At what moment can you consider yourself a runner?

Options

Replies

• j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I started much the same as you and but never until recently asked myself that question. a good friend said "you are a serious runner".... I went from maybe a mile a time 3 times a week to what I run now, 40-45 miles a week, 8 5Ks, a 10k and yesterday a half marathon. part of it is mindset, part of it is effort, part of it is what you are willing to spend on equipment and in what conditions will you run (heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, darkness, etc.). The obese me would not made a sacrifice to run more than to the kitchen, now i run every day but my rest day, I run in all conditions and I invest time and money in my sport.

oh my goodness! you've lost 130 pounds AND you are one dedicated runner!!! i love what you said here... "The obese me would not made a sacrifice to run more than to the kitchen, now i run every day but my rest day, I run in all conditions." i think this is incredible. well done!

to the op- in my mind, consistency is the key as to whether you're "a runner" or whether you simply run sometimes. anyone who runs is still faster than my couch, so well done! :-)
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham

I have days when I think of myself as a runner, but majority of the time I don't. I'm not very fast, sort of plateaued when I reached the 10km mark (though I am working towards a 10miler and 1/2 marathon later this year). I hate running in crappy conditions. And if you offer me the choice of running or sleeping in, sleeping is definitely going to win. A lot of my family, friends, colleagues though all consider me to be a very dedicated runner though!

I like the above quote though. Even though I don't hold myself to the same standard apparently, I do believe that when you make that conscious decision to get up and run rather than doing something else, that's the point in time when you are a runner (provided it isn't just a one time thing!). Good for you for getting out there and running!

ETA: This REALLY made me laugh!! :laugh:
    Cashier: How long have you been a runner?
    Me: Oh, I'm not a runner. I just run for cardio health and I'm trying to lose weight.
    Cashier: You run. You're a runner.
    Me: But I HATE running.
    Cashier: Then you're definitely a runner.
  • j_courter
    Options
    When it's pleasure and not a chore!

crap, i just ran a really hard four miles yesterday (not my longest run by far, but effort wise HARD) and it was DEFINITELY a chore. sometimes it is a pleasure and sometimes it's just pain hard... i guess i'm not a runner yet. :ohwell:

i'm guessing there are other runners out there like me who would admit that running isn't always a pleasure. :glasses:
  • checognadoit
    Options
    I saw a quote when I first started running and it stuck with me... because it's true.
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham

Awesome quote! Thank you
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

crap, i just ran a really hard four miles yesterday (not my longest run by far, but effort wise HARD) and it was DEFINITELY a chore. sometimes it is a pleasure and sometimes it's just pain hard... i guess i'm not a runner yet. :ohwell:

i'm guessing there are other runners out there like me who would admit that running isn't always a pleasure. :glasses:

The pleasure would be after the run, knowing you worked your butt off doing a hard run.....
  • j_courter
    Options

The pleasure would be after the run, knowing you worked your butt off doing a hard run.....

i can't argue with that! it's so true. it's that "i did it" feeling all over again. :-)
  • checognadoit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback it is much appreciated, I just need to get out of denial and acknowledge what I am.

Hi everyone my name is Sergio and I am "a Runner'.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I say forget about looking like a runner, when you get out there and start running or jogging, you are a runner. I ran 4 marathons and I weighed between 180 and 210 lbs. I didn't look like your typical runner, But I was a runner, just a clydesdale( that was actually a category). You are what you believe you are.GREAT JOB, by the way!!! Keep at it!!
  • checognadoit
    Options
    I think anytime you run because you enjoy it, you're a runner.

I was at San Diego Running Institute a couple weeks ago buying some running pants, a new sports bra and some gels for the half marathon I've got coming up next week. Had a conversation about this with one of the cashiers.

Cashier: How long have you been a runner?
    Me: Oh, I'm not a runner. I just run for cardio health and I'm trying to lose weight.
    Cashier: You run. You're a runner.
    Me: But I HATE running.
    Cashier: Then you're definitely a runner.

:laugh:

Great way to put it! Thanks for the laughs
  • j_courter
    Options
    at least you can admit it... welcome to the club! :smokin:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

and I joined a 13,100 step plan for that!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You nailed it. I am training for a sprint triathlon and I can definitely say I am not a runner, or a biker, or a smimmer. What I am is a hiker and trail runner.

and you'll be able to call yourself a triathlete!

I still have a hard time thinking of myself as any kind of athlete! LOL
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm training for a half marathon and have wondered the same thing. I was going to call myself a runner when I finished the half marathon but seems like I can already do it? :)
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I think you become a runner when you have that moment that you realize "Holy crap!! I can run more than 30 seconds without wanting to keel over!!" For me, that was the point I knew I had switched over to the other side and became a runner!

Never thought I'd ever call myself a runner!
  • alumbrada
    Options
    One day I was jogging in the park, overweight and not fast by any means, and up ahead was a small child and her mother. The mother said to the child, "Get out of the way for the runner". I looked around, looking for "the runner" - then realized the mother was talking about me! That was the day it hit me that I was a "runner".
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback it is much appreciated, I just need to get out of denial and acknowledge what I am.

Greetings, Sergio. Welcome to The Club!
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I loved reading this and SO needed it, so thank you for posting! I have been doing Zumba for the last year and lost about 65 lbs, but I stalled so I wanted to mix things up at the start of this year. I have never run one minute in my life yet something led me to it. The first thing I did was buy a few actual running clothes and walking in to ****'s Sporting Goods, I kept waiting for someone to come up and tell me I was in the wrong section, that I certainly didn't look like a runner still at 215 lbs. I started the Couch to 5K training program only a month ago so I'm only through week 4...I remember worrying at week one that I couldn't run 30 seconds let alone a minute repeatedly.

Yesterday I signed up for and just walked a 5K to see what it felt like. I walked it in 52:05, so a pretty decent walking pace, but I realized I WANTED to run it. This question of calling myself a runner has been in my mind ever since. Today I ran 5 minutes at a time on week 4 of the c25K... nothing compared to what you've even done, Sergio, but today I WANT to call myself a runner!!!

Thank you for the discussion topic... you're not alone in thinking you don't fit the mold, but the wind on my face sure feels good!
  • emcohen
    emcohen Posts: 46
    Options
    I am currently going through the same exact thing! I signed up for a half-marathon in June and had to start with the Couch-to-5k program because I hadn't run regularly in years. I was doing well in the program but kept worrying about my slow times (most runners don't have to carry around 215lbs, do they?!) and the massive time it would take to run 13 miles.

Then today something amazing happened. I went out for a 35 minute run and ended up going for an hour. It was the first time I actually believed I could finish a half-marathon.

I guess I'm a runner too.
  • checognadoit
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm training for a half marathon and have wondered the same thing. I was going to call myself a runner when I finished the half marathon but seems like I can already do it? :)

As mentioned in many of these comments about what is considered a running and sound like you are a runner.
  • tanklissa
    tanklissa Posts: 70
    Options
    For me - it's when I found myself running outside instead of going to the gym.

LOVE running (and it's a huge stress reliever to boot!).