Tips Wanted: Food Measuring and/or Weighing?

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I typically don't measure veggies ... unless it's starchy & higher calorie. Everything else, I measure. I have a scale, but typically use measuring cups of some kind.

Tips: I keep a coffee scoop in my desk for salad dressings (=2 TBL)
    8 oz. or 16 oz. Ziplock food containers "are" measuring cups for some items
    A small dixie cup is my "new" ice cream bowl. These hold about 1/2 cup.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I weigh (digital) and measure EVERYTHING - it's far too easy to cheat/fool yourself otherwise.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I do both. I measure things like olive oil, milk, peanut butter, cereal, etc. I weigh things like pasta, rice, veggies, fruit, etc.

As far as a scale, I have a digital one with a tare function, which rocks! Meaning, I can put a bowl or plate on it, then hit tare and add my actual food and it will tell me how much just the food weighs (without the bowl or plate).

This is what I do as well, although I also use it for egg beaters because I don't want to dirty up a measuring cup...yes, I am that lazy lol. I also have a scale that if I set a plate on it, and then turn it on, it will start at 0. Sorry I don't know what brand it is. My dad got it for me for Christmas and it was/is probably one of my favorite gifts of all time...I'm also a little OCD with numbers though :laugh:
    There are some pretty good ones out there that aren't very expensive and IMO definitely worth it!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    For the majority of things I have I will measure. I have a Starfrit (sp?) digital scale that I leave on my counter. It has the tar option to zero out the weight of the container, cup or bowl. I love this option and definately recommend it. I use measuring spoons and cups for liquids and the scale for anything else.

I find it much more accurate to measure/weigh things. Very quick to do and gets you the most accurate nutrional information to count in MFP. Far too many times things I have thought were a portion were double or triple. I do however eyeball things like lettuce.