america's next top model plus size cycle

Options
13»

Replies

• dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    how about a biggest loser/top model show...? It would be great seeing them lose weight and model every week. Just like people on here lose every week....
  • Trophyyf
    Trophyyf Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Did I just read that a size 8 is plus size? LoL wow I'm super sized then!!! Where is there a Next Top Model Super Sized?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    They'd be sizes 8-14 and that would be terribly insulting.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure, size 12 and up is considered plus size.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Even at my goal weight, I will still be a 12.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Who gives a *kitten* what society says plus size is. Considering we are all part of society we let them set these standards by buying into the bullsh!t
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Even at my goal weight, I will still be a 12.

And what's wrong with that? I bet you'll still looking smoking at your goal weight.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it... I'm a 5'9, wear size 8 and definitely don't consider myself plus size. If the modeling industry wants to consider me "plus size" that's fine. I know that in reality I'm healthy and very much a normal size.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    For regular life, no, a size 8 is not plus sized. In the fashion industry, it is considered plus sized. There is a difference.

The fashion industry gets a lot of flack for emaciated models, but MANY designers these days are refusing to employ models who appear to be unhealthily thin. Michael Kors and Diane von Furstenberg are the first 2 that come to mind. "Sample size" for designer clothing is roughly a size 2. While designers realize that most women are not a size 2, the thin models are used almost as hangers for their garments. The prime objective of a designer and model when putting on a runway show or creating an ad for a magazine is how to make people notice the garment first. If you've got a voluptuous model with sexy curves, people are less likely to notice the clothing first.

Now, I personally love the super models of the 90s. Cindy Crawford, Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum (although she has been modeling her VSes more recently than Tyra). More curves. But even at the height of their careers, they were all slim and roughly a size 2 or 4--they just had more curves.

I think women of all sizes can be seen as beautiful. Look at Crystal Renn. At the beginning of her modeling career she was plus sized, and arguable one of the most successful plus sized models ever. But now, she is considered a standard sized model (she has lost quite a bit of weight). And she has looked absolutely beautiful and every size she's been.

To sum it up: real life sizing and fashion sizing are NOT THE SAME THING. Nobody thinks you're actually plus sized if you're a size 8. It's simply a term in the fashion world for women who are not sample sized.

Well said!
  • Hannah_PRprincess13
    Options
    i think they need to make a cycle based on only plus size models size because theyve had a short cycle all star cycle and now mixed cycle now they need to have a plus size cycle

TOTALLY AGREE!
  • Hannah_PRprincess13
    Options
    I'm not being critical of you personally, but the thought that a size 8 would be considered plus size in our society BLOWS MY MIND. :)

Then I must be considered obese....LOL
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Does it not depress anyone else that size 8 is considered "plus size"?

doesnt depress me, disgusts me.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I LOVED when they had Tocarra on the show! I think they should have a plus size show and also one featuring men