Why do people think a male and female are a couple?

Options
Lifting_chick
Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
So what makes you think a male and a female that are together are a couple? My best friend is a male and everyone thinks we are a couple. Just because a male and female are together do people just think they are a couple instead of friends or even brother and sister?? What is the deal, we don't kiss hold hands any of that we are just friends hanging out together or at the gym.

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Because 99% of male/female pairings are couples?

Or, some people wish that their SO would work out with them at the gym?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Who would think a guy and a girl who aren't related, but partake in regular activities are a couple? That just don't compute.
  • Lifting_chick
    Options
    This weekend my bff and I were working out and a guy neither of us know, came up and told the bff he thought I was here with another guy because my bff was not wearing his hat that he always wears......
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    When you see a guy and gal together talking what is your first assumption?
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've thought of this too. I have one guy friend (we started as dating but then decided to be just friends- although I am still attracted to him) whom I'm sure when we're together we look like a couple. I never get hit on by guys when I'm with him! We laugh and talk the whole time so when I think about it as an outsider, I'd assume we're a couple too.
  • Lifting_chick
    Options
    I don't assume they are a couple, and even if I did think someone was a couple and then saw one of them with a different person....I would not go say something to them about it.....
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    its unusual to not think they are a couple.
  • lp1991
    lp1991 Posts: 30
    Options
    This happens to me all the time.....my best friend is a guy and we are close.....but it does makes us feel abit awkward when people start assuming that we are together. the comments are the worse part about it.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I used to hang out with my brother all the time and i guess people ASSumed we were a couple
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *shrug*

it only sucks when people mistake a relative for your significant other ... cause that's just creeptastic.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't really assume people are a couple unless they show communicative cues that tell me they are a couple...you can learn a LOT about complete strangers just by being observant.

And that's what happens when you take a million interpersonal communication and behavior classes in college, you just watch people and invent stories about their lives. :)

Edit: Side note, somebody asked if my bf and I were related one time. Which is especially funny because we're not even the same ethnicity. I'm caucasian, he's Mexican. And people always assume he is my son's dad (he is not) which is ALWAYS awkward because then my loud mouth 5 year old says "No, that's my Jason, not my daddy, my daddy's name is John."
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't assume but I think if your friend is your best friend and he's male there may be a bit of denial going on. If your'e heterosexual and you are closely connected emotionally maybe you should be a coup;le??? I certainly would not like my husband to form any kind of close friendship with another woman so I'm not sure on how being best friends with a guy like that impacts your couple relationships?
  • Crimson_
    Crimson_ Posts: 60
    Options
    i believe the term is probability.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Wait...What?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    When I'm walking my dog, people automatically assume it's my dog.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't assume but I think if your friend is your best friend and he's male there may be a bit of denial going on. If your'e heterosexual and you are closely connected emotionally maybe you should be a coup;le??? I certainly would not like my husband to form any kind of close friendship with another woman so I'm not sure on how being best friends with a guy like that impacts your couple relationships?

One of my best friends in the whole world is a guy, and my bf is totally ok with it. We have been friends since college, and have never been romantically attracted to one another. It's like a brother/sister relationship. I was always trying to find a nice girl to set him up with (and now he has the SWEETEST girlfriend ever), he was always trying to make sure guys didn't take advantage of me, etc. We were each other's wing man/woman in college! I'm not physically attracted to him, but we are really close friends and talk all the time. I think if there is mutual trust between you and your partner, there's no reason for it not to be ok.

That said, it would be really weird if all of the sudden I had this brand new guy friend, or if my bf had this brand new female friend---THAT wouldn't really fly with me, just seems weird to all of the sudden get a guy's # or vice versa. But my bf has female friends he's known for years that I'm totally cool with. All about what kinda boundaries each relationship has individually :)
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I like that you keep calling him your "BFF."

"Hey, you guys make a cute couple"
    "We're not a couple! We're BEST FRIENDS FOREVER!"
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    *shrug*

it only sucks when people mistake a relative for your significant other ... cause that's just creeptastic.

very creepy... but dont dem der people say keep it in the family??? :flowerforyou:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Because Harry said, "men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not everyone does! People used to think my boyfriend was my brother. We've got that more than a handful of times. Got rather annoying!