Confused.

Ok so speaking calories, how the hell do you lose weight? I know eat right and exercise but i mean numbers. I keep hearing different things.
1. My BMR is around 1450 so I eat 1450 and burn 400 with exercise now i'm at net 1050. Do i leave it or eat back 400? Why? Wont i just maintain?
2. My BMR is 1450 i eat 1800 and burn 400. Net 1400. Leave it? why?
3. My BMR is 1450 I eat 1200 burn 400 net 800. Eat up to 1200? Stay at 800? Why or why not? It creates a decrease right?

These numbers are not exact just estimated.

I'm currently 5'8 157 and 22 yrs. Trying to lose 30 pounds.
I also have a long history of Bingeing and purging which i'm trying to get under control and doing well most days. I realize this is going to make it harder to lose weight but i'm trying.

Opinions?

Replies

• sam939
    sam939 Posts: 11 Member
    So, it sounds similar to something that I asked earlier this week. I posted here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/507821-bmr-bmi-my-goal-i-don-t-get-any-of-it

In the end it depends on how much you want to lose/week. "Chuckles217" explains this really well in response to my question. You have to burn enough calories to lose X pounds/week. One pound = 3500 calories. 3500 calories/7 days a week= 500 calories to burn /day. You need to subtract that from the BMR for your goal, but you can get back more calories (which you can eat) by working out. I have had the problem some days with not having enough calories (<1200). You need to eat.

I'm glad you're working on your eating disorder! One day at a time.
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    So, it sounds similar to something that I asked earlier this week. I posted here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/507821-bmr-bmi-my-goal-i-don-t-get-any-of-it

In the end it depends on how much you want to lose/week. "Chuckles217" explains this really well in response to my question. You have to burn enough calories to lose X pounds/week. One pound = 3500 calories. 3500 calories/7 days a week= 500 calories to burn /day. You need to subtract that from the BMR for your goal, but you can get back more calories (which you can eat) by working out. I have had the problem some days with not having enough calories (<1200). You need to eat.

So My BMR is 1500 (just figured it out with the tools) -500 is 1000. So i need to eat 1000 a day? If i burn 400 and my net is 600 I can eat 400 more?
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member

So My BMR is 1500 (just figured it out with the tools) -500 is 1000. So i need to eat 1000 a day? If i burn 400 and my net is 600 I can eat 400 more?
    yes!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    You may want to read through the first couple of pages of this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything

There's lots of good info here.
  • Evelyn_22

yes!
    Gotcha. Thanks :D
  • Evelyn_22
    Will do thank you.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Your BMR isn't the only number in your energy expenditure. BMR is just the amount of energy your body uses to stay alive - keep your heart beating, cells repairing, lungs pumping etc.

On top of that you've got to add on extra numbers to account for how active you usually are. This will get you your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE).

TDEE is usually calculated as BMR x 1.2 if you're sedentary (or have a sit-down job), BMR x 1.375 if you're lightly active (eg. stand-up and move around all day sort of job), and even higher if you have a very heavy physical job or if you're an athlete in training.

So if your BMR is 1450 and you have a sit down job you would calculate TDEE as:

1450 x 1.2 = 1740 calories burned per day.

Following so far?

Now let's say you want to lose 1 lb per week. 1 lb is about 3500 calories, so you would need to maintain a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day (500 x 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 lb)

1740 - 500 = you should eat 1240 per day.

This is if you don't work out.

If you DO work out. You might figure out that 500 calorie deficit like this:

Eat 250 cals less per day and burn 250 more cals with a 30-45 minute walk. (250 not eaten + 250 burned = 500 calories deficit)

So now your day looks like this:

Eat (1740-250) = 1490 calories.
    Work out until you burn 250 calories.

Make sense?

Here's the tricky part, the formulas for calculating BMR, TDEE, and exercise calories burned are all only best guesses. Everyone is different and the body is unfathomably complex so no one equation fits all. So what you have to do is pick a starting point, follow it for a few weeks and see what happens. If you lose then great. If you don't lose then you might need to recalculate the numbers downwards a smidge and try again. If you lose way too fast (and you're sure it's not just water weight) then you might nudge the numbers up.

Here's the even trickier part. As you lose weight you get smaller you require less calories each day. Smaller bodies take less energy to move around, so not only will you burn gradually less calories for the same workouts, but also less food will be needed to keep you going. So as you lose weight you also have to continually recalculate your numbers to compensate for this too. This is why it's easier to lose weight if you're really heavy than if you're just 20lbs over normal.

Hope that helps.
  • sam939
    sam939 Posts: 11 Member
    I don't know if its healthy to eat that few calories/day...but as long as you continue to work on you - mind body and soul - you've got my vote! I'm 5'8", and I started at 180. I'm seeing results like I've never seen any other time before, and I'm so happy for it. It really does work. Just track your calories, drink your water, watch your salt...I'm actually loving this! :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member

No you should not subtract 500 from your BMR, you should subtract it from your TDEE.

Subtracting 500 from your BMR, especially if you are a small person with a low BMR in the first place might put you into very low calorie intakes that could be harmful in the long term.
  • Evelyn_22
    So wait should my net be 1000 or 1250? Here we go again. I get the TDEE thing but the other post said 1000 net is right.
  • mylilliam
    mylilliam Posts: 27 Member
    bumping coz i get confused by this also.
  • Evelyn_22
    Ok so for the TDEE thing. My BMR is actually 1520 so says the tools here.
    1520x1.2=1824 calories. So this is what I burn every day just being awake, showering, on the computer? Right?
    So to lose 2 pounds a week that -1000 calories.
    So say 1820-600 (from food) =1220 calories to eat a day. Then burn another 400 with exercise? So my net is 820? That would make me lose 2 pounds a week? If i eat 1220 and burn 400?
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    yes!

NO! Your BMR should be the minimum number of calories you take in as a net amount. You want to create your calorie deficit off the amount your body burns with daily activity - BMR is the amount it needs for basic functions.

If you are struggling with the math, just set MFP to lose 1lb/week, work out, and eat back your exercise calories. It will do the math for you and you'll be fine, and you'll more than likely lose more than 1lb/week on average.
  • Evelyn_22
    yes!

NO! Your BMR should be the minimum number of calories you take in as a net amount. You want to create your calorie deficit off the amount your body burns with daily activity - BMR is the amount it needs for basic functions.

If you are struggling with the math, just set MFP to lose 1lb/week, work out, and eat back your exercise calories. It will do the math for you and you'll be fine, and you'll more than likely lose more than 1lb/week on average.

But if I eat as much as my BMR wont i just maintain? I was just confused on how the whole thing works.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Try to net no less than 1200 a day.
    Your BMR is just what it takes to keep you alive, you burn more than that once you wake up and start moving.
    Net 1200 to 1400 a day and you will still lose weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    READ THAT THREAD. BMR & "Maintenance Calories" are two different things. Maintenance is the same as TDEE.

You cannot lose two pounds a week safely!!!!!!!!!

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

From the MFP BMR calculator page: "Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation."

These are the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations (weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years):

Male: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age + 5
    Female: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age - 161

YOU are responsible for choosing an accurate activity rate. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have ANY type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.