Looking for a weight lifting routine

Options
_Ben
_Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
Hey guys, I just joined planet fitness, and Im looking for a good weight lifting routine. Ive never weight lifted before, so this is all a bit new to me. Im looking to try to get a routine started, but I need some suggestions for where to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get started?

NOTE: Look, I get PF is not the best place to become a huge body builder. Thats not my goal at all. I want to build up my muscle mass and size, and I know I can do that at PF, just need to know where to start.

Replies

• aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I would check out bodybuilding.com. They have a lot of programs for men/women for lifting. They have programs for all levels as well.
  • princesspita
    princesspita Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it depends on your strength goals of what you should do and how your body responds to it.

If you are wanting to get strong, get on the free weights for your core strength lifts.

Here's my typical routine:

M - Bench, Squat (both are done with 3 warm up sets at lighter weights then final set is working set to failure), followed by dumb bell rows/tricep extensions (3 sets each arm), and situps or knees to elbows.

T - Power Cleans and then Pendlay bar bell rows (again 3 warm up sets at lighter weights and final working set to failure), followed by 30-40m of interval cardio or if the weather is moderate something outside (hill sprints, snow shoeing).

W - Rest Day (although I'll hit cardio every other Wednesday on average just so I can eat more calories)

TH - Deadlifts and Strict Press (3 warm up sets, final working set to failure), followed with cardio

F - Incline Bench, Squat (3 warm up sets, final working set to failure), followed with dumb bell rows/tricep extensions and then ab work.

In addition to this schedule, if there's fresh powder then I'm out skiing.

I have all my weights and squat rack at home, so I only have to go to a gym when I'm traveling. I would get booted out of PF since I grunt and when I fail a lift I may end up dropping the bar.

Since you are new at lifting, I'd suggest taking a few classes specific to weight lifting so you can work the form. Start with lighter weights to get your form down. Never compromise your form.

Good luck to you!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    look up New Rules of Lifting or Stonglifts 5x5 to get some ideas for a routine.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has great starter routines for anybody :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I fumbled around a lot until I got Mark Rippetoe's starting strength. It's a good launching point.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I just joined planet fitness, and Im looking for a good weight lifting routine. Ive never weight lifted before, so this is all a bit new to me. Im looking to try to get a routine started, but I need some suggestions for where to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get started?

NOTE: Look, I get PF is not the best place to become a huge body builder. Thats not my goal at all. I want to build up my muscle mass and size, and I know I can do that at PF, just need to know where to start.

I just started with The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is amazing. The book is very helpful and offers diet and nutrition advice as well as detailed instructions on how to properly do the exercises. I checked it out at my local library first but loved it so much I bought it. There is a book fro men, for abs, and I think a new book coming out this summer.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump..
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would check out bodybuilding.com. They have a lot of programs for men/women for lifting. They have programs for all levels as well.

definitely! Bodybuilding.com has awesome workouts!!! I follow Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer. It's geared toward girls, but I know that it would be just as good for guys. I work out with the men...they are learning to stay out of my way! Ha!
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options

Just an FYI, I consider myself pretty awesome, not a body builder, but I go to Planet Fitness and it is awesome. I would suggest 1) not using the machines but rather exploring different free weight exercises based on different muscle groups, and 2) eventually purchase New Rules of Lifting for Women. Everyone raves about it, I haven't gotten it yet but I am soon going to purchase it.

I would just google strength training exercises for free weights and explore different techniques. Plus, get a boost of confidence and ask someone to spot you, if you aren't comfortable on your own. Truth is, those machines are easier on your muscles because they target specific muscles, do not hit supporting/stabilizing muscles, and also go against your own biomechanical path which increases injury. Free weights are the way to go!
  • hawtpep
    hawtpep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

This is what I just started. Helloitsdan pointed me to this.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the book New Rules of lifting. It's designed for beginners and will give you a good guide on what to do.
  • cachete22
    Options
    starting strength by Mark Ripptoe is a good program out there. it focuses on teaching how to do what he calls the primary lifts (squat,deadlift,press,power clean,bench), and setting a up a routine. I've also heard good things about strong lifts 5x5 but have no personal experience with it.
    ---
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Check "Starting Strength" third edition by Mark Rippetoe. The book gives a basic routine for weightlifting and even more important, provides information on how to do it safely, with proper form.

For women, there is the book, "New Rules Of Lifting For Women"

I would strongly recommend buying the the SS book since it contains lots of tips and guidelines (I own it as a paperback and kindle edition and bought the accompanying video as well) but if you prefer websites, the following will help

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

http://stronglifts.com/

Best of luck.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    ^^ +1
  • JetFixer
    JetFixer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. It is a fantastic routine!!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

definitely! Bodybuilding.com has awesome workouts!!! I follow Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer. It's geared toward girls, but I know that it would be just as good for guys. I work out with the men...they are learning to stay out of my way! Ha!

I am doing the LiveFIt program and I really like it... I started without any real lifting experience and this was great. After I am done with the program in March I plan on doing the New Rules for Women to continue lifting!! :bigsmile:
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    bump. gotta read with more time! I LOVE WEIGHT WORK!!!!!!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind to safely squat, you should have a power rack. This allows you to set the weight down if you have to, without it pushing you all the way to the ground. You might not have a power rack at Planet Fitness.

When you deadlift, it needs to be a certain height off the floor as well. Make sure they have bumper plates for their olympic barbells, unless you plan on starting cold on 135#, which is a bad idea.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, headed to school, but ill take a look when I get a chance

BTW cause someone asked, I would want a build like one of these two:

bradley%2Bcooper%2Bryan%2Bgosling%2Bshirtless%2Babs.jpg

BTW, thats a goal. Me actually turning out like that, not likely

Not like this:

true-natural-bodybuilder-front-big.jpeg
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    30 day shred?