Sarcastic, middle aged and a grammar grouch.

Options
How could you not want a friend who describes herself like that?

I've been on this site about a week now and in my cruising around (and perusing the page of the one friend I do have) I've noticed that positivity is all the rage. Someone posts something and then a load of other people chime in with a "Great job". Now I don't in any way want to devalue positive support and if that stuff works for you that's great (and there are a lot of people logging some pretty impressive losses) but it doesn't quite float my boat.

I'm looking for imaginary friends (sorry, this is the internet, to me you're all imaginary) who maybe won't be quite so upbeat. It will also help if you can tolerate the odd vaguely snarky comment on your page - especially if you misuse apostrophes (I know, I should get over that peeve but it's not that hard dammit your/you're... there different words).

In short I'm 37, looking to lose a decent chunk of weight and hoping this site will help me do it. I know my search for friends must come off as a little odd but I figured I can't possibly be the only fat grouch in the world.

So if you
a) spotted my intentional misspelling above and immediately wanted to point it out to me
b) managed to read all this without assuming if you met me you'd want to punch me in the face
c) want more friends
then add me. Go on, be brave.

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oops. I'm 38.

The sad thing is that wasn't a typo, I genuinely forgot I'm not 37 any more (and it isn't like my birthday was just last week). Maybe I should add slightly senile to my list of appealing traits.
  • melpix123
    melpix123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    they're different words.
    edit. ah right... just kept reading and realised it was intentional.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    They are different words, and I will do my best not to praise you with my usual, "Great job", if you would like to add me. :grumble:
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I share some of your characteristics and I hadn't seen them articulated so well here, prior to your post, so I feel compelled to friend you. (Not that I'd particularly welcome snarky comments, but someone who intends to lose (as opposed to loose) weight is someone I can appreciate, at least in part!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Love the post. I'm a terriable speller so you should probably skip me! P.S. I did my best with punctuation so you wouldn't gouge your eye out while reading.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    lol, sure, friend add is on the way.
    By the way, your diary yesterday sucked big time, better luck for today. Good, honest logging though.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I still think there would be punching and yes, I am a perky person with a wicked streak wider than my own rear. This is the only thread where I thought to myself, "Now, there is a human being." Well done, imaginary person.
  • infractusspeculum
    Options
    Someone who doesn't feel the need to vomit rainbows all over my successes and failures? It's a miracle!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Lol, they're/there... your/you're... loose/lose... I know what you mean. I'm just a bit OCD, especially when it comes to grammar. And sarcasm is just one of the services that I offer. My favorite new shirt reads: "Ask your doctor if getting off your A** would be good for you," compliments of burpeessuck.com via Cafepress. I'm positive, but not your overly perky cheerleader type! I have a dark side of which I am very proud. If you're middle aged, then I guess I'm older than dirt! :wink:
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    haha i was immediately annoyed that you miss-spelled "there"
  • clewis628
    clewis628 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Friend request is on the way.

Also, this might be nit-picking but, I believe that punctuation belongs inside the quotation marks.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're fat, or a grouch.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am quite fluent in sarcasm alright! I even have a 5-year-old in training who could outwit most adults with his sarcasm. HOWEVER, I warn you...I am a dichotomy because I indeed have a doctorate degree, but I cannot spell my name out of a box, as I am somewhat phonetically challenged! I just had to look up how to spell dichotomy on google just now!! Friend me if you dare, but if you crack on my spelling, you will surely get some snarky remarks right back!

P.S. I totally hate that this sight does not put words in red that are spelled wrong like the way that Word and Facebook does! Grammer...pretty good at that because I write all the time (only with spell check fully enabled!)
  • Hannova
    Hannova Posts: 50
    Options
    If you decide to add me, I promise that the worst you'll get out of me is "Hey! You didn't suck today!"

That's about all I can promise.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Aym awl four pawsitive reinforcement sew eye gess ewe can leeve me out. A lawt of peeple git nun at home sew thay git mowtivashun on hear. Gud luck two ewe.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    LOL:laugh: I love your post! Some of the grammar on MFP irritates and highly entertains me and my daughter to no end. Especially when folks write how they want to LOOSE weight. Feel free to add me. :drinker:

Added note: Quick disclaimer. There are times when I miss a phone correction that causes some bizarre statements. I once posted "Naked me..." instead of "Makes me..." It was hilarious and I deleted and corrected it later.
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Someone who doesn't feel the need to vomit rainbows all over my successes and failures? It's a miracle!

Just wanted to say I have been on here for 4ish months. Hands down this is my favorite post......ever!!!
  • deanaimee
    deanaimee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Loved this post! Good job!!!! ;)
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    Oh, I am quite fluent in sarcasm alright! I even have a 5-year-old in training who could outwit most adults with his sarcasm. HOWEVER, I warn you...I am a dichotomy because I indeed have a doctorate degree, but I cannot spell my name out of a box, as I am somewhat phonetically challenged! I just had to look up how to spell dichotomy on google just now!! Friend me if you dare, but if you crack on my spelling, you will surely get some snarky remarks right back!

P.S. I totally hate that this sight does not put words in red that are spelled wrong like the way that Word and Facebook does! Grammer...pretty good at that because I write all the time (only with spell check fully enabled!)

site
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    OP - I see you have (almost) the same attitude as I do when it comes to friends and the purpose of having friends here on MFP. My profile tells it all. I don't really want the responsibility of having to pamper and shower people I don't even know with undue praise about stuff any live person would be expected to do anyway. My real time friends are fulfilling/responsibility enough for me. Ya, I guess I'm a grouch.. not a grammar grouch, just a grouch.:grumble: :wink: