What is so special about running???

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
This is semi -rhetorical. I have recently taken up running and after struggling through multiple injuries and problems for the past four months, today managed to run a total of 60 minutes (spread over a few sessions).

I know many people are passionate about running, and I took it up as I wanted a free, readily available exercise.

What are some results or positives people have found from running?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Running has been a godsend for me in the last year. I had a hell of a year (my mum was in hospice care for three months before she passed away last August) and running was one of the things that i could control. I could decide how far and how fast and how long and I found that I really enjoyed being able to achieve something positive when there were so many things that were completely beyond my control. Another surprising thing was that my running gave other people something positive to enjoy too - both mum and dad were very proud of the fact that I had lost weight and got fitter and was able to run... in fact I ran the local City to Surf race only a few days before mum passed away and apparently she told everyone in the hospital that "my daughter ran 12km in the the City to Surf today!"

Plus I like feeling fitter, my resting heart rate has dropped, running burns enough calories that I don't have to cut my calories too dramatically and, I just like it!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Nothing has ever burned my belly fat like running.. I'm FLAT for the first time in my life. I can get out with the wind in my hair and the sun on my skin and just have me time. I am stronger and fitter. I have more energy now at 39 than I did at 18. I'm 4 sizes smaller than I was at 18.. and 10 sizes smaller than I was 2 years ago. There are about a billion different races that I can enter, so I never get bored.. I ran some 5Ks then switched to half marathon.. now I'm training for Warrior Dash.. I'm having an absolute ball. I love it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    easy to do with little or no equipment
    enjoyable (for some)
    real-world applications; e.g., running from zombies, running from police
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

There are people who get the "runner's high," which I've never had...I just get boredom. You don't have to run to be fit, you can get the same benefits by lifting weights....excuse me, lifting heavy weights.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It makes me high. I love it. I feel strong and fit and powerful.

But that's me. If you're not enjoying it (and I know you've had injuries from it) why are you continuing to do it? Find an exercise you ENJOY!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    enjoyable (for some)

Running from zombies. This is correct!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I was never ever a runner, and in fact dreaded when we had to run the mile in gym class. I started running about a year and a half ago as another form of exercise and now it has turned into much more than that. I went from jogging in place in my living room to now having completed my 2nd half marathon at Disney. (will finish my 3rd on the 18th!). It's helped me lose weight, improve my energy, and given me something to be confident about. Similar to what another poster said, my mom also has something to tell her coworkers about. I'm by no means the fastest runner, but I know when I go out there I'm doing this for me, to finish, and to have the feeling of accomplishment not everyone gets to experience. When I finished the Princess half at Disney, I wore my finisher's medal around the park and had complete strangers, employees and not, telling me congrats and it felt awesome.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Zombieland: rule no 1 Cardio. :tongue:

I used to run a lot and along with reduced cals I lost a lot of weight doing that. (also lost a lot of muscle) I now prefer sprints. Shorter time period, more intense.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    enjoyable (for some)

Running from zombies. This is correct!

The local Zombies are really the main reason I even do any real cardio! :D
  • emmab0902
    Options
    It makes me high. I love it. I feel strong and fit and powerful.

But that's me. If you're not enjoying it (and I know you've had injuries from it) why are you continuing to do it? Find an exercise you ENJOY!
    I persevered because people including my physio told me I couldn't and that maybe running wasn't for me. I may not be in love with running to the extent I am with other things, but I do love proving people wrong who said I couldn't do it!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner...always hated it, never could do it, but it is the one thing I do that really helps me lose weight. I tried to get into it several times over the years...mostly treadmill running, I always got bored and gave up. Running outside is so much better and more interesting. I've also noticed a great increase in my lung capacity (meaning climbing stairs and hiking doesn't wind me like it used to). Also I can try to top my bests...like distance and time, so it's a challenge. I'm still into c25k right now but i have every intention on signing up for some 5ks later this year and progressing towards half and eventually full marathons.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel good from head to toe. I hate running, but I can't see myself ever stopping, it's almost like an addiction. I had horrible knees since I was a teen and avoided running at all costs until last year, partally using my knees as an excuse. Now I'm training for a half marathon, ran 10.5 miles yesterday, without stopping at all, and haven't had to wear knee braces in almost a year.

It energizes me. When I'm feeling tired, dragged out, and like I can't do a single thing, I still get myself out and run. And then I feel better afterwards, mentally and physically.

It makes me feel fit. Even if I'm still not at my ideal weight/body composition, when I complete a good run I feel like a powerhouse. I may not be the fastest runner, or have tons of races under my belt (a 5-K, a 7-K, and a 10-K so far) but every time I finish a race or a a new longest distance, I feel like a total champion and like I can do anything.

Pride in myself and from my family. My husband and my entire family are constantly proud of everything that I accomplish, from my first 5-K to just sticking to my training schedule. My parents even want to come see me finish my half in April. And I never thought that I'd be able to run a mile without stopping, much less what I'm doing nowdays.

It keeps me healthy. When I'm running regularly I don't get sick. And if I feel like there's a start of a cold forming or my nose is a little stuffed up, I go for a run, and it feels better than any cold medicine I could ever take. The first cold I've gotten in years and years was after taking almost a month off of my workout schedule.

I get to eat more. Mmmmmm...food. I love food. Go run 10.5 miles and see how much you get to eat that day. It's awesome. even running 4.5, like I am tomorrow, makes for a much more filling day.

It's a challenge for myself. I'm constantly striving to go faster, go further and just overall be better than I am. When I run in races, I'm not racing anyone there except for myself. Which keeps me on top of my training, so that I can keep advancing.

There's more stuff that makes it special to me, and yeah, there's also stuff I hate about it. But the good so far outweighs the bad, I don't see running not being a part of my life anytime soon.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I persevered because people including my physio told me I couldn't and that maybe running wasn't for me. I may not be in love with running to the extent I am with other things, but I do love proving people wrong who said I couldn't do it!

That makes zero sense to me. I know from your statuses that you've had nothing but injury. I can understand persevering with something that you love, but not with something that you're 'meh' over just to prove your physio wrong. Someone who is trying to help you avoid injuries.

No exercise is so fantastic that it's worth doing if you don't enjoy it. Even weight lifting. The best exercise is the one that your enjoy and doesn't cause you pain.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and if you're dealing with injuries, try mixing up the running. When I ran every single day, I had constant injuries. But once I changed my training schedule to include days that were for strength and days that were for cross-training cardio (ARC trainer, roller skating, elliptical, bicycle, whatever your preference.) I've been completely injury-free. (well, from working out, I suffered a leg injury last fall, but it wasn't due to the exercise)
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nothing if you hate it. I have tried running several times and never got the 'high' that other posters are talking of. I love walking, and it burns almost as many calories as running - just takes you longer to get there!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I haven't moved into the "love for running" group yet...but I do love the calorie burn that I get from it...and the sense of accomplishment after I finish a run, or get to a new milestone with it!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I've never had the runners high. It hurts sometimes. You do it in the rain and the cold and the dark. You get up at 5am to go for a run before work.

On the flipside, I love what running does for me. I love that it gives me time for myself where I don't think of anything but getting where I'm going. I love that I'm stronger, fitter, and have energy. I love that I can do it and it's free (for the most part), and I can fit it in my schedule when I'm ready. What I love most is how proud I feel of myself for doing something that takes a lot of energy and willpower, and keeping going can be really difficult sometimes. I've really never stuck at anything before. I love that running is 'my thing', and now I have friends that I know through running too.

I've been running for just over a year now, and am training for a marathon. I started going from lamp post to lamp post. A year and a half ago I wouldn't have run for a bus. ****, I wouldn't have even walked quickly!

Running may be your thing, and it may not. But you're never going to know unless you give it a good go. But if you're getting injured all the time, then maybe now isn't the time for you to be testing that out!

Good luck
  • emmab0902
    Options

That makes zero sense to me. I know from your statuses that you've had nothing but injury. I can understand persevering with something that you love, but not with something that you're 'meh' over just to prove your physio wrong. Someone who is trying to help you avoid injuries.

No exercise is so fantastic that it's worth doing if you don't enjoy it. Even weight lifting. The best exercise is the one that your enjoy and doesn't cause you pain.

I am through the injuries now and running pain free. Which I consider a big achievement to have not given up. And it wasn't just to prove people wrong, it was because I would like to one day do a triathalon so running is part of that, and I will never be one to give up on goals if they are doable.
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started running simply because it burns more calories than walking. I clearly remember the first time I ran 20 minutes in one go - a super proud moment, and I haven't looked back. Not even when a new pair of shoes caused shin splints (and I kept running to 'wear them in'). Now I feel like I'm getting cobwebs if I haven't run in a couple of days. That being said, I'm no distance runner. I had a look at a sample training diary for a half-marathon - no way could I run for hours on end (and props to those who do - incredible mind power!). For me, shorter distances are more fun, and I break the training up into sprints and cruise intervals, keep the heart rate varied and the body adapting :) Good luck, and listen to your body. Take it slowly to build up your joints.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    When you fart, no one can hear!

Hehe

I love running, it breaks the monotony and stuffyness of the gym. It makes you feel athletic and proud when you run further or faster

I just dislike the runny nose!