Should I buy this HRM?? No chest strap....

Options
http://www.xone1.com/watches/heart-rate-sports-watch/

I am tempted, there are only a few left but given the fact the price is a lot less than a Polar (plus it has no "chest strap" do you think it'd be inaccurate?

Any experts/seasoned HRM user out there who could give me their views?

Replies

• Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    That looks good but I really want a FitBit. http://www.fitbit.com/

I know it's not a HRM but it syncs to MFP. How cool is that?!?!
  • wlgreen379
    wlgreen379 Posts: 104
    Options
    I have one without a chest strap and now I wish I had returned it. It's convenient in a way, but you have to manually check your heart rate fairly frequently in order to be able to get a decent reading. Also, once I hit a certain level of sweat it stops working. Go with the chest strap and I think you will be happier.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am under the impression that the chest strap ensures more accurate readings. I don't personally have one yet so I am just repeating what I have heard. I have several friends who have the Fitbit and love it. Even though it is not a HRM they say it motivates them to make sure they are moving more and more everyday. I think if you have a certain fitness level already, then a HRM would be more helpful than the fitbit as it does not monitor HR.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have heard and read the HRM without the chest strap are not as accurate... I purchased the Polar FT60 and love it!! Works everytime, never loses my HR and also measure my V02Max and has built in training programs as well as the fact it is GPS upgradable in the future if I ever want to add the foot pod..... Good Luck!!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input guys.

I think chest strap HRM is the way forward. I want it to be as accurate as possible basically, but they all just seem too costly right now. It'll be worth it in the long run I guess.

By the way....that Fitbit actually looks brilliant - love it - who knows anyone that has one (or indeed who has one themseles)?
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Also - I cycle a lot....do you think a Fitbit would be able to track calories burned doing that?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have a hrm that isn't and i like it alot. it's a mio classic and i have found it to be pretty accurate. i only paid around 30 bucks for it.
  • beth230blue
    beth230blue Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and a fit bit. Bought the fit bit first but found that MFP goes on and off syncing with it. Frankly I like the HRM better. I bought the Triathalon one...cheaper than polar, functions as a sport watch too and I love it. Has a chest strap so you get an accurate reading and it tracks calories burned based on your weight which is programmed into the watch.

Did a bunch of research and extremely good value for money. The fit bit is lonely on my desk.
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330697843&sr=8-1

I have one of these, I am not sure what British pounds transfer to in American $$, but I love this. I wear it all the time just to see how many calories it takes to do things:smile:
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Also - I cycle a lot....do you think a Fitbit would be able to track calories burned doing that?

I have a Fitbit and I do love it but I don't have it synced to the MFP anymore. As for cycling no, it is not good for that since you wear it on your waist or bra strap. You would have to input that you did cycling and for how long then it will adjust your calories.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm not a "seasoned user" by any means...in fact I just got mine and have only used it once. Its a Polar and was $75 US Dollars and shipping was free. It came with a chest strap and I do think that having that makes it more accurate.

I always see people on here say "you get what you pay for" and thats true. The first one I bought was much cheaper but it was HORRIBLE! I took it back after using it one time. Spend the extra money and get a durable HRM with a chest strap. You won't be disppointed! And most of the good brands have a two-year guarantee.

Hope this helps...good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jolheiden
    Options
    I have the Polar chest one and love it. It is very good i think. It is more accurate then the treadmill for sure.
  • medicrenee
    medicrenee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have both the fit bit and a HRM I use the fitbit for walking and steps and sleep and then at the gym HRM without chest strap S7 from walmart. has great reviews and is cheap.28.00
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I would save a little more and get one with a chest strap.... otherwise for an accurate burn you are going to basically have to be reaching across and touching the metal points on the top of the watch constantly to get an accurate burn.
  • AandJsMommy
    AandJsMommy Posts: 314
    Options
    I wouldn't buy one without a chest strap. I had bought one without a chest strap before I got my polar and it was not accurate at all. I love my polar and I have had it for 2 years!!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I got a garmin HRM watch / chest strap, and the additional bike cadence/speed/distance monitor, very helpful for cycling.
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I received a Polar FT7 for Christmas and I love it. I think it was around $70. If you search online you can find different prices. I would definitely go for one with a chest strap, though.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Only if you like to waste money

If it doesn't have a chest strap, its' not going to be accurate. You may as well use the guesses from MFP or some other website that thinks its knows what you burn -- they are all just as inaccurate.

You get what you pay for. Spend a little more and get a good HRM with a chest strap.

I would not actually trust the calorie burned on a fitbit either - if thats your real reason for wanting an HRM.
    That is more of a boosted up pedometer and its very cool for certain activities, but not tracking acurrate calories burned.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    It is not going to be accurate without a chest strap.
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i had the watch type that used your fingers i HATED it was WAY off on accuracy!!! its a pain in the but to test your heart rate when your going strong on a machine, and sometimes if your moving around to much it wont even take your heart rate you have to stop wait for it to take it and then start working out again no good!!! i recently got one with a cheast strap and boy do i regret ever getting the other one...

it was very affordable so i wish i could have never gotten the other type which was only $10 less!!!

i got a oregon from walmart.com its not fansy but it does the job!!!