Shower Before or After?

Options
Ok - I'll make this one short and sweet. I've had a "discussion" with a friend of mine who insists it is better/feels better to take a shower before working out.

Thoughts?

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in taking a shower before!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    If I felt mega gross from work I'll shower before then again after!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I dont really ever shower before working out... seems pointless. DEFINATELY after though!
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    after! but i can see why a before shower would be a good idea to kickstart urself in the morning
  • michael300891
    Options
    I definately dont see the point of before as your about to smell a lot worse than you already do so I prefer after. But I know that Hugh Jackman when he was training to be Wolverine would have an ice cold shower at 6am then go straight into gym training. He reckoned the pain of the shower made him feel really angry (and also in character) so he could beast out an epic gym sesh. Always wanted to try it but im to scared of cold showers haha!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I shower when I get up and after gyming. If this means I shower twice within a few hours, so be it.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Some people come into my gym having not taken a shower yet that day and they smell absolutely disgusting. I don't think that an AM session at the gym should mean that you don't need to take a shower when you wake up, although I do see that it's a bit of a chore.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out in the morning I'll wait until afterwards, but if it's a later workout I'll shower in the morning as usual and again later, even if it's only a couple of hours later at lunch time.
  • cammiemimi
    cammiemimi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, Dr Oz had that listed as a kick start to your metabolism. That if you took as cold of a shower as you could stand and had the water especially pouring on the back of your neck and shoulders first thing in the morning, then worked out, that you metabolism would already be kicked started due to you shivering.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    After definitely, I would rather shower after I get all sweaty than before I got all sweaty. :glasses:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    If you don't take a shower after, you aren't working hard enough. (Or you smell like a sewer)
  • davidandrewwillis
    Options
    Supposedly, Dr Oz had that listed as a kick start to your metabolism. That if you took as cold of a shower as you could stand and had the water especially pouring on the back of your neck and shoulders first thing in the morning, then worked out, that you metabolism would already be kicked started due to you shivering.

Maybe this is where my friend got the idea. Honestly I'd never thought about it, but as I'm new to the whole working out thing, I'm pretty wide open to suggestion. So today took a shower right before going for my walk/jog and wowsa did I feel motivated.... so maybe there's something to this after all.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Ew. Shower after. Why the heck would you even shower before?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I have been playing Indoor Soccer in Leagues since 1979. Scheduled games are on Sundays. I shower before and after. The "before" shower is all part of the ritual to get ready for the game. Shower, Tape Up. Prep water bottles. Protein snack for between games if I have more than one. Pack my bag. Been doing it for over 30 years. Wouldn't be ready to play without the shower.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can't make myself wake up extra early to shower or work out in the morning. I work out in the evenings, about half an hour after dinner. My ritual is to have dinner, clean up, make my lunch for the next day and then work out. I take a shower afterwards. It helps me relax and get ready for bed. Every article I've read and dermatologist I've asked said it's better for your skin to shower at night. It gives your skin 8 hours of being clean to breathe and recover from all the gunk that gets on it during the day. And of course you can take a shower again in the morning if you want to, but you don't have to. Unless you work out.
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    after
    pointless to take one before
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    This has to be the most absurd question I have ever read on here .Shower before is better then after work out ???? Your asking if this is true ???? Come on get real ...................
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Never before- waste of water. Always after.
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Always after :)
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If I'm exercising at home I won't shower before, assuming it's a morning workout. If I am going out I will absolutely shower. Even before my 8am classes. I just make it a very quick one. (The only exception was 6am spin classes - I'd just wet down my hair until it was presentable. Sometimes that meant it looked like I showered ;-))