:smile:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Great tips - it's coming to the end of summer in Australia (though you wouldn't know it - over 39c or 100f for the last four days).

I'd agree with all of those - except that I would think twice about running with the wind in your face for the home leg. Although I appreciate the cooling effect, if it's a strong breeze it's going to make running harder when you're tired, which will slow you down and make the finish tougher. This is probably good training, but unless i have a particular race that runs with this configuation, I like to get the wind behind me to make the home push easier.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's not quite as hot here in Georgia, but we do have more humidity to deal with. I think your list is pretty complete. I would just reemphasize - hydrate. Drink all day. It's too late to start drinking once you are out the door starting the run.

As we Georgians like to say, "It's not the heat...it's the humidity!" :) Doesn't take much to get the sweat rolling in July and August!

BTW....great tip on the sunblock. :)
  • genene111
    genene111 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks:)
  • luddy3
    luddy3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks! I just recently moved out here to the Phx area. I was looking for someone with more experience in this part of the country, Im definitely an early morning runner, but your info is solid.
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Trail_Addict
    Options
    thanks
  • yeralosersmile
    Options
    I have a hard time running in the heat, mostly because I just get hot too easily. But if you do choose to run in this season, just make sure you stay hydrated!!!!! =]]
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Good stuff & timely too.

It's unseasonably warm this year (first time I can recall running in shorts in March) perhaps foreshadowing a hotter than average summer? Running in the Ottawa area is always a treat, frostbite in winter & heatstroke in summer!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    thanks, i kind of guessed at half of your list, but it's good to have someone confirm it :smile:
    guess i should have bought that long sleeved running top... ah well, next time...
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    We're already in the 80s here in Florida, so thanks for the tips!
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! It was only in the 80s here this week and I could tell that I was going to need to change how I prepare for my runs but, being pretty new to this I wasn't sure how.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The information is fine, but not everyone can tolerate the heat. Without trying to be overly alarmist, I would just point out that you cannot "will" yourself to push on in the heat. Unless you really know yourself and your ability to tolerate heat, I would urge extreme caution when thinking of running in hot or humid conditions.

The advice given for dealing with the hot weather is all good advice. But I would disagree with suggesting that anyone can learn to run in 100+ degree weather.
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thank you for the tips!
  • Trail_Addict
    Options
    I would just point out that you cannot "will" yourself to push on in the heat.
    Where in the post is this suggested?

Unless you really know yourself and your ability to tolerate heat, I would urge extreme caution when thinking of running in hot or humid conditions.
    This was stated in the original post.

But I would disagree with suggesting that anyone can learn to run in 100+ degree weather.
    Again, please point out where this is suggested. I already stated that you need to know yourself, and need to have common sense.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great reminders!
  • julieanddavid
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I'm really not looking forward to the heat. I signed up for my first 5k and it's July 1, so it'll be plenty miserable. It's been in the 70's and 80's this last week here in Kansas City and it's already too hot for me :(