BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Now you're going to take my World's Worst Runner crown from me! :wink:
    I meant NOT of course, my typing's even worse than my running :sad:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    I'm in the middle of redoing Week 6 right now, I did it, but my speed was only 5.5 mph, I want 6mph so I can run the 5k in 30 min, so I'm redoing week 6. Today I did day 1 and running at 6mph, on the treadmill, and walking at 3.5 mph was really hard work, but I did it!

I'll get back later and read all the great advice on this thread!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I did C25K week 5, workout 3, this morning, and it was easier than I expected. I jogged a lot of the 20 minutes uphill, but I never got out of breath. I think my endurance has been built up with another 3-4 miles of brisk walking after the jogging part. I'm kinda old (60), so I may have an edge when it comes to endurance. :wink:
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone will check back in on this old thread - but just in case - I wanted to let you all know I started week 8 last night. I can't believe it, but I'm running 28, uninterupted minutes - and it feels GREAT. The key for me was going slower. I'm about 5 MPH, but sometimes if I get a peppy song on itunes I kick it up - a smidge. By the end of next week, I'll be a C25K graduate. I'm signing up for my first 5K 4/28/2012 and I'm quite pleased with myself.

I can't thank you all enough for your overwhelmingly kind response and great advice!!! Love MFP'ers....XX
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Give it some time for your fitness level to catch up. You may need to do some strength training to build the muscles in your legs, hips, and core. I started doing C25K, but I got bored with it. After I developed my fitness level through it and doing classes like Step Aerobics, at my gym--I started running outside for fun. I'd say I'm the worst runner because I can't quite complete a 5k without stopping a few times, but I'm getting better. It still takes me over 40 minutes, but I can tell I'm getting better. I don't catch my second wind until after halfway.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Not sure if anyone will check back in on this old thread - but just in case - I wanted to let you all know I started week 8 last night. I can't believe it, but I'm running 28, uninterupted minutes - and it feels GREAT. The key for me was going slower. I'm about 5 MPH, but sometimes if I get a peppy song on itunes I kick it up - a smidge. By the end of next week, I'll be a C25K graduate. I'm signing up for my first 5K 4/28/2012 and I'm quite pleased with myself.

I can't thank you all enough for your overwhelmingly kind response and great advice!!! Love MFP'ers....XX
    That's fantastic, thanks for coming back with an update! :flowerforyou:
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You finished! That's great. I did the C25K program a few months ago...and I was discouraged several times along they way...I even sprained my ankle at one point and had to take 3 weeks off in the middle. But I finished. I completed my first 5k about 2 months ago and am starting to up my running time. I have good days still and "ugly" days still...just like with any exercise.

A piece of advice I read on these boards when I was discouraged really helped: if you need to repeat a week...do it. Just don't stop altogether. Progress is progress...even if it takes a bit longer.

You will do it. :happy:
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is still one of my most favorite topics - everyone who replied was so helpful & kind - such a good example of what MFP is about. One more follow up for anyone who checks up: I'm a runner now! I completed the C25K program in April, and I'll be running my 4th 5K race today. I jog about 4 times per week and am currently logging around 15 miles per week. I LOVE WHAT RUNNING HAS DONE FOR ME, both mentally & physically. For anyone starting a program who feel they can't do it - please read through the thread here - you can do it. My favorite pieces of advice:

* If you can run slower, you're going too fast. Endurance first, speed will come later
    *Go to a running speciality shop for shoes, if possible
    *Don't jump ahead in the program in the beginning
    *If you have to repeat a week, go ahead
    *Rest days - just do 3 days per week until you complete the program
    *Dynamic stretches pre-run, static stretches post

Those are my favorite pieces of advice. I'm going to slowly (not more than 10% increase per week) build to 20 miles per week, and get through multiple season's so I can definitely call myself a runner haha - and my goal for next year is to run a 10K. Thank you to everyone who posted advice - it TRULY helped & I appreciate it!
  • CarrieMyPhilos
    CarrieMyPhilos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For someone just starting out on the c25k, this thread is so encouraging! Thanks for all the comments and tips. I had a really tough run yesterday and I think it's a combination of the heat, my speed (need to slow down!) and wearing the wrong shoes. Thanks for all the ideas and inspiration!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm working my way through Galloway's Book on Running and his 5k/10k Running book and he is big on walking breaks all through the training. Maybe look at adding more walking breaks in. Your legs will thank you and your running periods will probably go a lot better.
  • BerryH
    Options
    That's fantastic! All you need to do now is wean yourself off using the word "jog" and you'll be a true dyed-in-the-wool runner! :wink: