Do you eat your extra calories from working out?

Options
I was just wondering how many of you eat your "earned" calories from working out? I dont, I eat my regular goal calories and that is it. Is this bad?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat them, did from the get go.

It's the way this site is designed to work. You have a calorie deficit without exercising. Other calorie counting plans include the exercise you SAY you're going to do into your calorie goal. MFP doesn't include it unless and until you actually DO it.

So another site might tell you to eat, for example 1800 calories, assuming you'll do a half hour of exercise daily and burn 300 calories. MPF will tell you to eat 1500 calories, then if you exercise and burn 300 calories, it adds that to your 1500 for the same total of 1800.
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do and I've found that it works out better for me!
  • Karen_ZH
    Karen_ZH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't manage to eat some of the calories I get from working out. If I am actually HUNGRY, then I will eat them. Otherwise, I just pay attention to how I feel.
  • mommy2twingirls
    Options
    I do as well. I have found if I don't I dont have the energy for the workout AND I find myself starving!!! :)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat them!!!!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat my exercise calories and enjoy every last bite!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Always have done, always will do. 822 extra yesterday! :drinker:
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    YES! i eat most or all of my calories earned from my workouts, if i dont i feel hungry(always hungry after a workout anyway). I think eating my extra cals actually helps me keep the weight loss at a steady pace and able to keep the weight off when i do have a bad week!

3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i haven't since january2 when i started back....but just like the last time i am at a stand still no weight loss or inches so now i have to eat them to get the scale moving again! when will i learn??????
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    YES. Oh boy do I!
    I wear a HRM so I get a realistic number and avoid overestimating the calories to eat back. I usually leave a small quantity, just for wiggle room.
  • sethduncan
    sethduncan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Most times the work out makes me hungry so I go for it, but I still try to manage a deficit to help out in the long-run.
  • woodbct
    woodbct Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm still confused about whether or not to eat the Net caloriesa after working out. I just started P90X (typing this hurts!) and I know I will need to eat well duiring the program but I need to lose 25 lbs. My calroie intake is supposed to be 1200 to lose the weight but I keep getting an additional 500 calories after I log in my exercise for the day. Can I eat those calories and still stay on track for my weight loss target?

Someone mentiona a "700 calrie" article but I couldn't find it. Anyone have a link?
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm 26 years old and this is my second time really dedicating myself to loosing weight. The first time I did weight watchers and I worked out every day and ate almost all the extra calories I earned, and the results, I lost 34 lbs in 9 weeks. This time, I try to burn about 800-1,000 calories in a workout and I do that about 5 times a week, but I only eat a very small portion of the calories earned thinking I'll lose the weight faster and the weight is coming off at about the same pace, maybe even a little slower. I think it just depends on your body type, and how your body is reacting to the dieting and working out.
  • hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of activity I am doing, or how hard I am pushing it. Be careful if you are using the machines to estimate calories burned, they tend to HIGHLY overestimate.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Always have, always will!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused about whether or not to eat the Net caloriesa after working out. I just started P90X (typing this hurts!) and I know I will need to eat well duiring the program but I need to lose 25 lbs. My calroie intake is supposed to be 1200 to lose the weight but I keep getting an additional 500 calories after I log in my exercise for the day. Can I eat those calories and still stay on track for my weight loss target?

Someone mentiona a "700 calrie" article but I couldn't find it. Anyone have a link?

With 25 pounds to lose, make sure you're set to ONE pound a week. 1200, even with your exercise calories, might not be enough.

I ate between 1350-1500 plus exercise calories for most of my weight loss, averaging between 1800-2000 a day. I'm maintaining now, and eat 1700 + exercise calories.
  • cathypowers1
    Options
    Oh hell yes! (Can't figure out why I've only lost 13 pounds:happy: )
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    HECK YA!!!

I live to eat and eat to live and love food and it loves me.........lol!

I can't live on 1200 calories.......especially if I work out. MFP suggests 1200 calories for my base. I usually eat more and then most of my exercise calories......I try to focus on hitting the weekly goal more so then the daily one.

Lost almost 20lbs in 7 weeks and went from not running a step to enough energy for 5-8 miles 4-6 days a week
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yep most of them. If I'm hungry I eat them if not I dont its simple for me.

I didnt eat them all yesterday but try to eat good healthy unprocessed food especially protien after my runs
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    Thanks guys! Maybe I will try it and see what happens :)