How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• jdbaker01
    jdbaker01 Posts: 44
    Options
    had first at 18, then at 23 i had four in total.....i grew with them, they more my friends than children, my eldest is 30 this year :smile:
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    #1 @ 23 and #2 @ 26 Exactly 3 years apart. #1 was not planned, #2 was planned. I felt "ready" for #1 internally but not externally so much. What it boils down to more in my opinion is a couple things, have you been able to have a true MARRIED relationship with your husband for at LEAST 2 years pre baby? (get past the newly wed stage and get to date your husband while you don't have kids in the beginning!!!) and have you both finished the big life accomplishments like career training or school? I'm not saying these things can't be done while have kids... but it does make it much harder!!! And less time is able to be spent watching your child grow if your nose if stuck in a book! I know they say if you wait to have kids till you can afford them, then you will never have them... but you CAN make things easier on yourself and your life if you finish some life goals before having kids. I wish I did anyway! BUT... I DOOO like being a young-ER mom! When I'm at dance class waiting for my 4 yr old and talking to other moms, the "older" mom's do stick out a bit since the majority of people do parent within the 23-33 yr old time frame. They tend to sit alone and not really socialize as much as the younger moms do. Maybe that's not EVERY older mom's personality, BUT at least that's my experience.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter at 19 she's 2 now me and my DH are going to try 1-2 yrs. I just want to lose some weight first and I want to work for awhile. I think personally it depends on the person decision when some one is ready for it.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1st - 21
    2nd - 24
    3rd - 25

My wife (pictured) is a year older than me so just add a year for her. We do plan on having more in the future. :)
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    21 and 24.
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 25, we don't have any children and don't want any until we are at least 30. My mother is 45 and is expecting to have her 3rd child next month and is extremely healthy, the doctors told her she was healthier than many of the young moms they see. This will be her last though, I agree with many posters here, you have to do what's right for you. We are constantly having family nag us on when we will have kids...I tell them every time you ask, I add a year to the wait time :)
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    29, 31, 33, 35, 37 and 40.
  • queensassypants
    Options
    31.... i'm 33 now... planning to do it again in a couple years. i had a totally normal pregnancy, and gave birth naturally at home with no complications. if you are healthy, early 30's is a great time to have kids.
  • Polly464
    Polly464 Posts: 3
    Options
    I wanted mine young to try to lessen my Breast Cancer risk. They say the earlier the lower your chance. So, 25 with the first, 27 with the second. The boys are in High School now. We are still the young parents when we get together with the boys' friends or at their sporting events. My friend has just one in Kindergarten and I have no idea how she has the energy for him!
    My husband and I look back at pictures and say "What were we thinking?! We look like kids ourselves!" but it has all worked out well.
    It really is all a matter of personal choice. When you're ready, you're ready.
  • Hoover8it
    Hoover8it Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had Jessica at 29:smile:
  • mummymichelle
    mummymichelle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when I got pregnant and had my son when I was 20. I don't think it's about age, it's about whether you are ready to be a parent (even though I don't think you can ever be really ready!!), and not about the age. A teen parent could be better or worse than an "older" parent. So I wouldn't worry about age :) I would say though, that I wish I'd lost more weight before I got pregnant, cos it's hard to lose now I've got Lucas. But I wouldn't change him for the world :)
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was 27 with the first one and I'm 31 with the second on the way. I think 27 was a good time because if I would have waited a few more years, hubby and I would have been so set in our ways we may not have had any. We were living it up! But I wouldn't give up my little girl for anything. I would have been way to immature to have one younger (kudos to the mom's that do) and I'm not sure I'd have the energy if I would have waited until my mid-30s.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 20, 6 days before my 21st birthday. I had my second at 23 and a half, 7 days before my husbands 28th birthday.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    25. He wasn't planned. Now if I can plan it, #2 will be in about 3-4 years so about 34-35.
  • Otis08052005
    Otis08052005 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    41. Am I the only old Mom here? At least thanks in part to this site, I'm not a heavy set Mom in her forties anymore!
  • behroozer
    Options
    34 and pregnant with our first. Most of my friends are just having kids now. 30+ is definitely the new norm!
  • hollymathews
    Options
    had my first daughter a week before my 20th birthday and my 2nd at 22/23 xx
  • cd31106
    cd31106 Posts: 1
    Options
    i had twins at 35. my only pregnancy.
  • Faseret
    Faseret Posts: 20
    Options
    34 when I had my first and 36 for my second. For me it was the right choice, Out of my son's kindergarten class, I'm a few years older on average than most of the moms, but I don't really care.

I keep hearing that a lot depends on the area you're born and raised in. I find that to be very true where I live. I grew up in a large urban city and my friends on average were having kids right around the same age as me, whereas the moms in the small suburban community I'm raising my kids in now are on average 5 years younger than me.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    21 and 26 :) My second one was really hard on my body and it was harder for than when I was 21 so I completely understand where having them young would fit in. I can't imagine having my kids in my 30s just because I don't think I would have ever gotten off the party train. My first was a surprise and he sloooowed me way down,which was a good thing because I was a rock n roll wild child! :op