Running Tip: Hot Weather Running

Options
As of the writing of this, Spring is right around the corner, and with it, an increase in outside temps. While most of us will welcome the warmer temps so we can don the shorts and tees, we must begin to plan for the eventual summer weather. So, while I was running today, I thought I would share some tips I've learned from running for many many years in the hot AZ sun. I feel it is the duty of those of us who learn things the hard way to share their knowledge with others, so that they won't have to suffer the same fates.

This advice is intended for newer runners, or runners who will be facing the heat for the first time (maybe you relocated to AZ).

First thing I need to say - this is free internet information. I am NOT your daddy, and you are ALWAYS responsible for yourself and your own actions. If common sense eludes you, you may wish to stay inside that padded room of yours. I don't presume to be a doctor, or aware of any 'special' condition you may have that would put you in harm's way should you follow this advice. Only you know your body, and it's limitations. ALWAYS listen to your body!!! Now let's get started. :-)

1. Hydration, Hydration, Hydration!!!
We all know you should be drinking 8-10 glasses a day, under normal conditions; if you plan on running in the heat, you'll want to shoot for a gallon or more per day. You should be peeing clear BEFORE you start your run. If not, you are already behind the 8-ball. Depending on the length of your run, you may get into serious trouble by starting a long run partially dehydrated. So drink lots: before, during, and after your run. And before someone shouts "water toxicity" or "hyponatremia", please know that these conditions are very rare, and are typically only seen in prolonged sporting events where no other form of nutrition or electrolyte replacement takes place - Not a worry for the typical person going for a 12 mile run. So drink up, and pee lots!

When you are done running, you need to start drinking up again. It is not uncommon to lose several pounds during a long hot run, just from sweat alone. I've personally seen 8-10 pound deficits after a 2 hour run, and that includes the 80 ounces of liquid I drank during/ after the run. It's not fat you lost, people, it's valuable water. So replenish your muscles afterwards. It may take the better half of the day and night just to top off the muscles again. It's even more vital if you have another run planned the following day.

I recommend freezing half a water bottle prior to heading out. Top it off before you walk out the door, and halfway though the run, it'll still be cool. I've also invested in Polar Bottles. These are insulated to keep your drink cooler just a little bit longer. Regardless, you'll become accustomed to drinking warm water.

2. Clothing!
Stick to moisture wicking fabrics. They come in assorted names - Dry Fit, Technical Fibers, Synthetic, etc. These materials help pull the sweat away from your skin, so it can evaporate, which aids in cooling. You really don't want wet skin. Stay away from cotton if you can.

Cover as much skin as possible. I frequently see people choosing tank tops, thinking it will cool them. The opposite is true. The sun cooks your skin, raising your body temp, and interrupts the natural sweating process. So cover those shoulders and arms if you can. You would be much better off if your sleeves absorbed the sweat, and thereby working as an evaporative cooler; not to mention the insulating factor caused by that little layer of trapped air between the clothing and your skin. So cover up!

Wear a mesh hat! It keeps the direct sunlight from cooking the top of your head, creates an insulation barrier between your head and the hat, and captures sweat to aid in cooling. Hats are good. If you can find a hat with a tail (french foreign legion style), even better. I can't tell you how nice it feels when it covers the ears and neck, especially after you wet it. Heaven!

Sunglasses - Wear 'em!

3. Gear!
Quick list:
- Sunblock!!!
- Lip Balm
- Bodyglide (prevents chaffing)
- Wet Wipes
- Neck Gaiter
- Bandana - tons of uses -- wipe off sweat, when soaked can cool your neck or other areas, use to cover neck, headcover, sweatband, clean road rash, etc.
- Camelbak or Hydration System - You'll obviously need a way to carry your liquids. There are lots of choices here, and personal preference seems to dictate style. I prefer a single water bottle for up to 60min, and my Camelbak for longer runs. It just holds a lot more liquid.
- Cell Phone!!!

4. Route Planning!
- It's important to run 'known' routes on hot days. You'll want to choose a route that affords you the most shade, water stops, and ability for rescue should you crash.
- If you are running an out-and-back route, put the breeze in your face on the way back. For other routes, try to save the shady side of the mountain for the back half of the run.
- Try to run near water sources (lakes, streams, canals, ponds, etc). The evaporation effect from water sources helps bring the air temps down a tad, and in an emergency, a quick dip can save your *kitten*! (been there, done that!)
- Another idea is to run loops that will bring you back to a water source at regular intervals (your car, house, water fountain, etc). You can also place water bottles ahead on your route to replenish your supply.
- Choose a route that gets you off the ashpalt/ pavement. The stored heat in the asphalt/ concrete work against you from the bottom-up. I prefer trails in the summer months. It's make a lot of difference.

5. Nutrition & Supplements!
You won't want to rely solely on water during your hot weather runs. You will sweat out too many vital minerals, and it's crucial to replace them. This is where it's important to know your body. You can make your run more successful by planning ahead with a good multi-vitamin and sound nutrition. This fuels the machine to start the run, but during the run you'll need to replenish.
Some examples of running nutrition:
- Drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, Clif Shot, etc. There are dozens of electrolyte replacement drinks to choose from. Test them on short runs, not during a long run)
- Gels, Beans, Gummies, Chews, etc.
- Pills (electrolyte, sodium, potassium, and other mineral replacement capsules)
Regardless if I choose a sports drink to supplement the water during a run, I will always have a bottle with just pure water on longer runs. You need only pour Gatorade over your head to cool off one time to realize the value of pure water.

6. When to run!
The best time of day to run is obviously the coolest. But not many people want to get up at 4am for their run. If you're a morning person, then sunrise is ideal, but if your lifestyle doesn't allow this, then the next best time is sundown and later. Unless you are a seasoned veteran, accustomed to running in the heat, stay the heck out of the midday sun. It simply doesn't care how fast it kills you.

7. Oh *kitten*!
Inevitably your plan may fall apart on you. So it's important to be aware of the early warning systems that your system is shutting down on you. You will already be starting with a higher heart rate. The heat causes this automatically. Know your HR, and you'll be more conscious when things are going south.

Here's a link to a description of the various signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Please learn these signs and symptoms so you don't get yourself into trouble.

http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_exhaustion/article.htm
http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm

Summary
While it may seem daunting, it's totally doable to run in the heat. Last year, the temp for my average daily run was 105 degrees, with the hottest being 111 degrees (right at sundown). Just be smart, plan ahead, and listen to your body. No matter how much you've planned for it, always have a phone and someone on call that can pick you up. There is nothing more desperate than running out of water, overheating, no shade, and still having to walk 4-5 miles to your car. :wink:

To my seasoned Veteran runners. Please share your wealth of knowledge. I don't assume to know it all, ESPECIALLY when running in really humid areas. Please share your advice so our new running buddies have a safe running summer. Thanks!

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, up here in the Pacific Northwest, we only have to worry about this for about 12 seconds a year.

Nice post, man :D
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It's not quite as hot here in Georgia, but we do have more humidity to deal with. I think your list is pretty complete. I would just reemphasize - hydrate. Drink all day. It's too late to start drinking once you are out the door starting the run.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump! Gonna be running my first summer in the okanagan this year... I. Need this info! Thanks!
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks for this post.(and bump into my topics :wink: )
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Las Vegas. Nuff said. Nice tips if I have to run.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great info! I am a new runner ( going through c25k & finished week 5 today) & want to stick with it even through the hot summers of Fresno. I am a morning person and my plan is to get out there early in the summer months and avoid the brutal heat. Thanks for the tips.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Great tips! The one thing I would add as a Texas runner who survived running in 105 degree heat last summer is to slow down - don't expect to keep the same pace as you do on cooler days in the spring or fall. If you look at race times for summer races vs. winter races, the average times are slower - the heat affects everyone, even serious seasoned athletes. But, if you keep up your routine through the summer months, you'll be that much further ahead and reap the benefits in the fall :-)
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Bump-a-licious!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This is really useful, thank you. I went running today and it's the first time it's felt like spring here in the uk. I've been when it's been mild, but there's always been a cold breeze, I really noticed not having it today, and drank loads of water on my run and have been drinking it since, I suppose you don't always notice when you are in need of hydration until its at the stage when its too late!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I run outside all year long (New England), so the transition from one season to another is more gradual. Still, it's always good to have a checklist and make sure I've got everything covered, thanks for the post! :)
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Great info!! I live in central Texas, and last summer we had probably the hottest summer on record (it was over 110 degrees for like a few weeks straight). Incidentally, half of central Texas burned up in wildfires.

I've been dreading my distance runs since they're HORRIBLE to do on a treadmill, but beginning in late May it's 95 degrees by 8am. Super pleasant. We are in the triple digits for most of the summer, so all this info is very helpful! Fortunately I do most of my long runs on a trail that goes around a lake with water fountains and cold water stops along the way :)
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    I'm really glad you emphasize running WITH water - I keep seeing posts on here with people all high and mighty about running 10 miles sans water, and how you shouldn't NEED water if you're running under X amount of miles. I always run with water! Even if I'm going for a two mile walk, my water bottle comes along.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
    We don't quite get the temps that high but do have the major humidity... Nice tips for my summer running.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this list! I am just starting to run now, and by July/August it can get pretty hot & humid here in the Philly area. I'm definitely saving this one for the summer months!
  • for2day
    for2day Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks allot! I was wondering if you had any advice on which stretches to do before heading out. I am REALLY a newbie to jogging.....well, right now, I'm more of a wogger. I've been given so much and I have done them, but it doesn't seem to work and maybe I'm just missing something. I can go short and I mean short distances, but then it becomes uncomfortable for me and I was told to keep doing what I am doing and I will eventually get there and yet another person has told me, if I'm doing the 'right' stretches, then it should never be uncomfortable??? So, I'm a bit lost here. I would really appreciate any advise. And again thank you for the tips, now I know what my pack should have! :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I actually start thinking about hydration the day before my long run... or I'm already behind the 8-ball. And for those long runs in the heat/humidity, I use Gatorade instead of water. Water alone just doesn't seem to cut it for me.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I actually start thinking about hydration the day before my long run... or I'm already behind the 8-ball. And for those long runs in the heat/humidity, I use Gatorade instead of water. Water alone just doesn't seem to cut it for me.

I agree, I start hydrating the day before and usually stick a Nuun tablet in my camelbak for a long run. I also keep a cooler in the car with some ice cold water for after my run :)

I also agree with a previous poster that you should slow down and not to expect to be as fast as you normally are!

Great post!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    <sigh> Blizzarding today. Heavy snowfall warning. Wearing my thermals and sweater and have snow pants on for the walk to the bus. Running tomorrow and don't need any of these tips!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! My long summer runs are in Port Aransas, TX since we spend every weekend down at the beach. Hot & very HUMID! :explode: :explode: :explode:

I'm going to appreciate the hot & humid exposure this year when I am running in Costa Rica in Sept.