Healthy HOT Chocolate???

Options
Okay, so I know Hot Chocolate is not healthy, but I do not drink coffee or tea, and sometimes I need something warm in the morning. And I do love hot chocolate. Does anyone have a recipe to make a healthy version of Hot Chocolate??? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can do this, but my brother was asking me if you can use Whey Protein in Hot Milk and make a Hot Chocolate Drink with it. It's obviously got to be Chocolate flavored. Never tried it, not sure if anyone else has tried it.

I know this didn't answer your question, but someone could give us some results on this.

You could also use Light Soya Milk to replace Skimmed, Semi-Skimmed, etc.
  • brooklynjade4
    brooklynjade4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can do this, but my brother was asking me if you can use Whey Protein in Hot Milk and make a Hot Chocolate Drink with it. It's obviously got to be Chocolate flavored. Never tried it, not sure if anyone else has tried it.

I know this didn't answer your question, but someone could give us some results on this.

You could also use Light Soya Milk to replace Skimmed, Semi-Skimmed, etc.

i used to heat up milk/soya milk/almondmilk in a pan & add protein shake to it but make sure you whisk not over heat & drink within 20mins - once mine curdled :l not nice!
  • ChocolateisCrack
    ChocolateisCrack Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened hershy's cocoa powder, splenda, and 2 percent or fat free milk. You have adjust things to your liking but it's really good and hits the spot. :D Hope this helps
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Swiss Miss makes a diet hot chocolate that I drink all the time. If you make it with water there are only 25 calories in it.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 Tbsp sugar, and 1 ounce of dark chocolate make a cup of cocoa that's incredibly rich and decadent. 159 calories.

Most of the calories come from the dark chocolate, so if you were to leave that out and maybe add another Tbsp of cocoa it would be 109 calories.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have it every morning. Get very hot water (I have a hot water tap, but I nuke some water in the microwave if I don't.) Add some Hershey cocoa powder and stir until smooth. Add skim milk and microwave. I used to add splenda, but now I just prefer it "black." The cocoa actually adds protein and very few calories. The proportions of milk and cocoa are your choice; I like it pretty strong.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I like to have:

1 tsp honey
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    boiling water

it helps with my acid reflux
    it's also good for high blood pressure
  • kayla7303
    kayla7303 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I bought swiss miss no sugar added. there are 60 calories per envelope. it tastes delicious too. I was a little wary of the 'no sugar added' but it tasted sweet still.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I've made a delicious concoction with chocolate protein powder, a tableoon of unsalted butter and hot water in the blender. Tastes like a rich hot chocolate! Have occaisionally thown in a small chunk of 87% dark chocolate for more intense chocolate flavor.
  • maethoriel
    Options
    Swiss Miss Diet Hot Chocolate..its just a packet you add hot water to and it's only 25 calories and really good.
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    and 1 packet of normal Swiss Miss is only 90 calories, you could try to work that into your day, I do it all the time :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk, 1.5 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder. I love it.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    skim milk + 2 teaspons sugar + 1 teaspon cocoa powder = healthy hot chocolate
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    options hot chocolate! it comes in loads of flavours (belgium,oange, white,minty................................) and one serving is 36kcals. PLUS it's instant A\nd tastes really good off a spoon when you need solid-er stuff.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you can find it, I suggest this:
    dag-dcxocolatl.gif

According to the nutrition facts on MFP, it's 70 cals, 10 grams of sugar, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams total fat. And that's for 4 tablespoons. I usually only use 2 tbs.

Seriously, it's the best thing ever. I rarely drink regular hot chocolate anymore because I love this stuff so much.

But if you're not into spicy, I wouldn't suggest it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened hershy's cocoa powder, splenda, and 2 percent or fat free milk. You have adjust things to your liking but it's really good and hits the spot. :D Hope this helps

This is how I make mine... but I also stir in a 1/4t of vanilla! Makes the flavor just a little richer and more complex. So delicious!
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! :)
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    This recipe is an old Weight Watchers Recipe, but I made some minor adjustments to it. It is made with splenda, but could easily make it with stevia or the zero-calorie sweetener of your choice. This is enough for two cups.

http://www.myveggietable.com/2010/12/minted-hot-cocoa.html
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Swiss Miss makes a diet hot chocolate that I drink all the time. If you make it with water there are only 25 calories in it.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with using cocoa powder, you can use as much or as little sweetener as you like (agave, sugar, honey, maple syrup or artificial sweetener) you can use water or skim milk or almond milk, and you can add extra flavour like ginger or cinnamon. Real cocoa powder is a great source of antioxidants and iron too. diet or sugar free hot chocolate mixes are really just a lot of chemicals