At what moment can you consider yourself a runner?

Options
Last year while working out I would at times go running with my dog instead of doing the cardio portion of the P90X program. Well this year, I decided to change it up and instead of doing cardio workouts they provide, I decided to start running. In January I started off running about 1.5 miles a day. As we begin this new month, I have increased by endurance and am now running 5 miles at about 10 minutes per mile. I don't plan on doing any events as many runners do, but I do plan on continuing to increase my mileage.

So my wife (an ex runner) tells me I'm becoming a runner, I enjoy the running for the cardio burn that it gives me, so at what point does one become a runner?

Thanks for the feedback

Replies

• RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I feel the point at which you're "a runner" is when you are just sitting around, and you decide to get up and run, however far it may be. I'd say you're already well into being a runner.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I've been pondering this exact same question for myself. I feel like maybe I'll feel like I could call myself a runner with a straight face after I officially run my first half marathon in April. But I don't know if it'll click in my brain even then.

Right now I always end up "correcting" myself when talking to people. "I'm a runner. I mean, I run. I'm not really a "runner" but I'm training for running." Not like the person listening really cares.

For me, I honestly think a lot of it is my body composition. I still carry a decent amount of fat and don't look like my friends that I consider to be runners. So I sorta think that even once I finish that half, that I won't feel like a runner until I'm more comfortable in my actual body. Because the reason I correct myself if I say I'm a runner is because I feel like the person would look at how I look and think I'm just bs-ing them because there's no way a runner would have my pudgy middle and fat lower body. :\

Hmmmm...that probably wasn't helpful at all. I guess to sum up, you're a runner when you feel like you're a runner.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think anytime you run because you enjoy it, you're a runner.
  • checognadoit
    Options
    Exactly my feelings as well. I am still loose in the cage and therefore don't have the 'runners body', which I'm not looking to get lean, I am trying to look fit. But this was helpful because I am in the same boat as you.
    It's funny, I've been pondering this exact same question for myself. I feel like maybe I'll feel like I could call myself a runner with a straight face after I officially run my first half marathon in April. But I don't know if it'll click in my brain even then.

Right now I always end up "correcting" myself when talking to people. "I'm a runner. I mean, I run. I'm not really a "runner" but I'm training for running." Not like the person listening really cares.

For me, I honestly think a lot of it is my body composition. I still carry a decent amount of fat and don't look like my friends that I consider to be runners. So I sorta think that even once I finish that half, that I won't feel like a runner until I'm more comfortable in my actual body. Because the reason I correct myself if I say I'm a runner is because I feel like the person would look at how I look and think I'm just bs-ing them because there's no way a runner would have my pudgy middle and fat lower body. :\

Hmmmm...that probably wasn't helpful at all. I guess to sum up, you're a runner when you feel like you're a runner.
  • runninginpink
    Options
    I questioned myself constantly. "Am I really a runner?"

I'm 5'3'', female, and started running when I was 220 lbs. and could not stay on the treadmill for more than one minute at a time. Little by little, I built up strength and endurance and eventually made it to the point where I could run 1/2 a mile, then 1 mile, then 2, etc.

But I still questioned myself - "Am I a runner?" Certainly I wasn't performing the kinds of miraculous feats that I read about on all the running and fitness forums I visited. My average mile run was something like 13 or 14 minutes.

Eventually, I ran a 5K with some friends. Believe me, at 180 lbs. at my height, I was the fattest 5K runner there. I finished at 37 minutes.

Last year when I ran the 10K at 165 lbs., I was the fattest 10K runner. But something amazing happened. Here I was, the short-legged, hefty chick running her first 10K race....I won 2nd place in my age group for the fastest run time. I was floored. Certainly no one else expected a person like me to be able to do that. I didn't expect it.

Eventually I did move on the run a 1/2 marathon, but I sort of capped it there. I'm focusing on toning and strength training right now. I think there definitely is a full marathon in my future at some point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that what I realized, over time, is....for me, the moment that I became a runner was the first time I set foot on a treadmill at the gym and challenged myself to run. That one day snowballed into all these great achievements that I was able to perform over time. But it all started with Day 1.

KEEP IT UP!!!! You are definitely a runner in my eyes!
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When at an outlet mall, instead of walking out with the purse that was on sale, or the great clothes, I walked out with a GIANT bag of running clothes and a huge smile on my face!

When I bought a treadmill to get me through the -30C winters here.

When I have a bad day and the one thing I know that can help is going for a run.

(ps- I've only been "running" for about 4 months, but I'm hooked)
  • checognadoit
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated.
    I questioned myself constantly. "Am I really a runner?"

I'm 5'3'', female, and started running when I was 220 lbs. and could not stay on the treadmill for more than one minute at a time. Little by little, I built up strength and endurance and eventually made it to the point where I could run 1/2 a mile, then 1 mile, then 2, etc.

But I still questioned myself - "Am I a runner?" Certainly I wasn't performing the kinds of miraculous feats that I read about on all the running and fitness forums I visited. My average mile run was something like 13 or 14 minutes.

Eventually, I ran a 5K with some friends. Believe me, at 180 lbs. at my height, I was the fattest 5K runner there. I finished at 37 minutes.

Last year when I ran the 10K at 165 lbs., I was the fattest 10K runner. But something amazing happened. Here I was, the short-legged, hefty chick running her first 10K race....I won 2nd place in my age group for the fastest run time. I was floored. Certainly no one else expected a person like me to be able to do that. I didn't expect it.

Eventually I did move on the run a 1/2 marathon, but I sort of capped it there. I'm focusing on toning and strength training right now. I think there definitely is a full marathon in my future at some point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that what I realized, over time, is....for me, the moment that I became a runner was the first time I set foot on a treadmill at the gym and challenged myself to run. That one day snowballed into all these great achievements that I was able to perform over time. But it all started with Day 1.

KEEP IT UP!!!! You are definitely a runner in my eyes!
  • karley511
    karley511 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Last year while working out I would at times go running with my dog instead of doing the cardio portion of the P90X program.

^^^ This moment!
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote when I first started running and it stuck with me... because it's true.
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I feel the point at which you're "a runner" is when you are just sitting around, and you decide to get up and run, however far it may be. I'd say you're already well into being a runner.

i agree with this. i don't think you need to run a marathon to be considered a runner. merely giving a shot at the act of running semi-regularly is what makes you a runner!
    i'm stuck in the middle of the couch to 5k program but i still consider myself a runner.
  • emmlovesyewx3
    Options
    no matter where you run, who you run with, or how much you run, as long as you run, you are a runner :)- thats what my dad (who has ran so many marathons & races i've lost count :P) said to me because i just started running with him last summer!
  • shaw0311
    shaw0311 Posts: 1
    Options
    You nailed it. I am training for a sprint triathlon and I can definitely say I am not a runner, or a biker, or a smimmer. What I am is a hiker and trail runner.
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started much the same as you and but never until recently asked myself that question. a good friend said "you are a serious runner".... I went from maybe a mile a time 3 times a week to what I run now, 40-45 miles a week, 8 5Ks, a 10k and yesterday a half marathon. part of it is mindset, part of it is effort, part of it is what you are willing to spend on equipment and in what conditions will you run (heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, darkness, etc.). The obese me would not made a sacrifice to run more than to the kitchen, now i run every day but my rest day, I run in all conditions and I invest time and money in my sport.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You're considered a runner when both feet are off the ground and you're going in a continuous forward motion.

Humans have two gaits - walking (where one foot is always on the ground) and running (both feet are off the ground at the same time). Horses, on the other hand, have four gaits - walk, trot, canter, and gallop.

Point being .... YOU'RE A RUNNER!!! Enjoy!
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You know you are a runner when......

You say I GET to go run after work. Rather than I HAVE to run.

You have more running shoes than any other type.

You have more running gear then anything else

While driving you see someone running and wish it were you that was running.

Driving up a hill think it would be cool to run up this sucker.

When walking up a hill you think, it would be easier to run up!

You go out for a quick 30 min run to clear your head and end up running 11 miles (happened to me over the Christmas holidays)

The list goes on......
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote when I first started running and it stuck with me... because it's true.
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham

Word!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Sound like a runner to me
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When it's pleasure and not a chore!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Love this! I am a runner! LOL
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I think anytime you run because you enjoy it, you're a runner.

I was at San Diego Running Institute a couple weeks ago buying some running pants, a new sports bra and some gels for the half marathon I've got coming up next week. Had a conversation about this with one of the cashiers.

Cashier: How long have you been a runner?
    Me: Oh, I'm not a runner. I just run for cardio health and I'm trying to lose weight.
    Cashier: You run. You're a runner.
    Me: But I HATE running.
    Cashier: Then you're definitely a runner.

:laugh: