Anyone else on a 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I just dont see the point in exercising to burn off calories if you are just going to put those calories back on. that doesnt make sense to me. :/

Even without exercise MFP has set a defict for you to lose the weight you entered, 1lb, 2lb etc

if you want to keep exactly the SAME defict that MFP set, based on what you input, then you should eat them - that's what they are there for, to mainatin the deficit you chose.

If you aren't going to eat them back, and are using the exercise to create a bigger deficit, then you'd be better setting MFP to a smaller loss, so that part of the deficit comes from exercise and part comes from the food.

You shouldn't be making your deficit more that 1000, so if you have set up MFP to lose 2lb per week, you are already at a defict of 1000 calories per day, and exercise will make that deficit even bigger, which is not recommended.
  • chikka_909
    Options
    I stared this diet a few days ago and i was wondering will it actually work. I play football (soccer) 2 times a week and hae started running once a week, do yous think this is enough exercise. I have tendonitis in my knees so i have to watch what im doing exercise wise. Do you think i could lose a stone and how quickly, without harming myself
  • lomajess
    lomajess Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories a day, started this past week monday, & it hasn't been that hard. I only went over my calories once & that was yesterday, beeen exercising everyday tho at least 4 miles a day & I eat back my calories.

No artifical sweetners for me, if I go that route I get the shacks, I noticed my body needs sugar to run.

But as for the fatty food I ate Mcdonalds Thursday night (Worked it into my Calories) & Pizza Hut Friday (I went over) by like 200 at most. (I had to have a cake an employee farewell party) & did an extra 2miles for Friday

as for the rest of the foods, I've been choosing healthier foods, less carbs at night but boy do I love my carbs in the morning, my coach recommend I eat the most carbs in the AM because its my fuel food.

I have not weighed in yet, last weigh in was 2/22/12 & my next one is 3/7/2012
    I can feel the difference tho & see it too, my pants arent as tight, my tummy is not sticking out as much as it use to.
  • bobbibear
    Options
    it really makes people weak? i'm on an 800-a-day diet, lool. i don't get weak or tired at all and go on my cross trainer 3 times a week for 30 mins each time..it's easy
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 cal diet and yes I do eat back most of my calories lost.... It's been a week and I've lost 4lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You have to take into consideration what activity level you set when you joined MFP. Unless you chose "sedentary," some of your exercise calories already counted in your total. You can't eat those back, because that would be double-counting.

I just chose sedentary so ALL exercise I do entitles me to eat more calories that day.

I've never exercised so much in my life :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    it really makes people weak? i'm on an 800-a-day diet, lool. i don't get weak or tired at all and go on my cross trainer 3 times a week for 30 mins each time..it's easy

Yes, it does make some people weak. Some people NEED more calories each day. If I tried to live on 1200 calories a day, I would be threatening to eat small children and neighborhood pets. Considering I can lose weight easily by staying around 2100-2200 net calories - yeah, I would be weak, passing out and most likely feeling quite ill if all I had was 1200 calories a day.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Yes, it does make some people weak. Some people NEED more calories each day. If I tried to live on 1200 calories a day, I would be threatening to eat small children and neighborhood pets. Considering I can lose weight easily by staying around 2100-2200 net calories - yeah, I would be weak, passing out and most likely feeling quite ill if all I had was 1200 calories a day.

I started on 1200 and it made me weak - I felt lightheaded and faint.

I'm now on 1750, and losing better than on 1200.

If an adult isn't hungry on 800 it's because their metabolism has slowed down and their body has got used to it.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Those who are only eating 1200 calories per day are just setting themselves up for misery and health issues down the road, not to mention, a shot metabolism!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

READ UP!
    MFP has told me and several of us others to eat 1200 calories a day.

It will tell everyone that if you tell it you want to lose 2 pounds a week. This is not realistic though for someone who only has 10-20 pounds to lose. It might be short term if you have 150-200 pounds to lose. That's ok, just keep commenting and I'll keep banging my head against a wall. Multiple people have tried to explain it in several different ways, I don't understand why it's so difficult.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm on it, I do go over at times or when I don't exercise but for the mostpart, I stay at 1200 or under, started Dec 31st at 137, today I am 122, my abs have never been able to show eating more that's for sure.......
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sittin' pretty on a 1280-calorie diet at the moment! I usually ingest between 2000 and 2500 calories though, because I work my *kitten* off with exercise! It's weird to be a guy eating so few calories though...but I want to drop the weight fast so...whatever it takes!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! I loe these threads...You'll be fat forever and never lose weight. You'll be skinny fat. You eat less to look good clothes, you work out to look good naked. You won't look good naked as skin and bones, that much I can guaran-damn-tee!
  • amber2521
    amber2521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Those who are only eating 1200 calories per day are just setting themselves up for misery and health issues down the road, not to mention, a shot metabolism!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

READ UP!
    MFP has told me and several of us others to eat 1200 calories a day.

It will tell everyone that if you tell it you want to lose 2 pounds a week. This is not realistic though for someone who only has 10-20 pounds to lose. It might be short term if you have 150-200 pounds to lose. That's ok, just keep commenting and I'll keep banging my head against a wall. Multiple people have tried to explain it in several different ways, I don't understand why it's so difficult.
    i have more than 20 pounds to lose. this is my forum and my topic so threfore i am commenting on it. if thats a problem for you then quit reading it. MFP is supposed to be a POSITIVE site, not one for people to get an attitude with eachother. I dont know you, and you dont know me. So stop.
  • amber2521
    amber2521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! I loe these threads...You'll be fat forever and never lose weight. You'll be skinny fat. You eat less to look good clothes, you work out to look good naked. You won't look good naked as skin and bones, that much I can guaran-damn-tee!
    that was so incredibly rude. I didnt post this topic to get insulted, I posted it because I wanted clarification, which i have now. im not fat. and i dont want to be "skin and bones".
  • yummy76
    yummy76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi

Im on 1200 per day too! Total lose so far 17lbs and just 2lbs off my goal weight, but looking to lose a further 2/3lbs!

Im simply strict as possible with calorie counting, I don't ever include my exercise to get calories back, for me I think that is why it works so well as I don't eat the etc food!
    I drink loads of water which helps too..... if I feel hungry I grab anything low in calories, rice cakes, fruit etc....

:smile:
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    I just dont see the point in exercising to burn off calories if you are just going to put those calories back on. that doesnt make sense to me. :/

LOL no that doesn't make sense. you exercise for your INSIDE. For you heart, lungs- getting your heart rate up helps clear plaque from your arteries. Also exercise for toning muscles- getting stronger. Muscle burns more calories than fat.
    The more you exercise the more you can eat. does that make sense? cause it works for me!

YES THIS ...
    Lifting weights NOW while losing weight... wil help you MAINTAIN LATER after you hit goal!!! Doing cardio NOW will help your heart and lungs stay healthy... THAT IS THE REASON to workout now, even if you eat those calories....

I personally would be cranky and crabby on only 1200 cals a day.... I burn an average of 800+ a day in working out.... being at 400 net would kill me....
  • hamsaurus
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 calorie diet and I have a hard time eating that much. I seem to be 200-300+ calories under every day. It doesn't take much for me to get hungry, and I know that this is bad for my metabolism but I don't feel like I should be forcing myself to overstuff myself if I already feel full. I try to take in the calories that I lose by exercising but it's just so hard when I don't feel hungry.
  • sue567
    sue567 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have learned from 1 of my MFP friends.. that to lose weight u need to create minimum deficit of 500 calories... and if u eat less than 1200 your body would go into starvation mode... so eat hard.. and workout harder :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • daredhorse
    Options
    Hi there,

I am on a 1200 cal diet too. I workout 3/ 4 times per week on the elliptical or treadmill and do some strength training as well. Strarted on Jan 16 and have lost 15 pounds as of today. Stay focused. MFP works.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 calorie diet and I have a hard time eating that much. I seem to be 200-300+ calories under every day. It doesn't take much for me to get hungry, and I know that this is bad for my metabolism but I don't feel like I should be forcing myself to overstuff myself if I already feel full. I try to take in the calories that I lose by exercising but it's just so hard when I don't feel hungry.

I'm with you. I recently bought a scale that tells me how much my body burns, just by being alive, and it's only 1354 a day! I was doing everything MFP said to do, eating back my exercise calories, and lost nothing for months. I finally got the scale and started maintaining a 300 cal deficit daily, regardless if it was above 1200 or not, and I finally lost weight! I typically only lose at the most 2 pounds a month, it's taken me a year to lose almost 20 pounds. Ithink we really need to listen to our bodies, or at least the good input, not the carb/sugar cravings!

I can't remember where or when, but it was here on MFP that I read it takes certain body types a lot longer and a lot harder to lose weight, just have to be patient.