"Burpees"?

Options

Replies

• robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    they are the worst yet best to do! I hate them with a passion but do them a lot :sad:
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    a burpee IS a squat / thrust - except it has the added Jump component added to the end. (a traditional squat thrust has no added jump)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i think you jump and squat and jump and squat?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My husband did them in the Navy. They are called 8 count body builders in the Navy. He always said they were the exercise made by the devil. But they are good for you if you can do them. Good luck.

That's basically what my husband who was in the Marines thinks of them as well. I sometimes use them as a really fast warm-up for pole or stretching, it works.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    a burpee IS a squat / thrust - except it has the added Jump component added to the end. (a traditional squat thrust has no added jump)

And don't forget the push-up. I know it is optional, but it does take it up a level.
  • angellarae
    Options
    My hubby is in the military, and they had a thing where each day you did one more burpee... So you did 1 on day 1, 2 on day 2, 3 on day 3, etc. I think he quit after day 35 or so. They're though, but they're good exercise!
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i did 80 today in my workout. i want to die.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

And don't forget the push-up. I know it is optional, but it does take it up a level.

I didn't know the push up bit was optional, we always do them with it in my circuits classes. Jump squats are just jump squats.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do these with the push-up. Very hard to do.
  • kristiru
    kristiru Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight, bend your knees and put your hands by your feet ("bug" position), jump back in to a plank, do a push up, jump your feet back up to your hands(bug), jump from "bug" straight up and reach to the ceiling, back down to "bug". repeat. So this is what I say in my head to get through one 8 count: bug, plank, push, up, bug, jump, bug, breathe.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    We used to have to do them in junior high and high school - they were called squat thrusts then ... hated them then and hate them now. LOL!

no, they are worse than squat thrusts - they don't have the jump at the end.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's what the inmates do. I see it all day long. They are in good shape I hate to say. When my trainer wants me to do them I laugh and tell him I'm NOT an inmate. He still makes me do them.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options

Yes the push-up is optional but hey this is probably the best plyo move ever!!! Get to burpeeing ;-)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you wanna know how to do burpees watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfNA_lmkHM

They are brutal! but in the best way possible.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    In the class I teach, I have them do about 200 during the warm up Bwahahahaha!
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    THEY ARE THE WORST!!!!!!!! lol

this
  • slimmerme2012
    Options
    I love doing burpees!
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i hated burpees:mad: ,,,but i watching the worlds fitness women and they were knocking them out like nothing:ohwell: ,,, so last week i added them to my dont get to bed :yawn: until i do ten,,,and they are not as bad as i thought,:smooched: ,,
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Burpees and was wondering about how many calories are burned when doing them? Thanks in advance
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It depends on speed, and variation.