Looking smaller than you weigh.

Options

Replies

• dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree with jadedone. A number of people have said I look "normal" now and asked if I really need to lose anymore. They don't believe me when I say I'm still obese! I too have had people argue with me about that.

It's nice to know that I look good, but I want to fit into nice clothes! I will keep losing until that happens!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. People say I weigh about 115 and I'm actually 135. I wear a pretty small pants size (0-4 depending on brand) so that's why. Its hard to feel like I weigh "too much" when people think I weigh less, but I try to take it as a compliment and move on. The best goal is to be healthy I guess. I'd still like to be 125 though:)
  • nicolasara
    Options
    I get the same. Sometimes it's flattering but I also feel like I have to constantly justify why I want to lose weight. When my clothes feel tight and my hips start spreading I have "fat" days just like everyone else. Just because I look slim doesn't mean the scales say the same and my clothes fit. I'm 5ft 6 and went up to 11st 4. I've worked really hard to lose some of this weight, and was up against everyone who kept saying I wasn't that heavy because I didn't look it. I know what the scales tell me.
    Suppose we should be flattered that we look so slim though :wink:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you're pretty darn tall, no wonder people think you look smaller. the only people who can guess my weight right are my family members, only because i tell them, and tell them when i lose
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just carry your weight well or have low body fat? Haha idk, people told me I looked 90~100 lbs back when I weighed 120ish (and I'm 5'1). I just take it as a compliment though :)
  • closet_fatty
    Options
    Well, I guess the main problem is because I can't see what they see, and therefore don't know what is right for me. If I get down to my goal weight, will I look healthy? If people think I look 125 now, what happens when I lose the 25 pounds? Will I look like solid muscle? Will I look too thin?

I have a hourglass figure as well, which I think is one of the only things saving me from looking bigger, however I also have a fairly small torso, which shows the truth of my weight I think.

I agree with the justifying your weight thing, only I feel I have to justify it to myself more than anyone else. With everyone thinking I'm smaller it gives me pause, and pushes me more towards the lazy side of things. So I have to justify it, every day when someone compliments me. That this is why I'm losing weight, that it's for me.

I do carry a lot of muscle around with me. I work an active job, and was in multiple sports most of my life, I also have a killer metabolism when I'm not accidently starving myself by eating under 1400. However I haven't been able to find a proper way to measure my body fat %.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I usually get guesses of 130 and I'm 143 right now, muscle density is a beautiful thing. :D
  • ClaytonRosa
    Options
    Some fat is more dense than other fat. However, it is also harder to lose, and a sign of certain health risks.

Muscle is more dense than fat. If you have a lot of muscle, it would take up less space than fat. You may look as thin as someone who weighs less, but does not have much muscle.

Clothes. I know I look like I weigh more when I wear certain things.

Agreed. Because muscle is denser than fat, this means you'll weigh heavier but be leaner, leading people to think you are lighter. People normally think I am 175-180 lbs, when I'm closer to 200 lbs.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue. I've had people tell me to stop losing weight.. Even though I am still considered overweight for my height. Maybe we just hide it well? lol
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The only people who guess even close for me are people used to dealing with tall, muscular women.

Even the guess-your-weight booth was off by 40 lbs (I love prizes!)
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    It's just the way you carry your weight. I get told, by someone seeing a picture, that there is no way I weigh what I do. People think I weigh MUCH MUCH MUCH less.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite quotes from here on MFP:

"You can completely reshape your body without affecting your weight much. I simply strive to trust in the process and remember: Who sees the scale? Just you. Who sees your shrinking measurements? EVERYBODY! "
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't think people actually know what different weights look like on different frames. People had a hard time believing I was over 200 pounds and would actually argue with me. I didn't see why they thought I weighed less, but I think people have pre-conceived ideas of what a person looks like at different weights and if you don't fit that bill, they don't believe you.
  • Kirabelly
    Kirabelly Posts: 60
    Options
    People's perception of what weight looks like is completely skewed by society and the media.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe people are being polite, you shouldn't ask somebody how much they think you weigh! It puts them in an awkward position! If they guess over you'll be offended so most pople will subtract some in their head before telling you. Especially if they don't know you well. Close friends & family should be more honest. It's like when somebody say how old do you think I am? Even though they look mid 40's - you're gonna guess 38, an incorrect low guess is always better received than an incorrect high guess.
  • gordonfitch
    gordonfitch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    is it because people lie about their weight on their driving licence, and so people think people look lighter than they are?
  • closet_fatty
    Options
    Oh my. Well, I don't usually ask strangers how much they think I weigh, I don't think I would ever get a straight answer. I usually try not to ask at all. If I do, it's to the most blunt and honest people I know. The ones who I know I would rather have constructive criticism over pity any day. (: I actually want to know my problems so I can fix them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    "Skinny Fat" - It's a known phenomenon lol. You still retain a good shape and look balanced, but you store higher body fat in some areas than you should. It's a blessing and a curse gah!

Weighing more than you look is the exact opposite of skinny fat. :smile:

I really think a lot of people have no clue what anyone weighs. I blame Hollywood and Playboy magazine. Starlets and centerfolds will never admit to weighing more than 110 pounds, no matter how tall or voluptuous they are.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I usually get guesses of 130 and I'm 143 right now, muscle density is a beautiful thing. :D

This. I now weigh the same as I did last spring. 160lbs. Last spring I was a size 12. Now I am a size 6.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of telling someone I'm trying to lose 25 pounds and she really got on my case about it--like, not trying to flatter me but really being antagonistic. I'm 5'8". I finally had to show her the BMI charts to convince her that no, I would not be emaciated at my goal weight.