Sodium, Sodium, Sodium!!!

Options
How in the world do you manage to control your sodium intake? I'm driving myself crazy trying to find food and recipes that are below "horse-killing" levels of sodium.

What do you eat?
What do you cook?

Replies

• woman1961
    woman1961 Posts: 23
    Options
    look at the sodium intake before u prepare something that way ull know how much ur getting
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a helluva time getting it down. The key is homemade homemade homemade. Every time you eat something from a box, packet, tin or restaurant you're pretty much guaranteed to go over.

Look at my diary for today - about 1500mg over my goal of 2000. But then look what did it - the subway. If I'd have made that same sandwich at home, including making the bread myself... I'd have probably been able to get much closer.

The way I see it I'm eating about half the sodium I was and just gradually working towards wiping processed foods out of my diet altogether. I just couldn't do it all at once, I think I'd burn myself out.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Always drain canned food to remove some of that excess, unwanted sodium.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    eat more potassium
    drink more water
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i'm waay over every day :(
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Jeeeeezus, me too! I've never added salt to any of my food yet daily just by using canned products I'm over...freakin maddening

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]2272382.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • hklaquadra
    Options
    I almost never reach my sodium limit for the day, usually way under. I think the biggest thing is that I very rarely will use boxed mixes or bottled dressings, don't eat much in the way of canned goods, cook mostly everything fresh from raw ingredients. Cold cuts, especially ham, are terrible with sodium. Sneaky places for sodium...soda, beer...so READ READ READ LABELS!!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I stay below 2500, and usually below 2000 a day. Home cooking is important. I use fresh or frozen veggies, not canned. If I buy canned soup or beans, I look for light sodium versions.

I don't buy processed meat (lunch or deli meat). Instead, I cook up chicken/turkey/pork, using Mrs. Dash or other non-salt seasonings. I never add salt unless I'm baking something that actually needs it.

Reading labels makes a huge difference. Even something like mustard...some brands have plenty of unneeded sodium per serving.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm under in sodium, but probably only because I switched out my sodium for tons of sugar today!

The biggest change that helped my sodium was to buy deli cut meat and freeze it in sandwich portions for my lunches.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The American heart association's web site has some good ideas, check it out.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My heart dr told me for a few years "nothing out of a can, nothing frozen, no fast food" ...wish I had listened to him sooner!!

It is do-able though, I started on MFP Feb 4th and have been under 2000 minus three days when I was barely over!! If I can do it anyone can!!!

I pack a food bag for work every day with breakfast, lunch and snacks and try to make most of my own meals. Fresh protien and fruit and veggies, and I'm very choosy on what processed food I use. Have also switched to sea salt as it helps aid digestion and not full of fake stuff like table salt. Unsalted real butter. Lightly salted nuts. Anything canned gets rinsed and I only buy low sodium canned products.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Sodium is a required nutrient so having too little is just as bad as not having enough. Here is a list of potassium rich foods to counteract you're sodium intake:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    I have the same problem. We took our son our for lunch today to celebrate his piano performance and I had an under 550 cal entree from Applebys that eclipsed by daily total by 1000 in and of itself. It's hard but most days I can keep it near or under my limit now that I've started watching it.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i looked at your diary:

stop eating subway.
    eat more fruit, it doesn't have sodium.
    frozen vegetables have lower sodium than canned.
    check the label on chicken breast before you buy. Farm Fresh and Jewel and Whole Foods chicken breast are much lower in sodium than the brand you're currently using.
    eat a different type of cereal. cheerios, frosted shredded wheat, or something else you like. the "toasted rice cereal" is unbelievably higher in sodium than any cereal I've ever seen.
  • JMVice
    JMVice Posts: 6
    Options
    BirdsEye Streamfresh has a couple of really good brown and wild rice veggie mixes. There is no sauce and VERY little sodium. I usually take one for dinner at work and add a pouch of low sodium tuna. For a little added flavor try a Mrs. Dash with it.
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    I believe it's unrealistic to not buy packaged foods so I just make sure I buy 'low-sodium' everything!

I never add salt to food either. Homemade and fresh food is of course best as you can control your food. When I'm making things at home, I still used packaged ingredients but I sometimes halve sauces and add more water to lower sodium intake.
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Another good site is mayoclinic.com

1 tsp of table salt is 2,325 mg sodium. 1 Tbsp soy sauce = 1,000 mg.

Dietary Guidelines for Americans - limit sodium to less than 2,300 mg a day, or 1,500 mg if you are 51 or older, or if you are black, or have high B/P, diabetes or chronic kidney disease. Keep in mind that these are upper limits & less is usually best.

The American Heart Association - adults who are healthy should have no more than 2,300 mg sodium.

Your body needs some sodium to function properly because ti helps maintain the right balance of fluids in your body; helps transmit nerve impulses & influences the contraction & relaxation of muscles (including heart).

1. Cut down on salt gradually so you adjust to flavor.
    2. Don't add salt to water that you steam or cook with.
    3. Remove salt shaker from table.
    4. Use seasonings & spices for flavor, checking label that they have no sodium.
    5. Read all labels for sodium levels on nutrition info list - even if it says lower sodium, light sodium, etc., because they still might be over your goal.
    6. You will find that some foods are ridiculously high in sodium - cheese, soup, pizza, deli meats, condiments.
    7. Be aware that packaged foods that are low fat or fat-free might be very high in sodium to make up for flavor loss.
    8. MSG, baking soda, etc are types of sodium.
    9. Before eating out at a restaurant, check their menu online. Some have nutrient info available. If not available, find out what similar foods are, by searching on-line. Try to pre plan selections so you are in control when eating out.
    10. Experiment with recipes.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    uguguguguguughghghg!!!!

i can't do it!!!

i am addicted to salt
    i used to lick the salt shaker when i was a child:embarassed:

the adults in my family kept telling me it would dry up my blood...lol:bigsmile:
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    the adults in my family kept telling me it would dry up my blood...lol:bigsmile:

lol

this made sense to me...

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/How-Salt-Contributes-to-High-Blood-Pressure-Video
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Does anyone here exercise?

http://www.healthcastle.com/sports_nutrition_sodium.shtml

The RDI's are a bit too black and white. The sodium needs of a couch potato are going to vary a lot compared to someone who is exercising regularly.