? For ppl who work full time

Options
124»

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Simple - I don't deprive myself of anything (I just exercise moderation and self-control) and I don't keep crap in my house, so staying on track isn't that hard.
    And if I do eat crap, I just move on with my life and make better choices moving forward.
  • gagesmom314
    gagesmom314 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I struggle on the weekends big time! I try to go to the gym first thing Saturday morning. If we eat out I always look things up before we go out to know what I am having. I try to get a walk in in the afternoon on Saturday and sometimes on Sunday's. I don't go to the gym on Sunday's since we are normally pretty packed with family things. The weekends I am home more than I am away are the biggest struggle food wise. I find myself wanting to snack a lot more.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I get my workouts done first thing. On Saturday mornings I get up, eat breakfast, and hit the running trail and get it out of the way. Then I'm done for the day and can do whatever it is we've got going on (usually tee-ball games or practice, plans with friends, kids birthday parties, etc). On Sundays we make it like a family outing. My boyfriend, son and I go to breakfast, we go to church, then go to the gym and my son gets to play in the child activity center at the gym. Or we'll go to a park somewhere and do outdoorsy stuff. We like to make exercise a part of our regular family life!

For me it's harder to stay on track diet-wise on the weekends because we're always out and about doing stuff. The MFP app on my phone has helped a lot with that.

I workout Saturday mornings as well and do a long 3-4 mile walk in Sundays. So if I am overindulging at least I am burning some calories. I also don't buy junk b/c if it is in the house I will eat it, hence the 2 boxes of Girl Scout cookies in my desk at work LOL Lastly, pre-plan your weekend meals. I know I will have a couple of frozen waffles w/ a fruit and honey topping and bacon. Lunch is usually heavier and dinner is protein and veggies only and sometimes a baked sweet potato with cinnamon. PRE-PLANNING IS KEY!
  • bergsangel
    bergsangel Posts: 131
    Options
    Ditto
    I do a long run on Saturday so that gives me some extra calories to play with. :) I also will eat out a lot but I just try to look up all nutrition information before I leave so I know what to order and what to stay away from.

I think it's okay to give yourself a day off every now and then and eat what you want (within reason) and then get back on track the next day.
  • Buca412
    Buca412 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me, too. My boyfriend is in a band, so his shows don't help either. Sometimes we don't get home until 4AM and you can imagine that, yes, there is some drinking and possibly some late night snacking or grabbing something on the road after a show. Then there's wine expos, basketball games to watch, nice dinners to go to (we mostly eat local and avoid chains so not a lot of "looking it up beforehand" to be done) and then sometimes it's just that I don't feel like doing anything. I want a break.

It's really hard and I, too, am working on being more disciplined since I think that's really what it boils down to. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

I totally know what you're going through. Outside of my full-time job, I'm also in a band plus DJ weddings/events on the weekends. It completely throws my routine off and puts me on tilt. I try to be reasonable with my choices, but I also give myself some flexibility. After all, it is the weekend. I just try to not go overboard.
  • fran1515
    fran1515 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do longer and mix up my workouts on the weekend.I have been hiking the last few weekends 2-3 hrs long.
    I also weigh myself on Sunday after a long hard workout this way I have to watch what I eat on Friday night and Saturday.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I make sure the food only has healthy options so Im not tempted to bust out chips or any other kid of junk! As for exercise.... We usually do something active as a family. Run, play tennis, go to a park. Its easier to do stuff on the weekend with the family then I dont feel as selfish about working out. I also teach lessons on Saturday so that helps me with working out.
  • jabbaknight
    jabbaknight Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i've always tended to eat less at weekends, no routine so i use to forget to eat lunch so week days are better for me, i may be a bit 'unique' though ;-)
    I find myself in the same situation. I usually eat a light breakfast later than I do on the weekday, and don't eat lunch, and we usually eat an earlier dinner than usual (4-5:00). I also am more active on the weekend, and play indoor soccer on Sunday night, which burns off most of what I have eaten all day Sunday. As long as I am not just laying around the house, I don't think about eating too much.
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do a spinning class on a Saturday and find that rest of the day is filled with manically grocery shopping, cleaning the house and washing clothes. Because I'm rushing around I feel like there is no need to structure in an 'exercise' session! Sundays are then normally a family activity and with a three year old boy, it's normally active! I think my biggest danger area is snacking - mainly because I don't drink the same amount of water as I do at my desk. I'm trying to do better and most of all trying to worry less and enjoy my family and time off more! Good luck
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    if you weigh in weekly then weigh in on mondays, then you tend to think abt that weigh in all weekend long =)

That is a FANTASTIC idea!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I usually have lots of time to workout on the weekends but eating is the harder part, trying to plan ahead better, scheduling meals and a cheat meal, so it doesn't turn into weekend free for all.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't vary what I eat too much but I generally put in 2 hours of cardio 4-5 days a week so I can have the weekends be my relax time. I might do some yoga/stretching, maybe a walk at the grocery store, but no concerted effort to get out and work out (though I might attend a class at my gym on occasion). I find it harder to eat well during the week than on the weekends, because weekends are usually more open and conducive to cooking and such. One has to find their own pattern, but this has worked well for me.
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My most strenous workouts are on the weekend specifically on Saturday which helps me earn many more calories. I admit the weekends can be out of control sometimes but I tend to allow myself to go for longer periods of time without eating. For example I'll eat a pretty hearty breakfast, have a small snack sometime in the day and then for dinner I may eat more or eat things that are high in calorie. For the most part I stay within the calories alotted to me that day. Hope this helps.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    In the beginning of this journey I would plan my meals out ahead of time. Then I would set my timer on the stove to go off when it was time for my snack and meals. Sounds so petty but it worked for me in the beginning.

I LOVE THIS!! One of my biggest weekend issues is that I forget to eat, I normally only eat once maybe twice on weekends! great tip!