Whey Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i only use this on days i do weights. i have one straight after my workout and a slow release one at bedtime for muscle recovery.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check out www.proteinreport.com. It educated me. Read thru the chapters listed on the left.

I've never used protein shakes to control hunger, it doesn't work for me. I use it to help my body recover from a workout and to meet my daily protein needs (30-35% of total calories) because I lift heavy weights. I drink it within 30 minutes after a workout. I buy 100% pure whey isolate, natural flavor. It's low-calorie, low-carb, low-fat, fast-absorbing, high-quality protein with no fillers, sugar or artificial sweeteners. Before bed, I eat some cottage cheese because it's digested slowly. I can't afford two different types of protein powders (whey and casein).
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have 3 whey protein shakes per day.
    First thing in the a.m....after I get up. I usually toss a banana in with water & 1 scoop protein...blend. The banana is good carbs, and I need to replenish my potassium levels, because I am on a high blood pressure med that is also a diuretic.

Second...in the afternoons. Sometimes I have one before I work out...or after..sometimes I make a smoothie with it, and have a salad alongside it!

Last...right before bed. I always do 2 scoops before bed. I add some frozen fruit & water...and it's like a thick milkshake! I get an extra serving of fruit, fiber, AND my protein goal is met for the day!
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Horseyrider
    Horseyrider Posts: 22
    Options
    I won't touch it. Here's an explanation that's better than I could verbalize:

"Compared to fresh milk, powdered milk (and powdered eggs) are stated to be exceptional high in oxysterols (oxidized cholesterol). The free radicals have been stated to have atherogenic (“causing atherosclerosis”) and carcinogenic (“causing cancer”) properties. Powdered milk is frequently added to 1-2% pasteurized milk to give it more body."

http://www.becomenatural.com/blog/2007/03/powdered-or-dry-milk/

I drink raw milk only. I've had whey before when it's leftover from making cottage cheese; but I cannot imagine going out of my way to ingest it. Even the chickens won't drink it.

Also, any contaminants such as pesticides, hormones, etc are passed along in the powder, sometimes in scary concentrations. Powdering milk and milk products such as whey are a way for the industry to sell cheap excess or questionable milk for exhorbitant prices.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

I am not using it as a meal replacement--to get that straight. I drank it with milk this morning for breakfast, I also ate a banana.
    I was just wondering when the best time for me to drink it was since I'm leaning towards loosing a little bit of weight.

There is no "best" time to drink it to benefit weight loss. As already pointed out, whey protein does not cause you to lose weight in and of itself. It is often lower in calories and contains a lot of protein which helps you meet your macros without packing in calories. Protein can also help keep you full, which combined with the lower calories, can also benefit you in a diet.

As someone else noted, unless you are a serious athlete, meal timing is irreverent. Work it into you meal plan where it works for you.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I typically only use it after I workout but it can be used for breakfast or a snack or whatever.