Zumba questions

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... it's like my zumba instructor always says... It's just as important to get up and shake it, as it is to get the moves right... getting the moves right will take time and practice... and we all look like complete morons (except maybe the instructor... :tongue:)... but trust me, no one is going to care how you look, because ALL have been there at one time or another... When my instructor introduces a new routine, I am two left feet until I learn it... then I go all out as if I were doing it since the beginning of time... And I do it right in front where everyone can see my lack o' booty shakin'....

Just go and have fun!!!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I do a Zumba class at our gym 2-3 times a week. Nobody judges and alot of us look awkward. But it's so much fun and you get so involved in it that you completely forget that anyway. Just put yourself out there. I was so scared when I first walked in but that one time was all it took and I was hooked. You can do this. Go have some fun!
  • trawad
    trawad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes you will look like a moron. But don't worry, you won't be the only one. Of course there will be the hard core fitness fanatics that make everybody feel stupid. But mostly there are regular people just trying to get in shape. I don't have any coordination either. But the class is so much fun, it doesn't matter that you don't know what your doing. If you just can't bring yourself to go, get the dvd or Wii game. Good luck to you. I hope you make it to the class.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do it! I'd love to, but I'm doing other workouts right now. However, if it is something that any part of you wants, just decide to do it. Tell yourself before you sign up and before you walk in that you don't give a da*n what anyone else thinks. Anyone who does something to make themselves better deserves nothing but love and admiration. This is YOUR journey in life, and you should let what others might think dictate what you get to do. I bet you end up loving it!
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My friend used the Zumba for Wii & also Zumba videos at YouTube to practice before she went to a class. That way she knew some moves & wasn't so self conscious. Everyone I know that has tried Zumba LOVES it. Good luck!

This is a great idea. I'll try a couple of them at home first!
  • shana_janee
    Options
    I have a question since we're on the subject...how does everyone log Zumba in MFP? In the exercise database I've noticed Zumba isn't an option. But, dancing is. Do you just put it under dancing? Or do you add it to your exercises?
  • aghack
    Options
    I do Zumba on the Wii and that way no body sees me so what ever i look like who cares lol.

It's a good workout too really gets my heart rate up. And very sweaty (soz).
    Plus its fun :)

I bet they have it for my Xbox Kinect. I love the dance games, so this could work!
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I really got tired of the same old stuff at the gym, and saw a TON of people crammed into the gym doing Zumba, and liked the music, so I thought I'd give it a try. I was hooked. Sure I was self conscious, but it really helped that there were so many other people who either didn't know what they were doing and were nervously looking around too. It's not like you see in the informercials, with the flashing lights and belly baring clothing - my Zumba classes involved women of all different sizes, shapes and skill level. It really does depend on the instructor too. A good instructor will offer modifications of the moves and switch up routines. I have a gym membership but pay extra for my Zumba classes. I've never tried the video game Zumbas, for me, it would be so much more fun with others.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No one will care what you look like - they are all too busy paying attention to what they are doing to look at anyone else! It is seriously a lot of fun and an AWESOME workout. Definitely bring a large water bottle and a towel to wipe the sweat off between songs!
  • aghack
    Options
    Thanks!
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have a question since we're on the subject...how does everyone log Zumba in MFP? In the exercise database I've noticed Zumba isn't an option. But, dancing is. Do you just put it under dancing? Or do you add it to your exercises?

I have an HRM but before that I used zumbacalories.com. It's pretty accurate for the most part.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

I have found it by searching in the database... there is also a website called zumbacalories.com where you can calculate how many calories you burned (though I find it overestimates for myself) and then you can create your own exercise... or you can find the calories out using a heart rate monitor and enter it in as well.
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor. Just go and have fun!! No one judges the participants, most people are watching the instructor to figure out what the next move is going to be. I have people of all shapes, sizes, ages and ability level in my classes. It is such a blessing to see people out there smiling and taking care of their bodies. Don't worry about what you look like, I always tell people who say 'I couldn't do it." that they were moving and that is the most important thing. Since January I have had a lot of new Zumbaers and I can tell that a lot of them have self doubt, but they have ended up loving it! I always tell people that you are not going to get the moves the first class, it may take you a month or longer and it doesn't matter. So get in there and shake that bootay!!! :D
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I do Zumba on the Wii and that way no body sees me so what ever i look like who cares lol.

It's a good workout too really gets my heart rate up. And very sweaty (soz).
    Plus its fun :)

I bet they have it for my Xbox Kinect. I love the dance games, so this could work!

Yes, they do... there is Zumba, Zumba 2 and Zumba Rush (which is not available on Wii). I don't know about Rush, but I hear that 2 is better than 1.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Go for it I went on my own in Feb last year and it was the best thing I did. No onecares if you go wrong just join in and get fit having a laugh. I need to lose almost 9 stone to be a healthy weight and along with mfp. I'm down 4.5 stone already. Push yourself and go. Feel free to add me if u like
  • ScotinSeattle
    ScotinSeattle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey MFPers,
    I want to try Zumba, but I am scared to death. Am I going to look like a complete moron? I can't dance- seriously, I have no rythm. Add to that the extra 45lbs I'm carrying, and I want to crawl under a rock rather than dance in front of others. However, this journey is about challenging myself. SO- I was wondering, how akward is it? Have any of you ever been too scared to try a group fitness class? Too scared for Zumba? How did you get over it (if you did)?

Thanks-
    Angela

From someone who is extremely uncoordinated herself, I was dragged to one by my 17 year old niece last year and I haven't looked back since. It's honestly SO much fun and who cares if you don't know the moves, just keep moving anyway you can...the thing that I did was drag a friend along...that way you can also laugh at her lol

I have a 4 hour zumbathon this Saturday and I'm so excited I could pee!!! I've seen Zumba on various TV channels and of course on youtube, you could try it at home 1st but trust me you'll LOVE IT!!! Good luck.
  • tennisluv33
    tennisluv33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 80 and do Zumba every single morning in my kitchen!!!! Love it! I feel terrible if I every skip it.....only skipped once. Nobody watches and I can let loose and go crazy. I have developed great moves. I have gone to classes before and found out that if it is part of my day before I leave the house I never skip it.
    Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I put it on as high impact aerobics
  • ScotinSeattle
    ScotinSeattle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time on Saturday and it was so much fun. I wore my HRM and was surprised at how many calories you can burn!

There were young (my DD and her friend went) and old (almost 70ish) and small and big and male and female and some were seasoned and some were new with no rhythm.

No one notices your moves since your eyes are on the teacher the whole time or at least mine were.

I am thinking of buying the Zumba Rush for the Xbox Kinect so I can do it on my own schedule.