Alternative to DeadLifts/Rows?

Options
13»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am almost finished with stage one and really suggest you just use one of the bars from the bench. Just wait until one is open and grab it.

Also, by assisted squats do you mean a smith machine? (the bar is connected to metal pole that limit its mobility) If so...step slowly away from these and never go back. It's worth the trouble to be using "oly" bars (the big 45 lbs ones at the bench presses) for all your squats and deadlifts in this program. You will eventually get to a point where you can't continue to use dumbbells. Might as well start now!

I actually have to move an extra oly bar from another place in the gym over to the smith squat rack and use that to do these exercises (deadlift can be of course done in any open space). Just do it!

^ This on smith machines... I've seen some SCARY movements on these things...that smith guy should be ashamed of himself

Really? Ugh....I asked the gym people to show me the squat rack and that's what they pointed me toward. Guess I need to reevaluate that.

Wow, yeah don't ask them for help. LOL. The Smith machine has it's place but not for this, stick to Back Squats in the Squat Rack (full rack or half rack).

A full rack will look something like this, http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=391&m=PD&pid=3234

A half-rack will be some version of the full rack with some section of the front lopped off basically.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am almost finished with stage one and really suggest you just use one of the bars from the bench. Just wait until one is open and grab it.

Also, by assisted squats do you mean a smith machine? (the bar is connected to metal pole that limit its mobility) If so...step slowly away from these and never go back. It's worth the trouble to be using "oly" bars (the big 45 lbs ones at the bench presses) for all your squats and deadlifts in this program. You will eventually get to a point where you can't continue to use dumbbells. Might as well start now!

I actually have to move an extra oly bar from another place in the gym over to the smith squat rack and use that to do these exercises (deadlift can be of course done in any open space). Just do it!

^ This on smith machines... I've seen some SCARY movements on these things...that smith guy should be ashamed of himself

Really? Ugh....I asked the gym people to show me the squat rack and that's what they pointed me toward. Guess I need to reevaluate that.

Wow, yeah don't ask them for help. LOL. The Smith machine has it's place but not for this, stick to Back Squats in the Squat Rack (full rack or half rack).

A full rack will look something like this, http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=391&m=PD&pid=3234

A half-rack will be some version of the full rack with some section of the front lopped off basically.

Yeah, that's right next to this machine. Next time, I'll know. I really hate this Y that I'm going to. I wonder if me using this thing could be why I'm having a hard time achieving good form.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You could DL just the bar. 45lbs and go from there.

The average person should be able to start at around 95 lbs. All though at first this might "seem" hard until your hands gain enough strength to support the weight, your body will not shudder.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's right next to this machine. Next time, I'll know. I really hate this Y that I'm going to. I wonder if me using this thing could be why I'm having a hard time achieving good form.

It's possible the Smith Machine is affecting your form because it can be restricting.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Since we're talking about squats now, this video is phenomenal!

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_the_squat_bar_position