OMG amazing! Congrats! :D
  • Pugluvr1
    Pugluvr1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You should be extremely proud of yourself. That's an amazing accomplishment.

As far as your time goal...I guess you'll have to do it again in the fall ;)

haha yeah I guess so huh?
  • taramaureen
    Options
    How inspiring! What a great accomplishment!

I am training for a half in June, and my first 5k is in April. I am a new runner, and ran a mile for the first time in my LIFE on Christmas Eve. Yesterday I ran for 3 miles, so I am progressing :)

That's so awesome! A year ago I couldn't WALK a mile let alone run it. You can do anything you want if you put the time and effort into doing it.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    You are awesome and I am soooo glad you posted this. I have my first half coming up in a week and I'm starting to get reallllly nervous. There's a 3:30 minute time limit and I keep telling myself that if I take all 3:30, that's ok. Finishing it is what's important.

You can so do it! Honestly I think I would have finished around there if I hadn't have had my watch on me telling me what my pace was because I wanted to walk so bad early on.
  • clarrie94
    clarrie94 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    wow !!! well done

i've got my first half marathon in may, i'm so nervous but you have really inspired me :)

how much training did you do?
  • taramaureen
    Options
    wow !!! well done

i've got my first half marathon in may, i'm so nervous but you have really inspired me :)

how much training did you do?

Thanks!

I've been training since November and used Hal Higdon's half marathon for novice plan. I repeated some weeks but overall stuck to the plan to a "t"
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You can so do it! Honestly I think I would have finished around there if I hadn't have had my watch on me telling me what my pace was because I wanted to walk so bad early on.

I'm nervous because while I can run 10 miles at a time at an average pace of 5.5 mph, that's only been on my treadmill. Running outside is soooo much harder. And I've only been training for it for about a month and a half (only found out about it in January). Got any helpful tips?
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Stupid double post.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Brilliant post

Many people think they cannot run, when all it takes is a little practice
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Whatever your bmi, you're better than me! Well done! I am training for my first run ever, a 10k in May. Super excited about it and I will think of you to help keep me going! Thanks for sharing :happy:
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Good job! You've established your first Personal Best time and are sure to improve on it in the future.

My first half marathon was only about 10 minutes faster and within a couple of years, my best time improved to 2:17 (still not record breaking but I was happy!) A lot of that improvement came just from being lighter than when I ran my first half marathon. I still take walk breaks (aka intervals) when I run. :)
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I am running my second 8K in April and I'm going to sign up for the Disney Princess half marathon next year. I went with my friend this year and she inspired me to try it. I'm so scared because I have never done anything like that before, but it's a great goal. Thank you for posting this! You should be SOOOO proud of yourself - it's an amazing accomplishment.
  • karley511
    karley511 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is great! I'm doing my first half next weekend (10th) and my only goal is to finish. I mean, secretly I would love to finish in under 3 hours but we will see! :) 3 hours and 4 minutes is awesome! I figure if I can do it, so can anyone else! Good job and good luck with your full training.
  • taramaureen
    Options

I'm nervous because while I can run 10 miles at a time at an average pace of 5.5 mph, that's only been on my treadmill. Running outside is soooo much harder. And I've only been training for it for about a month and a half (only found out about it in January). Got any helpful tips?

Run outside if you can. You will run differently during the race than you will your training runs. Find your "groove" a nice comfy pace you can sustain over a long period of time. According to my watch I was doing on average 4.2 MPH, 14:28 minute miles. Slow? Yep, but it's what was comfortable for me. My Garmin watch helped me quite a bit to stay on pace. I wanted to stay under 15 minute miles which was HARD at the end when all I wanted to do was stop. And don't worry about the other runners around you.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!!!!!!
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great Job. :)
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Good job! You've established your first Personal Best time and are sure to improve on it in the future.

My first half marathon was only about 10 minutes faster and within a couple of years, my best time improved to 2:17 (still not record breaking but I was happy!) A lot of that improvement came just from being lighter than when I ran my first half marathon. I still take walk breaks (aka intervals) when I run. :)

That's so awesome! It gives me hope!
  • taramaureen
    Options
    That is great! I'm doing my first half next weekend (10th) and my only goal is to finish. I mean, secretly I would love to finish in under 3 hours but we will see! :) 3 hours and 4 minutes is awesome! I figure if I can do it, so can anyone else! Good job and good luck with your full training.

You can do it! At the end that's all I wanted to do: finish HAHA
  • Mazza12
    Mazza12 Posts: 6
    Options
    Well done ... a great achievement and you should be so proud of yourself! :0)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!