Do people's avatars make a difference to how you see them?

Options

Replies

• ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Not much of a picture taker. The house was the only thing I had to add.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    I like the bunny very much! I agree about the anonymity being a benefit, I like keeping my "real pictures" tucked away in my profile. That way, I'm "here" but it reduces the chance that a casual acquaintance, friend of a friend, co-worker etc. might stumble across some embarrassing post I've made about cellulite or something. :)

The bunny likes you!

I know, that would be so embarrassing to find someone you knew on here. Haha.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I think avatars give us an idea of what a person is like. Should we judge a person by their picture? No...but sometimes it gives us insight into things that they like.

Your avatar says to me that you like animals and are a friendly person.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It occurs to me though, that I would probably get a lot fewer requests if I didn't have a ticker. Whether that's down to the pic, or just because I'm an *kitten* is another matter!
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No matter what someone's avatar is I'm still going to remain friendless so I pay it no mind.

forever alone xD
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Most of my friends do have pics of themselves. I have one of me, but I prefer my Alizay as my main pic, because it makes me smile. I don't think it really matters, but I don't like it when they have no pic, because thats just lame. Put up something even if it is a lightsaber or bird feeder. I don't give a crap what, just something.
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    Actually the body shots all kind of merge into one, for me. Whether they're fat or thin. I like avatars to give me a clue about a person, and the full body shot ends up so tiny you can't really see what's going on.
  • Showcats
    Showcats Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't judge by the picture. I think many of the avatars are very creative. Maybe when I get down to my goal weight I will use a picture of me but until then it will be my cat.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't judge people's pictures based on their weight - we're all here to fix our lifestyles anyway. I find that I can't help but judge the guys who have pictures of themselves flexing topless in front of a mirror. I know that everyone with success stories on MFP uses some sort of picture to show of their body (and I'm sure I will too), and that's all that these guys are doing. However, I can't help but associate those sort of pictures with the sort of guys who post pictures like that on their facebook profile picture, most of which (not all) tend to be the conceited-jerk type
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me, but it helps me recognize people on the boards. I don't really like the default blue pic because it's hard to figure out who that is.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm the odd man out, because I make an instant judgement about the person based on their choice of display picture. It's not necessarily a bad judgement, but I form an opinion, definitely. Some pictures say more than others, though.

I do the same {instant judgement} unconsciously, I'm sure; like I do most things. It wouldn't keep me from friending someone, but for some reason I like a real picture, with a face, because, and I know that it's corny, it makes me feel like I'm "talking" to the person...for the same reason you might skype someone. It just seems more personal.

However, that is a damn cute bunny : )
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I prefer to see photos of the person, current is a bonus since if I am going to be your friend or comment on your progress and support you I'd like to know who I am dealing with.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't judge others by their avatars but, sometimes I do make a new friend if they have an avatar of something that I'm am into, like Dr. Who! :)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I have a body-shot avatar because I finally reached a 'normal' BMI and I'm trying to see myself as others might and not as the chubby woman I've always been. Getting rid of that fat mentality is hard!

I take others' avatars as an indication of their personality. I love seeing all the fun, whimsical choices people make and I have friended people just because their avatar appealed to me.
    13507710_5865_thumb.jpg
    This is me and I expect everyone else to put a photo of themselves as well.
    Squirrel - I do wonder what gravity your home planet has that you have so much to lose!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I like keeping my "real pictures" tucked away in my profile. That way, I'm "here" but it reduces the chance that a casual acquaintance, friend of a friend, co-worker etc. might stumble across some embarrassing post I've made about cellulite or something. :)

I do the same. :smile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    People may think it doesn't, but I have noticed a huge variation in the tone of the responses I get, depending on what my avatar is.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much.

My avatar was loaded by my 17 year old daughter after a recent holiday to Hawaii. She told me to be proud of the way I look "at my age". I always love that add on!
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    Doesn't make a difference to me as long as it isn't racist or just downright inappropriate.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Nah I couldn't careless as long as it is appropriate
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    I don't judge others by their avatars but, sometimes I do make a new friend if they have an avatar of something that I'm am into, like Dr. Who! :)

I LOVE DOCTOR WHO! ♥