What's your opinion on restaurant food?

Options
cprys8942
cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
I'm a server at Chili's Bar & Grill and although it's delicious food, I'm not unaware of how terrible it is for my body. We do have entrees on the menu that are considered "guiltless." What does everyone think about this? Should I be avoiding the menu at all costs or at least try to stick to the healthier choices?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you've got access to the nutritional content of all the items let that guide you, stick with the items that truly are healthier (watch sodium content, it's not unusual to see calories & fat go down and sodium go up).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Personally I view restaurant food as I view all other food.. and try to eat smaller portions of it when I do have it.

Nothing says that you have to eat the whole entree in one sitting.. You can easily split it up into two or three meals, and save your self a lot of calories and sodium!
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    try to stick to some of the healthier options, and you can always ask them to modify it slightly when they make it for you. My husband and I go to Chili's a lot and I typically get the grilled chicken fajitas, without the tortillas (grill veggies and chicken aren't too bad for you).

Also, like the previous poster mentioned portion control key. If I don't necessarily want to go with the healthiest option my husband and I will often split something or I will ask for a box as soon as the food comes out and put half of it in the box right away so I can eat it tomorrow because I know I will just keep eating it if its on my plate.
  • AdamB311
    AdamB311 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just see any restaurant/pub food as a treat

I do love me some steak but damn why does it have to be so high in calories?

Its fine to have every now and again for me, but it is almost automatically a 'cheat day' just because I've had it
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Personally I view restaurant food as I view all other food.. and try to eat smaller portions of it when I do have it.

Nothing says that you have to eat the whole entree in one sitting.. You can easily split it up into two or three meals, and save your self a lot of calories and sodium!
    How can you split it up?

As for my pov I eat out a lot just make sure I log it like everything else
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    The one problem that I have with restaurant food is the amount of butter/fat that it's prepared in. Even vegetables are sometimes smothered in fat. I do not use any extra butter/fat on vegetables when I cook them, we are used to eating them this way. I love how they taste in a restaurant, but I know they are high in calories. Eating that all the time is adding quite a bit of extra calories to your intake.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    [
    How can you split it up?

Doggy bags! Not just for doggies any more.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm a server at a pizza restaurant, but I bring my own dinner to work. It makes a huge difference. It's a pain, but doable.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I research restaurant items and make the best choices I can from what they offer. Many chains have their info online which makes it quite easy to plan ahead. If they don't give nutritional info, I either make the best choices I can o call it a 'spike' day and not stress over it. LOL
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with restaurant food is sodium content. Just like with all other foods, I'm just mindful of what/how much/how often I eat it.

I absolutely eat and enjoy it!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, just don't eat all of it at once. Restaurant portions are usually at least 2-3 times what they need to be, so order something, ask or put half in a box and enjoy it as two meals instead of one.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    [
    How can you split it up?

Oh those are unheard of over here in the UK! What you don't eat just gets binned
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    That depends... I was a server in college and the restaurants I worked in typically allowed each server to eat one meal per shift for free. So, eating at work saved me a lot of money. I should have made better choices and I wouldn't be so heavy now, but alas, I did what I had to do so that I could eat AND pay rent. If the meal is free and money is an issue, take advantage of it as long as you can make healthy choices. Make it a rule that you'll only have a regular meal once a week and go guiltless for the rest of the week.

If the meal isn't free, I don't think I would actually pay to eat Chili's every day. EDon't get me wrong, I like Chili's and they have some delicious meals. But, I don't see the point in paying a company to make me less healthy on a daily basis. And even if the meal is half off, you could easily prepare yourself something healthier that is just as tasty at home.

As a rule, I pretty much avoid restaurants because they add a lot of fat, sugar and sodium to foods. The extra crap makes the supply chain function at massive levels, but it can easily be eliminated by preparing fresh foods at home.

Once a week I allow myself a meal where I don't worry about calories. I usually go out with my husband and I'll treat myself to a cocktail with dinner, or a higher calorie entree than I would normally choose. Works for me!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I recently requested 2 veggies instead of potato and they were happy to make the exchange. On the flipside I had ordered broccoli and it was covered in a butter sauce of some sort. So be careful when ordering and ask questions/specify what you want. Most times places are flexible.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    [
    How can you split it up?

Oh those are unheard of over here in the UK! What you don't eat just gets binned

That's unfortunate, its not uncommon here in the US to take your uneaten portions home, in fact when my family goes out to certain places its almost a no-brainer that there will be at least one additional meal worth of food left at the end of a meal to take home for someone to eat for lunch or a late dinner.

As for eating out -- it can be done, you just have to be mindful of what you're ordering.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm a server at Chili's Bar & Grill and although it's delicious food, I'm not unaware of how terrible it is for my body. We do have entrees on the menu that are considered "guiltless." What does everyone think about this? Should I be avoiding the menu at all costs or at least try to stick to the healthier choices?

i eat restaurant food almost daily; usually subway. it's not about restaurant vs non-restaurant; it's more a matter of calories and nutrition. it's possible to meet your calorie goals while still going to restaurants.

i will say that for the most part, the standard menu at most restaurants is laden with large, calorie-dense portions. but it's possible to make healthy choices.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I would not eat it regularly. Even chains like chilis that publish nutritional information - the data they publish us best case scenario. I've seen reports saying counts are actually higher. An extra scoop of "grill oil" can easily add 100+ extra calories.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a number of restaurants/pubs here in the UK and as daft as it sounds were never allowed to give out doggy bags for fear of food poisoning if the customer re-heated it badly or ate it much later that they should have done. Too easy to get the blame and a law suite against you/get closed down and loss of buisness. Sucks I know but I can see why they do it.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out. I'm a stay-at-home mom, so any meal I don't have to shop for, prepare, or clean up after is a bonus. We eat out usually once a week, and I try to plan ahead so I know what healthy choices they offer. We do, however, also like to eat at local restaurants, and their info is not always readily available, so I try to be mindful of my portion size as well as choosing healthier options. I also eat my exercise calories back, so if I burn extra calories, I have more to use!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i now got for the healthier options or ask for substitions.

like someone else noted, sometimes the problem is in the preparation in terms of oils and butter. for instance i can fry chicken thighs using pam on my non stick skillet and there's very little additional fat added, but if i ordered fried chicken thighs from popeyes you can be sure it's been deep fried in a huge amount of fat