Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss

Options
124»

Replies

• swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm a 63 year old female, married with four grown children and four grandchildren. My husband is disabled and getting progressively more dependent so I was forced to stop working to care for him full time. I have hypothyroidism which makes it difficult to lose weight even though I am on medication for it. I started trying to lose the second week of January. As of last Monday I was up to 17 pounds lost. My middle daughter and two grandsons live with us and currently have my youngest daughter and grandson visiting until April.
  • MrsEb79
    MrsEb79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising and dieting since the second week of January. Last Monday I was up to 17 pounds lost. Got up this morning and I gained two pounds? What the hell???!!! Missed the exercise bike only once this week and have avoided most goodies and have kept my calories around 1200. I am really discouraged this morning.

Swat, don't give up. You can lose those two pounds. Keep your chin up and keep plugging along.
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We have a group called Hypothyroid you're welcome to join us.
  • Go4ithkb
    Go4ithkb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started here on MFP but have had a Hypothyroidism my whole life. The symptoms you are talking about are that of hypothyroidism. I've worked with both natural thyroid and synthetic. I take Armour thyroid and refuse to take synthetic. If you have a thyroid that works. The synthetic will stop it totally. Every one is different. But as you go through your battle. I'd be happy to be here for support.
    Blessings
  • Go4ithkb
    Options
    Hi how do I join this. I'm new to this.
  • Go4ithkb
    Options
    This website if fabulous. Thank you ...thank you ...thank you.
    I have worked with both natural and synthetic. Have not been on synthetic for a long time. I've had thyroid issues my whole life. So having this information is great. If your thyroid is working. The synthetic will stop and even ruin it.

Again thanx for info.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Greetings all. New to MFP. Have been tracking for about a week now. Looking for support and motivation from fellow women and men diagnosed with HYPOTHYROIDISM.

Difficult diagnosis for sooooo many women and men because the disease is all about the chemical and physical "messing" of your metabolism. So girls like me, have to work 3 times as hard to get off that 5 pounds and keep it off.

Add symptoms of the crave of salty, sweet not-good-for-you goodies, bone numbing fatigue and lethargy, is the aboslute perfect recipe for weight gain and lack of motivation.

So looking for those fellow hypothyroidians struggling against the current to offer and receive support.

An all natural lifestyle is getting the weight off me and I am healing my body at the same time.

I have went from a dosage of Armour Thyroid of 2 grains down to 1/2 grain over the past year and a half.
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. would love to be friends and support each other. :) its possible, just takes more hard work!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I was battleing hypothyroidism for a short time, about 2 years or so. I have been recovered for not that long ( few months). I remember never being able to lose any freaken weight. It was frustruating. So I know how u guys feel. Well I recently found out that soy meat could have been the cause of my hypothyroidism. So I stopped being a vegetarian, STOPPED EATING SOY MEAT, and ate actual meats, chicken, fish etc and the hypothyroidism is gone!! Just thought u guys should know, I wish I had known before I got sick.
    Also birth control pills can slow down ur thyroid but that's a different story.

I had similar experience, but changing from vegetarian back to omnivore did not make my hypothyroidism to go away.

That is one of the reasons I have went to a 100% natural eating plan, because there is so much soy in all of the packaged foods. And don't get me started on sugar content.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I may this as well as thyroid problems seem to run in my mothers side of the family. I have the classic symptoms and am awaiting the results of my blood work. Feel free to friend me.

I had thyroid issues when I was a vegetarian from all the soy, but after I went back to eating meat it fixed itself. Since starting MFP, I've been eating way better and now my thyroid seems to be off again.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    hey there...not only do I have hypothyroidism..but also insulin resistance and PCOS and adrenal fatigue..it is possible to lose weight...I make sure I take my meds and go from there. I am at goal weight..but want to lose about 7 more pounds but mainly get into a size 4....
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in the first half of 2010. Once I was regulated and my numbers were in the 'normal' range (on Synthroid), I still wasn't losing weight. I think my doctor wasn't sure what to do with me, so she sent me to an endocrinologist in the same group of doctors. He said that my a1c was "borderline" and put me on Metformin for a pre-diabestic condition. He also told me that, in order to lose weight, I was going to have to up the workouts that I was all ready doing (this was in July and I had started doing Zumba classes in February, before I even got my thyroid diagnosis) two to three time a week to 5-6 times per week. This was extremely disconcerting to me, as I had pretty much made it through 37 years with keeping my weight within a 10 lb range, up or down from the 150 or so that I usually weighed, I normally wasn't over 155. I had gotten up into the 190s, and this was after I was working out a couple times a week, doing Zumba. I had never weighed that much unless pregnant, so this was major for me. When my Zumba instructor went on vacation, I knew I had to continue doing something. So I broke out the 10 Minute Trainer DVDs that had been sitting around collecting dust. by the beginning of 2011, I had lost somewhere in the vicinity of 40 lbs, and had lost 27 inches. I worked out 4-5 times most weeks and most days I did 3 of the 10 Minute Trainer segments. I still did Zumba 2-3 times per week and did the DVDs when I didn't.

Last summer, I got busy with this and that, daughter's graduation, trip to CA, trip to FL, classes at school... You all probably know how life can get in the way of other things. So I stopped working out and lost the motivation to do it. And the weight started creeping back. In July last year, when I went in for my blood work, my thyroid number was off again. My doctor changed my dosage and I was 'regulated' again. But I was so busy, I didn't bother to regularly work out again, though I knew that it would help. I gained back about 15 lbs of what I had lost. I started seriously tracking calories again in January this year (I had done it for a while when I started seeing the endocrinologist) and have just started working out with some regularity again. The calorie counting, in conjunction with a LOT of working out, seems to be the trick for those of us with this disease. It sucks, especially for those of us that don't like to work out, to have to work out so much... But it is what it is. I've found, for me, that paying attention to what I'm putting in my mouth along with working out several times a week (my goal for working out now is 3 times per week) is the key to losing weight with hypothyroidism. I hope this may help some others. :wink: Best wishes to all of you! Feel free to add me, just put a message in there, so I know why you're adding me. lol

Oh yeah, another thing I just remembered to add: Until my dosage changed last July, I wasn't aware that I shouldn't be taking my Synthroid with certain other medications. I also had never had an issue with iron. I gave blood regularly, so I knew my iron was ok. She told me to stop giving blood and I have to take 325 mg of Ferrous Sulfate per day. I cannot take this at the same time as my Synthroid, nor can I take my 40 mg prescription Prilosec at the same time. None of this was told to me by the doctor or the pharmacist, this is stuff I found out on my own after the fact. If I had read all the information, I possibly would have known about the Prilosec, but not the iron. They both, apparently, can decrease the efficacy of the Synthroid if not taken at least 4 hours later (or so many hours before). (Additionally, I can't take the iron and the Prilosec at the same time either, so I wind up taking meds 3 times per day grrrr! lol)
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    According to research reported on in the medical journal Digestive Diseases and Sciences, a significant number of patients with autoimmune thyroid disease also have celiac disease. Celiac disease is a disorder that causes the intestines to react abnormally to gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut, and other related grains.

The researchers suggest that patients with autoimmune thyroiditis "may benefit from a screening for celiac disease so as to eliminate symptoms and limit the risk of developing other autoimmune disorders."

For me...I believe this to be true...
    I was diagnosed at 17 with hyperthyroidism...
    I was taking 12 pills a day and came very close to having surgery
    but I stopped taking the pills because I didn't like the way they made me feel
    I started eating differently...more whole foods instead of the pasta and bread I had been consuming
    not because I thought I had a gluten problem...I didn't even know what that was back then...
    a couple months later...my blood work came back with my levels in the normal range
    I'm not saying I recommend going off your meds and cutting out gluten...cuz I'm NOT a doctor
    I'm just saying this is what worked for me...
    you might want to consider talking to your doctor about it...
    and maybe cutting gluten from your diet
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My ARNP shares all of her educational update materials with me on this subject. If you haven't read the book Adreanal Fatigue by Dr. James Wilson, I highly recommend it. The key to hypothyroid is to treat adrenal fatigue first or along with hypothyroid. I've successfully lost 47 lbs and went from size 12 to 0 by starting with the treatment of adrenal fatigue along with my hypothyroid, and balancing my hormones through saliva hormone testing.
  • Eshades
    Eshades Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP. Have Hypothyroidisim and am currently on Synthroid 175mcg but we are not close to regualtion yet. Feel free to add me!
  • christinarosebud
    Options
    I just found this website today, and found it to be exactly what I need. I, too have Hypothyroidism, and have found it very hard to lose weight. But I am determined to shed a few ponds by Summer!:bigsmile:
  • jroseonline
    jroseonline Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, I've had hypothyroidism for the last 3 years. It was so hard for me to lose weight and my doctor prescribed me a higher dosage of armour thyroid this past october and since then I've lost 24 lbs when just a year ago when i was on levoxyl, i couldn't shed not even 1 pound despite doing cardio at the gym and I was exhausted all the time.

so it really does take finding the right doctor who knows what they are talking about to help you and eventually once you get the correct dosage of medication, you can and will lose weight.

I do run 3 miles 6 days a week and really watch what I eat. I've just about given up most of my favorite things like Starbucks and white rice.

Yes, losing weight does take a lot of work when you have hypothyroidism, but it's a great feeling knowing how much work you put into it and seeing results, finally.

because of my continued weight loss, my meds won't be regulated until i hit my goal weight of 128lbs. got 16 more to go! I am just happy that I am at my lightest I've been since developing hypothyroidism.

add me: jroseonline

:)
  • saktii2323
    saktii2323 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This sounds exactly like what I went through. I still struggle with my weight, but at least I can eat a cookie once in a while and not gain 2 lbs every time I do so.
    Getting the correct dosage of meds has helped my energy levels tremendously. It's so great not having to nap all the time, to be able to get by on less than 10 hours of sleep a night, and to have better mood regulation as well.