Can I wear my polar hrm for 24 hrs...

Options
I posted this in the weigh loss sectn, but then realized this might be a better area...

Could I wear my polar ft4 hrm for a full 24 hrs to try to estimate daily burn? I'm not sure if there is a maximum amt of time it will track?

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I posted this in the weigh loss sectn, but then realized this might be a better area...

Could I wear my polar ft4 hrm for a full 24 hrs to try to estimate daily burn? I'm not sure if there is a maximum amt of time it will track?

they're not designed for that, it's very unlikely that you will get any kind of accurate calorie burn.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you theoretically "could", and it might be an interesting experiment... but it wouldn't give you the same kind of info as something like a BodyBugg would.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    I second the comment that it won't be accurate. The calorie calculation formula is only accurate for actual cardio exercise. At lower heart rates, the type you would have during the rest of the day, it would not be accurate at all. If you want 24 hour calories estimates the BodyMedia Fit or BodyBugg are the way to go.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work out for me. Says I burn something like 4,000 calories a day (and this is AFTER I take away my BMR). But then, when I eat 4,000 calories a day I don't maintain like it should be, I gain.

So no, doesn't really work out.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I've always heard it wouldn't give an accurate reading. I have tried it, but who knows? I know a Body Bugg or whatever would do that.
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. I thought it was worth a shot since I already have one. Does anyone have a Bodybugg, body media or Fitbit? Do you like it? I read a little on them and it seems like you have to pay for a subscription to get your burn from the bugg or media? Fitbit is free, but not as accurate bc it counts things like car rides, arm swaying, etc as activity? I have no idea. These are just the things I read in reviews online...
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Unless you are in a lab and gas analysis is being performed then the method is innacurate. Personally I feel that BMR calculators are the way to go when compared to subscription based external devices.
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I really appreciate the input!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I own a Polar HRM and borrowing a Bodyfit Media band from a friend. I was curious to see what my calories burned when exercising would be. Comparing the 2 it was pretty darn close with a 100-200 calories difference. Polar HRM always being a higher number of the 2.