If you go to church...

Options
13»

Replies

• dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    We have a little book in every pew. It gets passed down the row, and everybody signs. The ushers pick them up after the offering and sort out the pages to identify visitors. Visitors are then sent a thank you card with an invitation to visit again. Members can also request minister visits or prayers on the sheet, and those sheets are sent to the pastor's office. I have been a member of that congregation since 1979 and the practice was on going when we arrived and continues today. Centenary UMC - New Bern, NC.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....no. I don't know of any denomination that has a "sign in sheet" per se. However, some churches have cards that visitors can fill out if they would like the Pastor, a deacon, or a church member to come visit them, but it's completely voluntary and has nothing to do with keeping tabs on individual attendance. Also, tithing envelopes so the treasurer can keep track (for your benefit) of what you have given throughout the year for tax purposes. But, again, completely voluntary. I usually just put my money in the plate without putting my name on it.

When I attend a Protestant church with friends it's this.
    My Buddhist sangha is so small we know who the newcomers and visitors are.
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    No my church doesn't do that either. We do ask visitor to fill our a card so the church can say thank you for worshiping with us and to see if you need anything.
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I believe our church has a book that guests can sign if they choose to do so. The church uses it to send thank you cards...
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    We have a large Sunday congregation, and our team of 'Welcomers' greet everyone at the door, not to count, but exactly that to make everyone, old and new, feel welcome. The 'sidesteams' who hand out hymn books and church notice sheets do a rough head count during the first hymns/songs, which we have to record in the church ledgers for every service - a more careful count is kept at every service during October (people attending more than one service in any week are asked to tell someone to avoid double-counting) so that our contribution to the diocese and wider church can be calculated.

Regular members of the congregation are encouraged to look out for people they know are missing (in case they are ill or need help so the pastoral team can be alerted) or visitors over coffee after the service, and if visitors wish a copy of our Welcome booklet with details of all our activities and a sheet to complete if they would like a member of the clergy to visit them.

I would be horrified if only those who had completed a form could join in communion - our church is open to all who wish to receive, and if they do not wish to receive it, are welcome to come up and receive a blessing.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    We have that, but just name and member/ visitor... not if you take communion.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I never fill them out.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My church has the slips but rarely does anyone fill them out. And they do not have anything in regards to communion on them.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    No one signs in and anyone can take communion at my church. Usually, guests names will be recorded and mentioned in the next week's bulletin along with the attendance head count. My church is small (about 30 regulars) so anyone new is always noticed and welcome.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I avoid church like the plague; however, when dragged to church as a child some churches had cards you filled out as a visitor and some had you self-identify during the sermon (the preacher would ask who was a visitor and you would stand).
  • djkamin60
    djkamin60 Posts: 88
    Options
    Never had a sign in sheet but ushers do head counts every so often. We do have a guest book at the back of church for visitors to sign and leave comments.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a large Lutheran church (not a mega-church, just a decent sized one) and they did have a sign in sheet at the pews. I'm guessing to make sure their head-counts were correct. On the paper you checked whether you took communion, whether you would like a visit/call from the pastor, whether you had prayer requests, etc. I think it was all statistical data (hey, all good Germans like data!)

I now go to a much smaller (but mightier!) Lutheran church and it's head-count only. If you no-show for a couple Sunday's you can bet someone will call wondering if you are OK :-)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    We have a "guest book" when you walk in . I attend a Catholic church
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Head counts, signing-in... it's all nuts. Your religion and prayer time is between you and God.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Head counts, signing-in... it's all nuts. Your religion and prayer time is between you and God.
    I think there have been valid explanations here on why some churches have members sign in or why they do head counts. Doing a head count to ensure everyone can receive communion doesn't sound "nuts" to me. We don't do it in our church, but I don't know that calling it "nuts" is appropriate.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    There's no sign in at ours. If someone is taking a headcount it's so discreet I've never seen it.
  • spottedlee
    spottedlee Posts: 372
    Options
    There's no sign in at ours. If someone is taking a headcount it's so discreet I've never seen it.
    It probably is,,, i know at my church, you never seen the greeter/usher pointing fingers to count, yet they provide a number on a little piece of paper and put it on top of offering plate at time of blessing so preist have an idea how many to feed for communion.