Avocados

Options
13»

Replies

• deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I know this might be gross to some people but I will take half an avocado, mash it up, add some diced chicken or turkey and a little bit of dijon mustard. I mix it up like a chicken salad and just put it on whole wheat bread. I even eat it by itself sometimes. Yummy!

Yuummmm that sounds amazing. Does Dijon mustard have calories?
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    oh here's a tip I heard somewhere, not sure if it really works, but it seems to for me! If you're only eating half, slice it in half and then save the side with the giant seed, leaving the seed in it. Apparently that keeps it from turning brown right away.

Adding lemon juice helps to keep it from going brown. Or lime juice. I tried orange, and it didn't work. :D
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    They are expensive, otherwise I would eat it every day.

I cannot get my calories in the healthy way very easily. I would rather eat ice cream and be done with it.

Avocados are full of vitamins and healthy fats, and they are freaking delicious, as well as rather filling. I spread the avocado on a piece of toast and I am content.

Avocado ice cream! LOL. (It is actually really good.)
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    Helpful hint for those who love guac but can't finish an entire avocado's worth in one sitting: keep the pit in the guacamole. It won't turn brown! You still have to seal it, but it will stay fresh much longer!

I eat about 2-3 avocados a week, usually sliced over a salad. I love them!
  • ValMcB
    ValMcB Posts: 44
    Options
    Haas have more calories per ounce than Florida Avocados. Tricky part is the FL Avocados are 2-3 times bigger, so if you eat a whole Haas it will be less cals than a whole FL one. They both taste great, but Haas are a little richer in taste.

Hope this helps!

As a fellow Avocado enthusiast, I absolutely LOVE them!
  • Trugrit12
    Trugrit12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Love them! but in moderation, I started eating more of them instead of cheese, b/c they're creamy and about the same cal as 1 oz. of cheese;]
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all the new ideas and recipes you guys are giving with avocados! I usually just mash it up with a tablespoon of light sour cream and a dash of salt for tortilla chips.

I think i'll try the salsa instead of sour cream next time though and see how i like that. In general I don't care for most guac mixes because they have an off, kind of processed taste, but every once in a while I love a fresh avocado.

I really like the idea of making it into a spread like a sandwich condiment. That sounds fantastic.

I need to make an avocado recipe book!