Wash Your Hands!!!!

Options

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    They're doing your immune system a favor.
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    I think washing my hands every time I sneezed or coughed would be a huge pain in the *kitten*. I mean, what if I am no where near a bathroom? I mean, I don't sneeze or cough into my hands, so I think I should be safe.

I feel like the only really gross one is not washing your hands after using the bathroom. That's kind of a bad habit.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If she meant that, how come she quoted what I said? I never really said anything of the sort.
    [/quote]

You took the "you" a little too seriously. I didnt mean YOU personally! I just meant that in general I wasnt going to be convinced that people dont need to wash their hands...especially after using the restroom.
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    I'm not a germaphobe, but if I am in a public restroom washing my hands, and someone comes out of the stall and heads straight for the door, I ask them very loudly, "Aren't you going to wash your hands?" Most pretend they don't hear me and walk out, but I am betting they are very conscious of that experience every time thereafter.

Personally, no offense, but I find that rude..........its their own personal preference.........if you don't like it, you don't have to. I know I certainly don't like it myself, but embarrasing someone like that is not called for at all. I simply make it a point not to touch said door knob with my hands. I use the towel that I dry off with.......
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    I hear ya...its not so much a germ thing for me as it is a personal hygiene thing. I went to the bathroom at the mall one time and there was a lady leaving a stall with her kids.....she held them above the toilet while they peed all over the place then left it that way!!!! Come on, really??? I figured she probably had a phobia about public toilets and didn't want her kids touching it. Maybe she thought everybody does what she had just done! The mess she left for the poor attendant made me sick! Pretty rude.

You pose two different situations there........washing hands is one thing........a completely different thing to leave pee and fecal matter all over the toilet seat/bathroom stall floor and not clean it up........and I agree with you.......pretty gross and very rude.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I'm not a germaphobe, but if I am in a public restroom washing my hands, and someone comes out of the stall and heads straight for the door, I ask them very loudly, "Aren't you going to wash your hands?" Most pretend they don't hear me and walk out, but I am betting they are very conscious of that experience every time thereafter.

I bet they dont care...and I bet THEY never get sick either.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Respectfully I understand and people should wash their hands.........and I too get grossed out........but honestly, the world is full of germs and there is no way around it. You ARE going to get and transmit germs whether or not you like it........its the way it is. So if you are a germ-a-phobe then carry around some anti bacterial stuff if you don't want any germs
    Its not all germs. I get that germs can be good. But you will never convince me that someone elses **** germs are healthy for me!!! lol

There is no such thing as "someone else's germs."
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I hear ya...its not so much a germ thing for me as it is a personal hygiene thing. I went to the bathroom at the mall one time and there was a lady leaving a stall with her kids.....she held them above the toilet while they peed all over the place then left it that way!!!! Come on, really??? I figured she probably had a phobia about public toilets and didn't want her kids touching it. Maybe she thought everybody does what she had just done! The mess she left for the poor attendant made me sick! Pretty rude.

Amen.

If you're too afraid to touch the seat, and end up peeing all over the seat, then you shouldn't be allowed to use the public restroom. I'm appalled when I see a man use the stall (instead of the urinal..??), pee all over the seat (because he can't be bothered with "ewww.. touching the seat"), then leaves a piss covered seat for the guy who's coming in behind him in, shall we say, gastric distress, and has to hold back the "floodgates" while he first finds paper towels to clean off the ring.

A--hats!!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am an avid washer of hands...but I can't get all worked up about germs. to some extent your body needs exposure to low levels of viruses (like the cold and flu) and bacteria to strengthen your immune system. but at the same time yes, people should cover their noses/mouths when they sneeze/cough and wash their hands regularly. That being said I've lived in some really extreme conditions (I lived in a village in sub-Saharan Africa with no running water or indoor plumbing...or electricity for that matter) and local kids crowded around with unwashed hands after ****ing on the beach and snot running out of their nose. After that there isn't much that phases me.
  • clewis628
    clewis628 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I am one who heads straight for the door but as soon as I'm outside the door, I'm using my Purell. I HATE those hand blowers and so many bathrooms use them. They just spread the germs all over. They don't dry your hands. I also figure that even if I wash my hands, there are those who do just walk out the door so I'm touching the germs anyway. For that reason, I use the Purell after I walk out. So...next time you see someone walk out without washing, they might be reaching for the Purell as soon as they get out the door.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    They've actually done studies showing that no matter how hard you try, E. coli contamination (present in fecal matter), is everywhere. If you culture your toothbrush right now in an agar plate, it would grow E. coli bacteria. Even if it isn't in the bathroom. And washing your hands works, in the sense that soap decreases surface tension amd scrubs MOST of the bacteria from your hands. Doesn't kill any of them, in reality. It just makes it easier to detach them from the surface of your skin. If you atttempted a culture after washing your hands, you'd still grow bacteria, and some would likely be E. coli. It's inevitable, unless you live in a bubble: s*** is everywhere, and you can't do anything about it. May as well just not stress over it.
  • KJVBear33
    Options

I am one who heads straight for the door but as soon as I'm outside the door, I'm using my Purell. I HATE those hand blowers and so many bathrooms use them. They just spread the germs all over. They don't dry your hands. I also figure that even if I wash my hands, there are those who do just walk out the door so I'm touching the germs anyway. For that reason, I use the Purell after I walk out. So...next time you see someone walk out without washing, they might be reaching for the Purell as soon as they get out the door.

Amen ^^
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    germs schmerms. they are everywhere. I eat germs for breakfast.

(I like them best with bacon and syrup.)
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I dont stress over it...its just gross. Yes it may be present in some small scale, but thats no reason to just NOT wash your hands.
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    germs schmerms. they are everywhere. I eat germs for breakfast.

(I like them best with bacon and syrup.)

HA HA HA HA HA!!! Love it!!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!!
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    I dont stress over it...its just gross. Yes it may be present in some small scale, but thats no reason to just NOT wash your hands.

Yeah, but some prefer anti bacterial soap than actual soap and water........anti bacterial disinfectant is there for a reason.........yes, shouldn't erase washing hands, but if you are one of those who really wants to only wash their hands at home, why not? At least you ARE using SOMETHING (caps for emphasis, just fyi)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Purell doesn't actually "clean" your hands. It may kill the bacteria on it, but everything that was on your hands is still there...just spread around. I was appalled working in schools to see how hard schools push purell use instead of good old fashioned hand washing. I did a lot of icky science things like dissections and touching animals...I had to tell the teacher the kids had to wash their hands with warm soap and water!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    They've actually done studies showing that no matter how hard you try, E. coli contamination (present in fecal matter), is everywhere. If you culture your toothbrush right now in an agar plate, it would grow E. coli bacteria. Even if it isn't in the bathroom. And washing your hands works, in the sense that soap decreases surface tension amd scrubs MOST of the bacteria from your hands. Doesn't kill any of them, in reality. It just makes it easier to detach them from the surface of your skin. If you atttempted a culture after washing your hands, you'd still grow bacteria, and some would likely be E. coli. It's inevitable, unless you live in a bubble: s*** is everywhere, and you can't do anything about it. May as well just not stress over it.

Do you know why E. coli is present in fecal matter? Because it's present in your digestive tract all the time. In fact, it's a good thing. We humans have a mutualistic relationship with most strains of E. coli.

Your gut has bacteria, your skin has bacteria, everything you touch has bacteria. Most of it is either harmless or good for you when kept in the right places. In fact, the bacteria that causes staph infection is commonly found on the skin or in your nasal passages.
  • KJVBear33
    Options

Do you know why E. coli is present in fecal matter? Because it's present in your digestive tract all the time. In fact, it's a good thing. We humans have a mutualistic relationship with most strains of E. coli.

Your gut has bacteria, your skin has bacteria, everything you touch has bacteria. Most of it is either harmless or good for you when kept in the right places. In fact, the bacteria that causes staph infection is commonly found on the skin or in your nasal passages.

Nasal passages? Nose pickers beware!!! HA HA HA!! :)