How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've had 7 pregnacy's.. I got married at 24 yrs old.
    1st pregnacy at 24
    2nd - 25
    3rd - 26
    4th - 28
    5th - 29
    6th - 30
    7th - 32

Do what works best for you and your family girl. Don't worry about statistics or people..
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    you need to talk to your OB about this. Sperm have a longer shelf life than eggs. When you're out of your 20's it gets exponentially harder to get pregnant. yes women in their 30's & 40's do get pregnant- many have to take fertility drugs.
    As for your question- I had my first baby at 21 and my 4th at 27 - another good thing about having kids young is that they will be grown and (hopefully) out of your home by the time you are 50 and tired of dealing with them LOL (j/k)
    kidding kind of- I'm 55 now and just too cranky & tired to deal with teenage drama anymore. Kids are for young people
  • misslissa121
    Options
    21 with my son, 28 with my twin girls, 5 kids all together, 17 year old twin step sons. I think I was way too young and not ready when I had my son. My mom was 21 with her first, and 40 with her last (I have a 15 year old sister) I think it is best to wait till YOU are ready, they aren't the one going to have the baby or raise it, you are. Doctors do consider women above the age of 35 at high risk, but they also consider anyone under the age of 21 at high risk now too since their bodies aren't developed enough. People are living longer, and staying healthier longer,and you are definitely in the right place to get healthy and get your life on track for a long healthy one. Your body, your kids, you make the decission that is right for you.
  • Kathee1956
    Kathee1956 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    38 When I had my first child, 42 for the second child. I do have to admit had I been fitter it would have made keeping up easier, but I would have sucked at being a mom in my 20's. I was just to into my own wishes and dreams to put someone first. I think maturity plays a big part, you have to be ready to put someone ahead of yourself. That comes at different ages for different people.:smile:
  • JersryGirl31
    Options
    I was 30 and 31 when my sons were born in 1979 and 1980, but it took me a while to get pregnant (3 yrs) and then my first son was still born in 1977. I would advise any young woman not to wait too long and to make sure she gets all vaccinations and a thorough check up ahead of time.
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i had my frist at 26 and my 2nd when i was 29.....
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    Me and nmy husband was 30 with the first one and 32 with the second one.

I think me waiting made me a better parent because I was more settled.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I had my first when I was 34 and 13 months later I had my second when I was 35. It was perfect for me. I am now 56. I say start your family when you are ready to do so. I was a better mom at 34 and 35 than I would have been when I was 25. Good luck!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I had a "whoopsy daisy" when I was 19, then the other two at 30 and 33.
  • JennBurke
    Options
    Was 28 with our first, 32 with our 2nd and 36 with our 3rd. Little more tired by 36 but had a lot more patience!
  • mnldreams
    mnldreams Posts: 21
    Options
    I was 21 with my 1st, 22 with my 2nd and just turned 24 with my 3rd! I think being younger i have a little more energy to keep up with them, however there are "older" moms at my sons pre-school that have tons of great advice and have had time to do their own thing and say they love that they waited so they didn't feel like they missed out on things in life. I think (like a lot of other people have said on here) you just do what is best for you and you will know when your ready...good luck :)
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    23 and 25. Glad to see there are many young moms out there. I always felt alone because most people around me were older moms (1978-80). Dr. Oz recommends women get their eggs frozen if they are going to wait; I'm not advocating this I'm just passing on the advice. My children are my biggest blessing!
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My first at 21, second at 22 and third at 24.
  • jeankh
    jeankh Posts: 68
    Options
    I dont have kids, but my mother had me when she was 29 and my sister when she was 32
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I had my first one when I was 19 and my most recent one at the age of 30. I feel more confident as a mother now than I did when I was 19.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Can't remember a time in my life when i didn't have kids of some kind around. From that day when they put you in one of those baskets with all the other screaming newborns to today when i go to a family get together and there are kids everywhere. They're always there, but I have no idea where they come from.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    26. I think early 30s would be fine but dont wait until 40, not enough energy to chase them around at that age.
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was 21 with a surprise pregnancy. then i had my second at 25!!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I had my son at 26 and my daughter at 33. It was harder getting pregnant with my daughter because of PCOS. And I can tell you, at least in my case I had so much more energy when I was younger, I handled the non sleeping much better at 26.
  • _CiaoParis
    _CiaoParis Posts: 166
    Options
    I had my daughter when I was 17 :)