Should I buy this HRM?? No chest strap....

Options

Replies

• jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Its not nearly as accurate as a chest strap because you have to continuously stop and manually check it. i bought a 50.00 one with the watch and chest strap at walmart and have had it over a month and it works great! i absolutley love it! Good luck with whatever you decide
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have a chest strap, save your money. It is useless for calorie estimation.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Every person i know who has purchased the watch type hates it! I bought the Polar FT7 and it is super accurate and such a help with keeping me on track. I think if you tried it you'd be very happy with it. Def worth the money :smile:
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have a chest strap, save your money. It is useless for calorie estimation.

Amen!!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    That looks good but I really want a FitBit. http://www.fitbit.com/

I know it's not a HRM but it syncs to MFP. How cool is that?!?!

I freaking love my FitBit. I'm finding it to be so much more useful than my HRM, that is now collecting dust!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Such helpful feedback everyone, really appreicate your advice! :smile:

I've decided I'm definitely going for a Polar with chest strap, it'll really come in handy for years to come so I've no doubt that it will be used day in day out.

Knowing this, it'll most certainly be a very worthwhile investment.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    http://www.xone1.com/watches/heart-rate-sports-watch/

I am tempted, there are only a few left but given the fact the price is a lot less than a Polar (plus it has no "chest strap" do you think it'd be inaccurate?

Any experts/seasoned HRM user out there who could give me their views?

I really wouldn't recommend an HRM without a chest strap.
  • LawRahB
    LawRahB Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread...I'm also trying to figure out which to buy! I have seen a few people mention the Polar FT7. Does that come with chest strap or do you buy the chest strap separately?
  • angeleyes2u78
    angeleyes2u78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have both the fit bit and a HRM I use the fitbit for walking and steps and sleep and then at the gym HRM without chest strap S7 from walmart. has great reviews and is cheap.28.00

This is the one I have, not sure what kind of results you are getting from it and how accurate it is???? Any info on what you have personally seen using it?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4!! It has a chest strap and saw one on Amazon just the other day for around $70.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have one without a chest strap and I wish I wouldn't have gotten it. Spend the extra money for one with a strap.
  • eeebee
    Options
    Whilst looking online for a Polar HRM - I found this.....not bad price at all (to my surprise) includes chest strap and has pretty good reviews (35 of them) anyone ever used or seen one before?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3028539/c_1/1|category_root|Health+and+personal+care|14418350/c_2/2|14418350|Health+monitors+and+aids|14418375/c_3/3|cat_14418375|Heart+rate+monitors|14418382.htm
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I got a garmin HRM watch / chest strap, and the additional bike cadence/speed/distance monitor, very helpful for cycling.

^^^ Me too...i have the Garmin FR60 (watch w/chest strap). I also have a foot pod to measure distance and like he said above, you can get a bike attacment for it that measures speed/distance etc. I love this HRM. It cost me around $100 but i believe it's worth every penny.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I've decided I'm definitely going for a Polar with chest strap, it'll really come in handy for years to come so I've no doubt that it will be used day in day out.

Good choice, and they have a cycling attachment too that'll improve the calories burned estimate when you bike.
  • eeebee
    Options
    I got a garmin HRM watch / chest strap, and the additional bike cadence/speed/distance monitor, very helpful for cycling.

^^^ Me too...i have the Garmin FR60 (watch w/chest strap). I also have a foot pod to measure distance and like he said above, you can get a bike attacment for it that measures speed/distance etc. I love this HRM. It cost me around $100 but i believe it's worth every penny.

$30/£30 extra for the cycling tracker attachment thing actually might really be useful, I cycle 5 x a week between 25 - 40 mins each time and then do spinning once/twice a week so would it be worth it you reckon?
  • eeebee
    Options

Good choice, and they have a cycling attachment too that'll improve the calories burned estimate when you bike.

Is Polar better than Garmin, sorry for all these questions :blushing: all this advice is so sound.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: a great big NO! Get the FitBit. It even tracks the calories you burn while you SLEEP, counts your steps, counts the stairs you climb, counts calorie burn and synchs with MFP.

www.fitbit.com

There is NO subscription fee to pay either. :)

I got mine recently and love using it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Is Polar better than Garmin, sorry for all these questions :blushing: all this advice is so sound.

I didn't do a lot of research for cycling as that's not my thing, sorry. The ones at the $100 range, from what I could tell, where pretty comparable but I saw slightly more positive reviews for Polar and went with that brand. I quite like mine so far. If you want to spring the extra dough for a GPS one I'd say go with Garmin, the 305 and 405 look pretty baller.

If you use an iPhone or Android or something and are considering getting an App to assist you, look into what model/brand goes best with your app of choice, that should help narrow it down too.
  • mobiledreams12
    Options
    Its not nearly as accurate as a chest strap because you have to continuously stop and manually check it. i bought a 50.00 one with the watch and chest strap at walmart and have had it over a month and it works great! i absolutley love it! Good luck with whatever you decide

Correct... the ones without chest straps rely on you touching button occasionally to "sample" your heart rate from the pulse in your finger. They aren't very accurate!
  • mobiledreams12
    Options

I prefer Polar... I got this one for my girlfriend for Xmas... she uses it for Zumba and loves it:
    http://www.base.com/Other/FT7F-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Black-Gold/SAL-POL-90036747/product.htm