"Burpees"?

Options

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I just recently heard about a workout called Burpees. I never heard of this before and I was wondering if anyone else knows about it? If so, what is it and is it a good workout?

They're great! Jillian Micheals's favorite move. Haha
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    i hated burpees:mad: ,,,but i watching the worlds fitness women and they were knocking them out like nothing:ohwell: ,,, so last week i added them to my dont get to bed :yawn: until i do ten,,,and they are not as bad as i thought,:smooched: ,,

I hated them at first, too - but I love them now. Well, maybe not love. "Appreciate." :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on speed, and variation.

And weight, age, sex. They are very demanding and burn a lot of calories since you lift your whole body weight each time. Excellent exercise.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    they should be called "*kitten*-kickers!"

Yes, yes they should!!! :laugh:
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    We do them quite frequently in my cardio circuit class! Very hard!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Love them!
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a video of someone doing them so I can add them into my fitness routine?
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I see Burpees and think of vegetable and flower seeds. o.O

Me too!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a video of someone doing them so I can add them into my fitness routine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps

The jump isn't required, it's a variation on it. You can just stand, jump forward/backward, jump to a bar and do a pullup, all kinds of things (or do the crazy rings thing the guy in the video does if you want to show off).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Burpees suck. They are my personal trainer's favorite form of torture.
    Trainers love burpees for their clients. We revel in torturing..............

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nenabobena
    Nenabobena Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees with passion! They hurt so bad they should be illegal!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Very hard but I can honestly say I LOVE burpees :)
  • Richdogg38
    Richdogg38 Posts: 152
    Options
    I love/hate burpees, but they are the best!
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    they are super good for you! do 15 and see how tired your body feels
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hate Hate Hate them.... this move is part of my fitness bootcamp 3 days a week. But since I hate them so much I know they are good for you.... you never like the moves that are hard. lol
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have also heard them called "squat thrusts." That makes me giggle a bit when I hear it. One of my recent NSVs was to be able to do 20 good Burpees in a row. I have a love/hate relationship with them. Enjoy!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

A squat thrust is a burpee without a pushup. Burpees are a great exercise and I hate them. I do them, but I hate them.
  • trogers1016
    trogers1016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes Burpees and mountain climbers the two I hate the most. We do those in my boot camp as well.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yes Burpees and mountain climbers the two I hate the most. We do those in my boot camp as well.

Yeah, I don't like mountain climbers either. :grumble: But I remind myself that if I don't like them, its probably because they challenge me and challenging myself is a good thing.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    i did 80 today in my workout. i want to die.

Very impressive! I would have passed out after 40.
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    never heard them being called this but, yea i hate them! did them in school and now i do them when i do insanity... every time shaun t says get ready it takes me to a dark place in my life where i just wanna punch the tv screen. man i hate them but they feel great after ur done with them.