Anyone else upset with the people they live with due to lack

Options
13»

Replies

• IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    itgeekwoman: I'm not married. Roommates. The good news is I get to "fire" them every few years. ;)
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    My husband eats like a 5 year old, I'm talking PB&J doritoes and a hostess cupcake for lunch. So I put a basket in the pantry that holds all of his junk foods. If its out or on a shelf I will eat it, but don't go in his basket. I know its seems trivial that a basket makes that much difference but it really works for me. Good Luck! I hope you can find something that works for you.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My sweetheart will pretty much eat whatever I put in front of him, or at least give it an honest try! :) He's a good boy. He does get his little candy cravings sometimes, but he's trying to help me lose the weight I've gained since we started dating, so he mostly behaves and even works out with me! I never had that with my ex-husband.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My hubby is forced to eat healthy, because I am the "chef" in the house and I write the grocery list(s). Although he does sneak in a few bags of chips, They seem to disappear somewhere..."I thought you ate them all!" (as I shove the bag quickly into the garbage). He drinks pop outside of the house, bc I wont allow "junk" in my house anymore since I gave up anything else for Lent.
  • akgrown4
    akgrown4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Mine is a totally different situation, fiance tries to eat like me, and he keeps losing weight, when he is already a healthy weight
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    I really don't have that problem at all -- when we got married 8 years ago my husband never ate veggies, he grew up in a house where theire idea of vegetable were canned sweet potatoes and mexi-corn now however, he asks for vegetable based meals on a regular basis and his fav. thing to go out to eat for is Thai food. Now, when my inlaws visit, I do all the cooking and they eat what I put in front of them. I've even gotten my MIL to try foods she's never seen before -- pretty much everyone around me has conformed to what I'm eating but like other posters have said, I go out of my way to create lower calorie, higher nutrient versions of all the foods I love -- no one really cares if its low cal/low fat if it smells and tastes good. Granted, if you're living at home with parents, etc. its much harder to feel like you have control over your own diet when the people shopping aren't on-board so to speak.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My hubby is forced to eat healthy, because I am the "chef" in the house and I write the grocery list(s). Although he does sneak in a few bags of chips, They seem to disappear somewhere..."I thought you ate them all!" (as I shove the bag quickly into the garbage). He drinks pop outside of the house, bc I wont allow "junk" in my house anymore since I gave up anything else for Lent.
    I feel sad for your husband. He is an adult and should be making his own choices. What would you do if he threw away your food?
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is skinny and has a wonderful metabolism, if he gains weight he skips a meal or two and it's all gone just like that!
    He and I just had a long talk about my diet foods because of my allergies there is not much "tasty" foods I can eat and he is feed up with it and bored,wants me to come home from my job that I work 64 hours a week at and make 2 dinners, one for him with "taste" ie cheese and butter and gluten. And then my allergy free foods.. I am so tired at the end the day he maybe eating more cereal a few nights a week.
    :huh: Get this when I said I would like to eat chicken and veggies and a dairy free protein drink for dinner he says "Your not a bodybuilder your a receptionist, you need to eat more NORMAL foods because your not a bodybuilder" UMMMM What???:noway:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't care what other people are eating unless they're my children.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I have a BF, that hears the word "Diet" and then first thing he says is "Let's go get mexican". Then my daughter, who is 18, will bring home all my favorite old foods, mexican. Oh just the smell makes it really hard for me to stay on track. Since both of them are naturally skinny they just reply," I don't need to watch what I eat". So frustrating.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My hubby will nag and complain about the food, lack of variety (but he won't buy imported vegetables, and there's so much in season, during a canadian winter), oh and my favourite: 'too much protein' - he's the first to have a sausage for breakfast, and eat an entire 13 ounce steak for dinner, but my cutting back carbs is making him eat too much meat. uh huh...

anyhow, besides the nagging, he's actually quite supportive, doesn't buy bread or potatoes anymore, and has his pasta when i am at work...
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    Just know that u have to do it for yourself whether u get a pat on the back or not, that is my motto, I had to do it for myself and try to set a good example. We only have one body, we can't trade it in and if you be strong and keep up the good work, you can win them over, be encouraged you are making the right choices
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is skinny and has a wonderful metabolism, if he gains weight he skips a meal or two and it's all gone just like that!
    He and I just had a long talk about my diet foods because of my allergies there is not much "tasty" foods I can eat and he is feed up with it and bored,wants me to come home from my job that I work 64 hours a week at and make 2 dinners, one for him with "taste" ie cheese and butter and gluten. And then my allergy free foods.. I am so tired at the end the day he maybe eating more cereal a few nights a week.
    :huh: Get this when I said I would like to eat chicken and veggies and a dairy free protein drink for dinner he says "Your not a bodybuilder your a receptionist, you need to eat more NORMAL foods because your not a bodybuilder" UMMMM What???:noway:

Well that just makes me sad to read this:(

My boyfriend is also skinny at 6'2" and 140lbs. He was the one who introduced me to the local farmer's weekly food basket. He is totally into organic food and won't eat processed or fast food. I, on the other hand, used to have a McDonald Cheese burger once a month with fries before MFP.

I am blessed, he cooks for me with my allergies in mind: wheat. He bakes the breads, made pasta with tapioca flour and make a lot of vegetarian meals. We eat meat 3 - 4 times a week. He's been really supportive.

The only thing that annoys me is when I pick up something to eat and he'll say, "Are you sure you can eat that? I didn't see you measure it"
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I deal with this daily, with my boyfriend, with my family and with my co-workers. At home my BF is also the guy who dismisses all "healthy" foods as gross, and sometimes rubs it in my face. My grandma comes from the mentality "you must clean your plate everytime, even when I give you seconds you didn't ask for." At work, we have fancy dinners where everyone orders appetizers, drinks and dessert. There's temptation everywhere, but the worst is at home with my bf. He also has a major sweet tooth and is always asking me to bake. I realized I can't change him, but he can help me with my goals. We agreed that he can keep buying crap, and I will keep baking for him, but he has to tell me "no" when I ask him to. I'm still learning to have will power over the cookie jar, so on night's when I'm not feeling so strong, I tell him I'm done and don't want to eat any more. It's easy to justify the sweets to myself but when he tells me "no" it's a good reminder why I'm doing this. It's not perfect obviously because he's not always around, but you just have to try to find something that will work for you. Sorry to say it, but this is going to be a challenge the rest of your life. There will always be people around who don't care about being healthy.

The other thing that I've found is it's usually easier to get people involved in a physical activity to change their diet. Often, once people start working out, they realize they need to change their diet too. Diet seems to come second. Maybe you can ask your family or at least one family member to walk with you one or two nights a week after dinner. If you make it a regular thing maybe they'll start to enjoy it, and get on board with the healthy eating too.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options

Well that just makes me sad to read this:(

My boyfriend is also skinny at 6'2" and 140lbs. He was the one who introduced me to the local farmer's weekly food basket. He is totally into organic food and won't eat processed or fast food. I, on the other hand, used to have a McDonald Cheese burger once a month with fries before MFP.

I am blessed, he cooks for me with my allergies in mind: wheat. He bakes the breads, made pasta with tapioca flour and make a lot of vegetarian meals. We eat meat 3 - 4 times a week. He's been really supportive.

The only thing that annoys me is when I pick up something to eat and he'll say, "Are you sure you can eat that? I didn't see you measure it"

that is so awesome, your so lucky :flowerforyou: ..the last part tho about him asking if you can eat that would be like , Um really???:flowerforyou:
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options

Dude. I'd care if people were eating my children too.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Dude. I'd care if people were eating my children too.

I re-read it the same way just now, too. :heart:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I'm upset with people who try to put an entire sentence in the Topic line. Keep it short and sweet and make use of an elipse....it makes people curious ;)