Do you eat your extra calories from working out?

Options

Replies

• kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day...I've been trying to jsut eat when I'm hungry (but of course taking in a minimum of 1200 cals/day)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I'm hungry, if not then I don't. My goal is 1580, I do not let myself eat less than 1350, and I rarely need to eat my exercise calories.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    Yes!

My base is 1200. I work out so that I can have some flexibility in my diet, be social and enjoy life while still losing!
  • goldengodd3ss
    goldengodd3ss Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great question Mountaingirl! I also wondered the same thing.

From reading the responses, I suppose consensus is: go ahead, eat the earned calories and eating the earned calories may in fact help with weight loss.

Correct me if I'm wrong? :huh:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    HRM calories I might bank for the weekend or for an ice cream in the evening, but swimming calories I might indulge about 40%'s worth as I'm not really sure of the accuracy of MFP.

Either way, I probably eat about 50-60% of my exercise calories throughout the week and then there's always the weekends in the pub!!! :drinker:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    <---- Shed 135 pounds (EEK!)
    Dropped her body fat from 56% to 22%
    Shed 100 inches all over her body
    Eats her exercise calories.

:)
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I usally do that why I work out so much :drinker: :laugh:
  • happy2mamma
    happy2mamma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If I eat the extra calories, my new focus is to make them healthy calories and not empty calories.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    every single one of them ;D
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It just depends...on how much I've exercised, what kind of exercise it was, and where I'm at in my menstrual cycle (sorry--TMI).

If I did strength training and cardio....like today....I will probably eat a lot of them back and it will be lean protein. I wont eat them all back, because I have thyroid issues and a lower BMR yada yada...it's so indivualized to you and it really needs to be.

I lose best when I eat some of them back. You have to just play with it. Find yo special numba.
  • rj3136
    rj3136 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am new to this. However I don't eat mine. :)
  • addies_mom
    Options
    I only eat them if I'm hungry, so about half the time. My usual workouts burn 300 calories, so not significant.
  • bdeese2001
    Options
    yes we should eat those earned calories from working out. your baseline is what your body needs just to do normal functions. If you workout you put your body in a energy deficit and are missing out on vital nutrition your body needs just to function.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You are suppose too...people who don't should. Your body needs fuel. You are still in calorie deficit so why wouldn't you. The calorie number MFP gives you is what your body needs to function AND lose weight before working out. If you burn more you will need to eat more. Basic science!
  • Hoover8it
    Hoover8it Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    98% of the time I eat them...........It makes me feel I have a little more room to play with when it comes to my food:tongue:
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit is set at 1740 a day. That always seems to be enough for me. So I don't eat back my exercise calories. I really don't want to workout just to eat more. haha But everybody is different.
  • bdeese2001
    Options
    If I eat the extra calories, my new focus is to make them healthy calories and not empty calories.

amen to that!
  • Lisalovespies
    Options
    i eat mine and am losing weight at a steady pace so must work. it also stops me feeling hungry and i don't feel deprived if i eat something that is a bit more calorific than normal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Most days I drink them in a wine glass. :drinker: But on days I don't work out I eat (and drink) pretty much the same amount as on days I don't. If I go too many days without exercising I gain weight.