Sodium, Sodium, Sodium!!!

Options

Replies

• millikenhomeschool
    Options
    While making my son's lunch, I ate one slice of deli turkey. All I can taste 10 minutes later is salt!! Definitely staying away from coldcuts is a good idea to lower sodium.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Here is what works for me:

1. PLAN YOUR ENTIRE DAY BEFORE YOU EAT ANYTHING. This way you can tweak your food decisions to stay at or near your goal.

2. ALWAYS CHECK THE NUTRITION FACTS! Salt hides in some of the oddest places, so you have to check everything, even those items that don't taste salty or that you wouldn't think would contain much salt. Meat is the perfect example. Many packaged meats in the stores are injected with salt brine. I saw a whole chicken that had 700mg of sodium per 3 oz. and that's before you even get to season the damn thing!

3.Cook with whole foods and from scratch as often as possible. The minute a boxed, canned, or highly processed food enter's the picture you are screwed. They use SO MUCH SALT!

4. If you must buy processed foods look for low or no salt added versions. TIP: the package doesn't always say "low sodium" on it, so shop around. The "reduced sodium" black beans still have 3-4 times the sodium of some of the organic canned beans. "Low sodium" chicken broth can be even worse. Some of those that are labeled "low sodium" still have 500mg of sodium per cup!!

5. When cooking from a recipe reduce or remove the "salt to taste". Unless you are baking a dessert, you can often times live without the salt.

6. When you want to salt something season with a spice blend rather than straight salt. You can significantly cut your sodium levels this way. For instance, Garlic Salt has under 300mg per 1/4 tsp versus the almost 500 mg per 1/4 tsp of Kosher salt or almost 600 mg per 1/4 tsp of table salt.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here exercise?

http://www.healthcastle.com/sports_nutrition_sodium.shtml

The RDI's are a bit too black and white. The sodium needs of a couch potato are going to vary a lot compared to someone who is exercising regularly.

I think it's pretty safe to say that most of us are not exercising for 3+ hours a day. I exercise anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour a day, and I keep my Salt to 2,000mg a day. That's plenty enough salt. The sad truth is that many of us eat 5,000, 6,000, 10,000 mg of sodium a day without even realizing it. Unless you are doing a triathlon, that amount of salt can do some serious damage to your body over time.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    check labels, always. fruits and veggies are your best friend. overly processed foods will contain lots of sodium so try to stay away from them as much as you can. some brands offer low-sodium or unsalted options (cambells soup for instance). fast food, even Subway, can contain LOTS of sodium. even a diet coke, while 0 calories, can contain sodium. reading labels is one of my greatest tools in weight loss!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Salt is nowhere as bad as made out UNLESS you have a blood pressure condition. I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    The biggest thing that gets me (and many people) is canned foods from stores, especially soups. For me, I often grab a Progresso soup and put it in my lunch bag. It's great in terms of calories and filling you up, but all the "stuff" that gives canned soups shelf life and flavor are also high in sodium.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How in the world do you manage to control your sodium intake? I'm driving myself crazy trying to find food and recipes that are below "horse-killing" levels of sodium.

What do you eat?
    What do you cook?

I don't add salt to almost anything. I cook at home using fresh, whole ingredients. Even on days I allow a more high-sodium treat, I rarely go above 1,500 mg. It isn't that difficult if you don't eat a lot of prepackaged or processed foods and you don't eat in restaurants a lot.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Salt is nowhere as bad as made out UNLESS you have a blood pressure condition. I wouldn't worry too much.

And also this. :-)

But if you're worried about it, see my previous post.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Eat foods with less preservatives.
  • LauraRose03
    LauraRose03 Posts: 140
    Options
    eat more potassium
    drink more water

This is my advice as well!!!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my sodium at 2000 grams a day. You can go over easily with processed and restaurant food. Drink plenty of water to flush your system.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i checked your diary and it looks like you eat a fair amount of processed foods and restaurant foods...great places to get sodium overload! There are lots of good suggestions here, among the best in my opinion:

check the labels on different items to see if there is a lower sodium alternative...I know brand loyalty can be strong, but stepping outside the box can lead to a larger variety of favorites

and

make your own food rather than buying for example ready made chicken salad

and

unless you have blood pressure issues it may not be the BFHD (Big Fat Hairy Deal) you think it is...ask your doctor!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated can goods and discovered how to cook that all from scratch.
    Try and stay away from box goods.
    Cook meals myself.

Doing those three things will really eliminate a ton of salt.
    I get most of my salt from dairy.

I have an open diary if you want to look. Salt is the one thing that i constantly look at in my mirco's and the only real thing that i get upset abt if i blow it!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I agree with this somewhat.
    For me, getting the salt down did wonders for my body and my scale started moving.
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Do you have a health reason to be worried about your sodium intake? Really when compared to the average American your sodium is not horribly high.

Personally, I suffer from kidney stones. Because of that I try to limit to 1500mg a day, my RD recommended no more then 2000mg with a minimum of 500mg. It is a concern for kidney stone patients because the excess sodium increases the amount of calcium in your urine. Eating out is impossible, but if I know I'll be doing it I substitute. Meats with no seasoning, removing cheese and dressings, limit the baked products, no deli meat, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that eats sushi with out soy sauce and wasabi. Oh and my beer option, Guinness. Only 19gm of sodium in the can.

Processed anything will have sodium, I'd rather get it from natural sources. Most foods have sodium, it's just a question of how much. I buy fresh chicken from Publix from their "greenwise" section. Six ounces of chicken has approximately 90mg of sodium, naturally occurring. It's hard, but a kidney stone is enough of an incentive for me.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

And also this. :-)

But if you're worried about it, see my previous post.

See this for interesting info on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RXvBveht0&t=32m46s
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a box it has too much!!!!
  • Mrsairforce
    Mrsairforce Posts: 130
    Options
    I eat clean for lunch and dinner most days. Every single day I eat grapes, carrots, and apples. I keep mine at around 1500 everyday except on indulgence days. I also cut my processed foods down to a minimum but I dont deprive myself, I dont use any added salt and I read every single label that I have.

Edit: Also, I have found when I go over 1700 I stall for days on end and don't lose..in fact I gain water weight. Not a fun thing. I drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water per day but on heavy workout days I try to get closer to 12.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat processed foods and avoid eating fast food it's fairly easy to avoid going over your sodium. I especially avoid anything canned...
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    My doc has be on 1500 and now after a few months I am generally well under, feel free to check my diary for ideas. Oh, and I rarely go to restaurants, one meal can take my entire allowance, lol.