Healthy HOT Chocolate???

Options
2»

Replies

• allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you happen to have a Keurig, their Cafe Escapes Hot Chocolate K-cups are 70 cals apiece. I like to make one and then add a teaspoon of powdered sugar-free coffee creamer for some flavor (french vanilla/ vanilla caramel).
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use Swiss Miss diet, which is 25 calories & put 1 Tsp sugar free caramel syrup, it tastes like Starbucks salted caramel hot chocolate minus the salt
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you have a keurig there are swiss miss k-cups they are 70 calories which isn't terrible
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ChristineDB
    ChristineDB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you like tea, David's Tea (if near and avail) offers chocolate flavored teas! They are AMAZING and close the real thing!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened hershy's cocoa powder, splenda, and 2 percent or fat free milk. You have adjust things to your liking but it's really good and hits the spot. :D Hope this helps

This is what I was thinking. I love unsweetened Hershey powder. It's found in the baking aisle. You could probably just use that and hot milk, and sweetener of your choice to make your hot chocolate.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    What's so unhealthy about hot chocolate?
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with using cocoa powder, you can use as much or as little sweetener as you like (agave, sugar, honey, maple syrup or artificial sweetener) you can use water or skim milk or almond milk, and you can add extra flavour like ginger or cinnamon. Real cocoa powder is a great source of antioxidants and iron too. diet or sugar free hot chocolate mixes are really just a lot of chemicals

I totally agree here, or I buy my hot chocolate at Trader Joes. It's made with 3 ingredients well depending on which Trader Joes hot chocolate that I have, Swiss Miss is fake. Cocoa powder is real chocolate.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    What's so unhealthy about hot chocolate?

It's not that hot chocolate is unhealthy, but the Swiss Miss is fake so it's not good for you where the real stuff which is made with cocoa powder is good for you. The more I have read labels the more I've learned, and it's soo much less calories too well except when adding it with organic milk. lol
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try drinking Ovaltine (if you have it where you live...might be one of those weird Canadian things). It at least has some redeeming qualities. If not, just go with good old cocoa powder, sugar/stevia, and water/milk.
  • jungleprincess
    jungleprincess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate protein a lot and will just mix a scoop with a cup of hot water, I think it's pretty good just try it. If I have a craving for a mocha, I'll add a tsp of instant coffee, not bad and keeping my calories way down too.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened hershy's cocoa powder, splenda, and 2 percent or fat free milk. You have adjust things to your liking but it's really good and hits the spot. :D Hope this helps

This is how I make mine... but I also stir in a 1/4t of vanilla! Makes the flavor just a little richer and more complex. So delicious!

Oh, yes, when I want it a little special :)

I also sometimes use a little cinnamon, a little almond or mint extract, or a shot of brandy. So many ways to love chocolate!
  • onefourone
    onefourone Posts: 212
    Options
    Make it out of ovaltine. Ovaltine if you look at the label aside from being made from milk soy or cow is full of vitamins and tastes good. Check it out
  • feduh86
    feduh86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • OhioMade
    OhioMade Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you can find it, I suggest this:
    dag-dcxocolatl.gif

According to the nutrition facts on MFP, it's 70 cals, 10 grams of sugar, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams total fat. And that's for 4 tablespoons. I usually only use 2 tbs.

Seriously, it's the best thing ever. I rarely drink regular hot chocolate anymore because I love this stuff so much.

But if you're not into spicy, I wouldn't suggest it.

Where can i find that?
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    'Options' sachets. 40 calories each. Tons of flavours :-)
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you can find it, I suggest this:
    dag-dcxocolatl.gif

According to the nutrition facts on MFP, it's 70 cals, 10 grams of sugar, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams total fat. And that's for 4 tablespoons. I usually only use 2 tbs.

Seriously, it's the best thing ever. I rarely drink regular hot chocolate anymore because I love this stuff so much.

But if you're not into spicy, I wouldn't suggest it.

Where can i find that?

When I was in Illinois, I got it at Meijer. I'm having trouble finding it down here in Kansas, though. Whole Foods might carry it? I see the chocolate bars in there. Hy-Vee as well, if that's around you. Maybe World Market?

I've been on the search for a while. I'll have to stock up when I'm in Illinois next month.

You can order it online, too. http://shop.dagobachocolate.com/Drinking-Chocolate/c/DagobaChocolate@DrinkingChocolate