First Half Marathon... and obese

Options

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragment guys! The community here has been awesome!
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good job. I will be doing my first marathon next May in Cleveland.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Run outside if you can. You will run differently during the race than you will your training runs. Find your "groove" a nice comfy pace you can sustain over a long period of time.

Yeah, I thought I should do this too, so last week on a particularly gorgeous day, I decided to go for it. Did 5.5 miles in an hour even though I stopped and walked quite a bit (it's kinda hard to find my pace as I tend to run faster outside). Maybe I should get a Garmin.

The only problem was 2 hours after my run, I remembered exactly why I don't run outside. I was sneezing every few minutes and my eyes were watery and swollen. It takes me a couple days to get over that so with the half coming up in a week, I'm probably not gonna run outside until then.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Good job. I will be doing my first marathon next May in Cleveland.

Good luck!
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Run outside if you can. You will run differently during the race than you will your training runs. Find your "groove" a nice comfy pace you can sustain over a long period of time.

Yeah, I thought I should do this too, so last week on a particularly gorgeous day, I decided to go for it. Did 5.5 miles in an hour even though I stopped and walked quite a bit (it's kinda hard to find my pace as I tend to run faster outside). Maybe I should get a Garmin.

The only problem was 2 hours after my run, I remembered exactly why I don't run outside. I was sneezing every few minutes and my eyes were watery and swollen. It takes me a couple days to get over that so with the half coming up in a week, I'm probably not gonna run outside until then.

That's an awesome pace! The Garmin Forerunner 405 is a really nice model and also one of the cheaper ones. Super easy to use too!

That sounds nasty. Is there anything you can take that will help beforehand? Like an allergy med?
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    SO happy for you! Inspiring. Congrats! Enjoy your accomplishment!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! you inspire me!
  • SmileURLuved
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Way to go... I am running a 5K on Saturday and you have inspired me... I know I can do it... Thank you for sharing your story....:flowerforyou:
  • lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Time is a number to set your next goal toward... My only goal was to finish my first half marathon, which was in November. I was training for another race when I injured myself and have been unable to run for going on 6 weeks. Just remember to take care of your self first...no race is worth our health.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Way to go... I am running a 5K on Saturday and you have inspired me... I know I can do it... Thank you for sharing your story....:flowerforyou:

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll do awesome on Saturday!
  • cortneymau
    Options
    What inspiration! Great work! I am training for a half marathon in January and just started my running program today! You are so inspiring! :)
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    AWESOME! My first half is in April... seeing your picture makes me want to cross that finish line right now!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Great job! You should be proud! :drinker: :smile:
  • shellgoff
    shellgoff Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great job! Im hoping to run a 1/2 by the end of this year!
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! It makes me happy to see all the other people who are going to do their first as well.
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Excellent job, you can't be ashamed of 4 minutes that for sure!
  • hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That is so great, congrats!! I hope to complete a half some day, I just have to get some weight off so that the shin splints (hopefully) stop! You are a great inspiration!
  • taramaureen
    Options

I'
  • taramaureen
    Options

I'm not ashamed per se. I'm more dissapointed because I know if I had just sped up a little the last 4 miles or so I would have made my goal. But I know I did my best and I am proud that I finished.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    That is so great, congrats!! I hope to complete a half some day, I just have to get some weight off so that the shin splints (hopefully) stop! You are a great inspiration!

Shin splints are normally just a result of under use. Keep running and they'll get better.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!