What is so special about running???

Options

Replies

• SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Running for me is therapeutic. During my morning runs, I go over my day and the things I need to get done, I solve problems, I come up with creative ideas. Once I have gone over those things in my head, I am able to let go and just run, without struggling, without feeling pain. And once I am done, I feel euphoric, wonderfully happy and at peace.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Running has been a godsend for me in the last year. I had a hell of a year (my mum was in hospice care for three months before she passed away last August) and running was one of the things that i could control. I could decide how far and how fast and how long and I found that I really enjoyed being able to achieve something positive when there were so many things that were completely beyond my control. Another surprising thing was that my running gave other people something positive to enjoy too - both mum and dad were very proud of the fact that I had lost weight and got fitter and was able to run... in fact I ran the local City to Surf race only a few days before mum passed away and apparently she told everyone in the hospital that "my daughter ran 12km in the the City to Surf today!"

Plus I like feeling fitter, my resting heart rate has dropped, running burns enough calories that I don't have to cut my calories too dramatically and, I just like it!
    this brought tears to my eyes. This is how running makes me feel.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Last night I just finished my first full 5km run! I am extremely proud of myself. Each week I was apprehensive as I upped the distance and time of running...but each week I surprised myself!

While I am running I get in my own head and make it even more difficult on myself...however, I am learning that it can be therapeutic. You have to learn to let go of all the 'noise' and just become one with the road... Not to mention, once I am done I feel such a huge accomplishment that all that 'struggle' makes the run worth it. It is so motivating when you are done!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    #10 - Your body was built for it. Right foot, left foot... there you go.
    #9 - Runners tend to be cooler people, a bit quirky, but they are fun.
    #8 - There are races of various lengths almost every weekend. Training for a race can be very motivational.
    #7 - You can do it with friends, make new friends. Running can be very social.
    #6 - Endorphins during and after!
    #5 - Improvement is evident. A given run gets easier each time you do it.
    #4 - It is true "me time" when you need to think.
    #3 - You can do it practically anywhere (and when the weather is bad, even the worst hotels usually have a treadmill).
    #2 - It costs you nothing but a pair of good shoes.

And the #1 reason running is special:
    #1 - You can easily find a part of running that gives you a sense of achievement (speed, distance, or a challenging hill). I ran a 50 mile ultra-marathon when I was 30. Nobody can take that away from me and the finish is still listed on the Internet.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think for me, it was just something I've always told myself I couldn't do. When I was actually able to finish a 5K without stopping, I had such an amazing sense of accomplishment!
  • anta1
    anta1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. I continue to do it because when I'm done I feel strong and like I've accomplished something. It seems to be the only thing that really gives me results.
  • susandg
    susandg Posts: 4
    Options
    I think Will Smith explains it best when he tells children that for success in life you just need running and reading. There are so many times my head tells me to quit while I'm running. Sometimes my head wins, but when it doesn't, I feel so good about myself--like when I run another 10 minutes rather than stopping. Here is the Will Smith video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08M7JpLpl4&feature=related
  • kwoj09
    kwoj09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the beginning stages of running but I love it because it's a stress realiver and it relaxes me.
  • realdeal39
    realdeal39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with running. I love the thought of it. I sit at work and, on a nice day, I'll wish I could be out there running but when I actually DO get out there and run, I spend the whole time wishing it was over.

Running has changed the shape of my legs, no doubt about that. It most definitely will tone you up rather quickly. For me, I have to do more than run to get the overall results I want but if you're looking for a quick tone up in your legs, running will do it!

I've been a runner on and off my whole life and truth be told, I don't enjoy as most people do. I do it because it doesn't take coordination - everyone knows how to run.. Putting in the effort is the hard part!

Good luck with your running career.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    There is nothing particularly special about running as a form of exercise. In moderation is can improve metabolic efficiency body-wide and generally improve health in sedentary individuals. However, strength training is far superior with many more advantages than steady-state aerobic activity. For example, only anaerobic exercise offers all of the following benefits.

• Stronger bones & increased mineral density
    • Stronger body & musculature
    • More robust organ and systemic fitness
    • Improved cardio-vascular function (better than "cardio")
    • Higher basal metabolic rate (50 cal/day/pound of muscle)
    • Healthier immune system
    • Easier fat loss
    • Increased energy and efficiency
    • Improved physical appearance
    • Slows natural loss of muscle mass over age 30

There is a potentially significant down-side to running too much. For example, check the following execerpt from this book --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18

"The scientific literature is filled with data that strongly make the case that long distance runners are much more likely to develop cardio-vascular disease, atrial fibrillation, cancer, liver and gallbladder disorders, muscle damage, kidney dysfunction (renal abnormalities), acute microthrombosis in the vascular system, brain damage, spinal degeneration, and germ-cell cancers than are their less active counterparts."

Each assertion is footnoted. They're making the point that most people have "cardio" all wrong and don't really understand how to train to be fit. The book explains why running is so incorrectly associated with cardio-vascular fitness and positive health benefits when it does little to build the systemic and organic fitness which can only be provided by increasing lean muscle mass. It's a "must read" for all trainers.

Good luck and good health!!

I didn't see any footnotes on your link.

However, here's a legitimate paper:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304383597001894

Another:

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/157/2/191
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options

So you're still getting the same weight loss and cardiovascular benefit from walking that you get from running.. it just takes longer with walking? Sounds like the over all progress is the same... and if it means that I don't have to kill my joints and get injured running, then it's fine by me.

Running does not kill your joints unless you already have a pre-existing injury and/or joint damage.

Please do a little research before perpetuating this myth: http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2012/02/no-running-does-not-ruin-your-knees.html?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blogs-_-RunningRuinsYourKnees

First off, That article is hardly considered research.. All it does it say that running does not ruin your knees and that you need to run with your upperbody/trunk... no scientific study anywhere to back up either claim.

Second, How many posts do you see on here from people that are in pain from running? Due to wrong shoes, running wrong, etc etc... How many posts do you see here from people that are injured by walking? Very few.

I have my opinion.. You have yours. I don't like running and never will... so I will continue to walk and reap the benefits from it.

You have your opinion, I have Google Scholar:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/255/9/1152.short
    "We did not find an increased prevalence of osteoarthritis among the runners. Our observations suggest, within the limits of our study, that long-duration, high-mileage running need not be associated with premature degenerative joint disease in the lower extremities. "

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/255/9/1147.short
    "There were no differences between groups in joint space narrowing, crepitation, joint stability, or symptomatic osteoarthritis. Running is associated with increased bone mineral but not, in this cross-sectional study, with clinical osteoarthritis. "

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2146895
    "Conclusion. The presence of radiographic hip OA and the progression of radiographic knee OA was similar for older runners and nonrunners. Lumbar spine BMD remained higher in runners, but changes in lumbar BMD were similar for runners and nonrunners over a 9 year period."
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Running has really lifted my self-esteem. A year ago after weighing in at my heaviest ever, I decided to do something about it and joined this site. I embarked on the C25K programme, and felt on a real high the day I ran 5k none-stop. I do not run fast, as I tend to stick to the guidelines for my age (50 next month) and wear a HRM. However, I can identify with the boredom of miles of low-intensity cardio. Being out of work I have lots of time and was doing 50 miles a week. Yes I lost 27lbs so far, but my routine was dull. I now run 3 x 1 mile a week as a warm-up before weights, plus HIIT sprint-intervals three times a week. I only do an upper body weights routine with dumbells, but do a plyometric workout twice a week. Too early to see what difference the routine is having, but the enjoyment factor is way up high!

I'm interested original poster, in what surface you are running on? I was developing a painful case of tibular tendonitis through doing sprints on the tarmac of a quiet country lane I use a lot. Many advise sprint-training on sand or grass. I run on the beach up the road. I understand you can get custom-fitted trainers, but for me the cost is prohibitive...

Btw, after someone on here recommended the book "An Accidental Athlete" by John Bingham I ordered in on Amazon, and found it an interesting and amusing slant on taking up running later in life...
  • Spelusmc
    Spelusmc Posts: 1
    Options
    I ran for 17 years and now the doctor says I have "overused my knees" WHAT?!!!!! So, no more running for me due to injury. But I can complete one hell of a hike with a 30lbs pack!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Running is cheaper than a therapist.

There's just something that makes you feel effin fantastic when you run. The first 10 mins suck for me...but after that...it is a such a stress releaiver for me. When I am running outside on a sunny morning down by the river, I have No worries. Life is good.

I started as someone who couldn't hardly run a mile and now I am training for my first half marathon :)
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That little ticker at the bottom of this post is what makes it special for me. It's just the first exercise that I have "clicked" with enough to "stick" with. That's what it's all about! If it doesn't click for you then move on until you find what does. Good luck. You will find the perfect blend if you just keep looking.
  • McPenguin
    McPenguin Posts: 67
    Options
    I was never ever a runner, and in fact dreaded when we had to run the mile in gym class. I started running about a year and a half ago as another form of exercise and now it has turned into much more than that. I went from jogging in place in my living room to now having completed my 2nd half marathon at Disney. (will finish my 3rd on the 18th!). It's helped me lose weight, improve my energy, and given me something to be confident about. Similar to what another poster said, my mom also has something to tell her coworkers about. I'm by no means the fastest runner, but I know when I go out there I'm doing this for me, to finish, and to have the feeling of accomplishment not everyone gets to experience. When I finished the Princess half at Disney, I wore my finisher's medal around the park and had complete strangers, employees and not, telling me congrats and it felt awesome.

Wait... there's a marathon at DISNEY? That's it... I'm starting C25K today. Running it is!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My New Year's resolution last year was to complete a 10K race...I wanted to get fit and take part in an exercise that my boyfriend loves so we could do it together. I got up to a distance of 5Km, lost interest, found it too hard to go any further and gave up so I didn't do it - typical quitter! This year, since started MFP, I have signed up for a 10K race in June so that I have something to aim for, and I've already increased my distance to 8.5 km so I'm not too far off my goal now! I'm still far too slow to keep up with my boyfriend - we sometimes start together, then he detours to do an extra mile or two and joins me for the finish!

I'm not a natural runner and I really have to make myself get up and go out for a run, especially when it's cold or dark, but when I do....and when I beat a personal best....it's an amazing feeling! I try to run twice a week; a shorter run in the week to keep the momentum going and a longer one on a Saturday when I have more time and am not pressed by work. I also kickbox once a week and play netball twice a week to vary my activity. I like to run in the rain - it's so refreshing when you are hot and sweaty! I also like to run with friends - it's much easier to run when you have some support, so try joining a running club or getting a coach rather than going it alone.

If you are getting a lot of injuries, make sure you are wearing the correct shoes - go and get your gait analysed at a reputable running store and they will tell you if you need supports in your shoes. Also make sure that you have proper rest - if you are running every day then your muscles might not have enough time to repair before the next run. Other things to try are to vary your running style (heel-strikes vs toe-strikes), mix it up with hills, offroad, sprints and road running, try barefoot shoes, warm up properly (never stretch cold muscles!! Walk or jog for 5 minutes or practice 'active stretching' before a run), cool down properly and do exercises between runs to keep your troublesome muscles in shape. I used to suffer from terrible pains in my ankles during a run, but since I started doing ankle rotations and strength training exercises for my legs, the pains have magically vanished. Another thing I would recommend is the Podrunner podcasts - these are podcasts of dance music that is set to a certain number of beats per minute. The idea is that you match your running pace to the beat - they have a set of podcasts for C25K, try it out, they're free on iTunes!!

I understand that running is not for everyone but I do think that if you have just started out, you need to persevere with it a bit before you really find out if you like it or not. Most people 'don't like' things that are hard - but once you get a bit fitter and running gets easier, you might find you love it!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    haha I love this example: running from zombies.. ;D
    I like running but I get tired very fast, when I run in a treadmill I can during longer, but when I try to run in the street I get tired very very very fast. I don't understand why, and also when I run in a treadmill I always run at the same speed, when I run in the street I run fast in the beginning then I find it more difficult as I progress. Actually, one of the reasons why I get tired is because I have anemia but I'm taking my medication now, I hope it'll get better, I love running, and I love the feeling I have after running :)
    you actually have to propel yourself forward running outside instead of a treadmill so that requires a bit more energy....but it's just more fun that way :)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was never ever a runner, and in fact dreaded when we had to run the mile in gym class. I started running about a year and a half ago as another form of exercise and now it has turned into much more than that. I went from jogging in place in my living room to now having completed my 2nd half marathon at Disney. (will finish my 3rd on the 18th!). It's helped me lose weight, improve my energy, and given me something to be confident about. Similar to what another poster said, my mom also has something to tell her coworkers about. I'm by no means the fastest runner, but I know when I go out there I'm doing this for me, to finish, and to have the feeling of accomplishment not everyone gets to experience. When I finished the Princess half at Disney, I wore my finisher's medal around the park and had complete strangers, employees and not, telling me congrats and it felt awesome.

Wait... there's a marathon at DISNEY? That's it... I'm starting C25K today. Running it is!

There's a few of them :)...the princess half is my goal for next year
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's my me time. When I run no one else has any demands on my time. I don't have to feel bad thinking I should be doing something else. My brain is free to think everything over, I do all my essay plans while running. It wakes me up for the day. Gets me outside, makes me feel at one with nature. It has completely changed the way I breathe. I had bad asthma and got constant chest infections, I have had bronchitis three times, pleurisy, pneumonia twice, trachiitis, and other more minor infections. Since I started running I haven't had a day's illness. I feel so much better. I don't even have an inhaler any more.
    On top of that I have lost about 2 1/2 stone.