How do you feel about cheat days/meals?

Options

Replies

• cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a really interesting thread about how little it takes to undo a week of hard work. I have my MFP set to 1/2 pound a week... so 1750 calories. I could EASILY overeat by more than that on a cheat day and end up gaining. So, no. I do eat treats but I work them into my calorie allotment.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    agree to disagree on this point. Some people have a cheat day, some people don't. There is no right or wrong. I do have a "spike" day where nothing is restricted and calories are not counted. I've been slowly and steadily losing. It works for me. It helps me combat weekly cravings at work where there is so much food that I should avoid. When these "spike" days started for me I would go hog wild...these days not so much. I enjoy my spike day and eat whatever I want, just it doesn't seem to be nearly as much as I used to and even THAT is progress.

I don't post this to be flamed, just stating what works for me personally.

Have a great day all!
  • getfitnow33
    Options
    Hey doll, I understand ur fears i use to have them but ive been doing real well and losing weight steadily. I wanna say i have a cheat day at least once a week and its not the whole day for me. My cheat days i still try to stay in my calorie goal intake for the day. If i have fried chicken i know to have a salad with it and i try and stay within my goal. I do this once a week and try not to get to crazy. like friday i have chicken taquillos i think thats how u spell it and they are fried and salsa and chips and i stayed within my zone and it was ever so good!

16730282.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • JENNIBABE08
    Options
    I think they are ok as long as its just a meal not a whole day. Think of it more as a reward meal, you are rewarding yourself for all your hard work, and remind yourself that to keep you on track.

We all have those crazy craving and taking advantage of them for your reward meal will keep you from binging. Still keep track of your portion sizes. It also helps to take it on a cardio day so your body is charged, and you dont go over your daily calories. We all have different opinions I find this works best for me.:wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have heard a lot of people talking about cheat days or meals and just wondered peoples opinions. My biggest concern for trying them myself would be not having the self control to stop after my meal or day and falling off the wagon.

If you have tried them do they affect your weight loss? How?

If not why?

Thanks in advance!
    I "cheat" DAILY. There is no "I can't eat that" on my list unless the calories will cause me to go over my allotment. Get in your daily essentials and if you have calories left over to fill, then eat whatever you want to fill them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bjwbmw
    bjwbmw Posts: 55
    Options
    I may have a special day where I eat more than usual because of a dinner or special occasion - that is my cheat day - but I do not support cheat days for myself.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days or cheat meals. I eat what I want, when I want it. I simply do it moderation. For me, having to wait for a specific meal or a specific day to eat something? Well, that is far too "diet-ish" for me. If I want something, I want it NOW. I do not want to have to wait or to set aside a day/meal when it is deemed "okay" to eat it. I don't consider any food "bad" or any food "good" - it is all just food. If I want a Reese's, I eat it. This is a lifestyle change... not a diet. Nothing should be considered "off limits".
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    my 'cheat days' aren't that much of a cheat. I may eat something I normally wouldn't eat -- a couple slices of pizza out, or i may have a beer or two.... but I have almost always gone to the gym that day, and I typically stay within my calorie limits.
  • DavesKitten
    Options
    I think to each his or her own. But, I don't count calories one day a week. I do NOT
    go overboard and eat anything I want. I just watch what I eat, but don't count. That
    is something my hubby and I agreed needed to be done! He is all for me losing
    weight, but he wanted one day where I didn't count.
  • sg1982
    sg1982 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm cheating today. :sad:
    And Im no longer proud of myself.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a cheat meal or even a cheat day.

Most of us got fat because we were making eating unhealthily / to an excess a HABIT, and eating sensibly and healthily a rarity. Doing it the opposite way round, making healthy, measured eating a habit, and a less-restrained day a rarity is how you can keep the weight down. Don't feel guilty over one rare meal / day.

But don't have a cheat day / cheat meal just because everybody else is doing it ;)
  • kirbykez
    kirbykez Posts: 122
    Options
    I'm 54kg's lighter then 12 months ago..
    Smaller portions.. More physical stuff.. Less eating cause I could..
    If I'm hungry I eat.. If I want something I have it..
    But I don't have certain days where I say ok Kira-kay today you can eat what u want and laze about..
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was ok with them at first....I would have a cheat meal....then a cheat day and eventually I just ended going back to eating whatever. So I'm officially back on my no cheat mode.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have heard a lot of people talking about cheat days or meals and just wondered peoples opinions. My biggest concern for trying them myself would be not having the self control to stop after my meal or day and falling off the wagon.

If you have tried them do they affect your weight loss? How?

If not why?

Thanks in advance!

dont like them for just what you have said! i tried i dont like the setbacks
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Cheat Meal = Philly Cheese steak sandwich w/ everything on it. ( est. calories 1000)
    vs.
    Cheat Day = Chili cheese fries, Philly Cheese steak sandwich, Hot Fudge Sundae, Pancakes, bacon, biscuits and gravy, spaghetti, fried chicken etc. (est. calories 6000+)

I don't do cheat days, I do a cheat meal and go slightly over (100-300 cals.) I still try to stay within my daily goal. My point I was trying to make is you can easily go overboard with a cheat day vs a meal so it can be a form of regression.

Everyone's definition of a "Cheat day or Meal" is different. Just keep it within your calorie goals/macros and you may eat whatever.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I don't PLAN cheat days. Occasionally, I have plans to go out to a favorite restaurant (Mexican is my particular vice) and I will try to eat healthy the rest of the day, get in a good burn during my workout, and then go and enjoy my meal. And I mean SAVOR it, haha! If it puts me over for the day, as long as it's only one meal, it's okay! Life is not perfect, and you've gotta make allowances.

But after that meal, I'm back to the grind!
  • dasskinny
    dasskinny Posts: 56
    Options
    I have something i really love everyday, like one Godiva Gem Everday after my healthy lunch, if i don't i find my self binging later that week. I say have a little bit of "pick ur poisin" a day. That way you dont need cheat days. Cheat days usually end up being longer than one day in my experience! Not worth all your hard work! Think of it that way :-) Goood Luckk <3
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I love the "cheat" meal. I usually make sure that I do 2 gym classes on those days. The more I restrict what I can have the more I want what I can't have. So, I just schedule it in!
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cheat days aren't for everyone. I personally do have one a week where I'm not so worried about if I go over my calories. I work my butt off all week and if I want to have a date night with my husband and not worry about everything I'm putting in my mouth I don't. I also don't beat myself up the next day for it. That kind of pressure is what makes it hard to stay with what you're doing.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I go both ways with cheat days/meals because it depends on my mood or how I am feeling that day!! Some people like one or the other and that's fine!! or some people don't do cheat meal/days! It depends on YOU!!!