Where does the fat go that you lost?

Options
1235»

Replies

• thejubster1
    thejubster1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Someone on MFP has this quote on their ticker (and apologies for stealing it - but I love it)..

............... "Sweat is fat crying "...............................

And I should have read the post 2 up before submitting this :ohwell:
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    Came for the Adipose reference, was not disappointed.

I always picture those cute little blobs walking out the cat door (if I had a cat door).
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like to think it goes off into outer space as little marshmallow bits of baby fat to its home planet where its mom and dad is waiting, and then The Doctor--

Oh wait.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It's released as heat energy into the environment. We're making global warming worse. :bigsmile:
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    That information is classified by the federal government. You do not have proper clearance for that information.

Actually, it's MAGIC! TaDaaa!!!

Love it!! That's awesome! Way to go on your weight loss too!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Fat cells actually shrink and expand as you gain weight, so as you loose weight the cells shrink. Some researchers think this is why people who were obese as children are more likely to be obese as adults, since as a child you're still growing and developing cells. Basically, people who were fat kids might simply have more at cells.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    There was once a thread where someone suggested that you pee out your fat. That was my favorite explanation ever.
    That's what I was quoting! Lol ;)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    At night it becomes one of these, and walks away.
    tumblr_los1v5wFqh1qijtvg.gif

This little thing is amusing me so much. Too cute! What's it from?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    So, yes, the cells don't disappear, but also someone who is overweight isn't likely to have significantly more fat cells than a person who is normal weight. Any person has the potential to gain weight, because regardless of the size of the cells, they are always present.
    Noooo, once you are overweight you gain many more fat cells. Storage.

That is not true. If you don't believe me, feel free to look it up.

I have, many times.

Adults can grow new fat cells after all, study shows

By TOM NORDLIE • Published: January 13th, 2011
    Category: Health in a Heartbeat

Podcast: Play in new window | Download

In 2008, a study published in the journal Nature said adults don’t grow new fat cells.
    That was nice to hear.

The battle of the bulge might seem a little more winnable if we know there won’t be any new enemy troops.
    Now, a study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences says
    adults can develop new fat cells.

And that revelation could provide insight about the risk of Type 2 diabetes.
    The study investigated the location and composition of newly acquired body fat.
    It involved about thirty healthy young adults.
    For two months, they overate at every meal. They were also given supplemental treats to boost weight gain.
    The participants put on an average of ten pounds.
    Eight-and-a-half pounds of it was fat.

They also developed two-point-six billion new fat cells in the lower body.
    New fat cells usually didn’t appear in the abdominal area. There, existing cells just got larger.
    That’s not good.

Oversized abdominal fat cells are a predictor for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
    So the people who added most of their new body fat around the middle were at greater risk for those conditions.
    The researchers suggested that the tendency to develop new fat cells in the legs and hips may be a protective mechanism against metabolic disorders.

The only problem is, not everyone gets the same amount of protection.
    So for people with pot bellies, this study contains new field intelligence.
    It says winning the battle of the bulge is more important than we previously thought.

Fortunately, you have allies. They’re diet, exercise and regular doctor’s visits.
    Those three fat-fighters belong on any slim-down squadron.
    And if you need them, they’re always ready for recruitment.
    In 2008, a study published in the journal Nature said adults don’t grow new fat cells.
    That was nice to hear.

The battle of the bulge might seem a little more winnable if we know there won’t be any new enemy troops.
    Now, a study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences says
    adults can develop new fat cells.

And that revelation could provide insight about the risk of Type 2 diabetes.
    The study investigated the location and composition of newly acquired body fat.
    It involved about thirty healthy young adults.
    For two months, they overate at every meal. They were also given supplemental treats to boost weight gain.
    The participants put on an average of ten pounds.
    Eight-and-a-half pounds of it was fat.

They also developed two-point-six billion new fat cells in the lower body.
    New fat cells usually didn’t appear in the abdominal area. There, existing cells just got larger.
    That’s not good.
    Oversized abdominal fat cells are a predictor for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
    So the people who added most of their new body fat around the middle were at greater risk for those conditions.
    The researchers suggested that the tendency to develop new fat cells in the legs and hips may be a protective mechanism against metabolic disorders.

The only problem is, not everyone gets the same amount of protection.
    So for people with pot bellies, this study contains new field intelligence.
    It says winning the battle of the bulge is more important than we previously thought.
    Fortunately, you have allies. They’re diet, exercise and regular doctor’s visits.
    Those three fat-fighters belong on any slim-down squadron.
    And if you need them, they’re always ready for recruitment.
  • livelaughlovecrazy
    livelaughlovecrazy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Fat cells actually shrink and expand as you gain weight, so as you loose weight the cells shrink. Some researchers think this is why people who were obese as children are more likely to be obese as adults, since as a child you're still growing and developing cells. Basically, people who were fat kids might simply have more at cells.

Interesting, thanks for the info! =)
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options

This little thing is amusing me so much. Too cute! What's it from?

New Doctor Who, Season 4, Ep. 1 "Partners In Crime"

Marketed as a diet pill, humans were being used as in incubator by an evil "nanny" for an alien race called Adipose that used fat deposits (adipose) to grow a bit before the babies wandered off from their host in the middle of the night. They can be found on the internets as stress balls, plushies, & on clothing :happy:
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Learned so much in this one thread! :)
  • tannermortimer
    Options
    Fuel + O2 = CO2 + H20

this may seem like a complicated formula but it's easy. any fuel being used goes through the same process of anything being combusted. combustion always uses this formula. Fat being used as fuel turns into CO2 (that we exhale) and H2O (pee or sweat).

just fyi cars use the same formula. bodies are more efficient but it is still super cool. :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    turns into water. waste, aspiration, sweat, etc. Watch this: http://youtu.be/NGKLpYtZ19Q
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options

you beat me to it.
    Damn it all you awesome Dr. Who Fans. You beat me to it as well.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    ok this may be disgusting so forgive me in advance. When you lose weight where does it go? Do you poop it out? Do you sweat it out? This may sound dumb but i would imagine that someone losing weight does not poo out 50 lbs 100 lbs of stuff. The theory is that you can neither create nor destroy matter so every week that i have been losing 2 lbs where is it going? I don't "go" any more than usual and yet i have lost 9 lbs. 9lbs isn't a lot compared to some of you but in mass, as a physical, tangible thing, 10 lbs is alot of stuff.

OH MY GOD
  • hazzad1112
    hazzad1112 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Excuse me if this sounds rude, I have been on a fat loss and body build system (muscle helps burn) I have watched my calories and macros, been using fat burners and drinking copius amounts of water. In 10 weeks I have seen a jump in weight started at 99kg went 102 now 97. Yet my fat index has gone from 35 to 24%. I have lost 17cm around my abdomen. So something is happening. I believe urine is the clue, I have noticed it being frothy, is that the fat waste content ? I believe yes, the poo I believe is normal waste, not just from food but the whole body process.
  • bigparao
    bigparao Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with the internet. People creating half believable answers and passing them off as the reality. Which then gets passed on in the real world countless times and now everyone is misinformed instead of uninformed.

Fat is metabolised into energy, water and co2. About 80% of the weight u lose is actually breathed out, with the remaining being water (urine) and of course the actual energy itself. So the most significant answer is that you breathe it out. Not pee, not poop, not 'burned up',
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Holy thread resurrection @bigparao

Combusted and the byproduct (C02) breathed out.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30494009
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    fteale wrote: »
    Mostly it turns into CO2, which you breathe out.

This

Triglycerides are oxidized and come out as CO2, excrement is toxins, water, and undigested materials from the digestive track.

I thought this was cool when I first learned about it.

I uh, didn't read the thread so I don't know where the conversation has gone past this point, but I quoted the answer.