Looking for a weight lifting routine

Options
2»

Replies

• _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    30 day shred?

I already do 30ds every day for a cardio workout. I double time my exercises, and use 10lb weights instead of 2.5
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    Hey guys, I just joined planet fitness, and Im looking for a good weight lifting routine. Ive never weight lifted before, so this is all a bit new to me. Im looking to try to get a routine started, but I need some suggestions for where to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get started?

NOTE: Look, I get PF is not the best place to become a huge body builder. Thats not my goal at all. I want to build up my muscle mass and size, and I know I can do that at PF, just need to know where to start.

you can sign up at PF to design a program. i go in MA and the trainer is great.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or
    Strong Lifts 5x5
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    30 day shred?

I already do 30ds every day for a cardio workout. I double time my exercises, and use 10lb weights instead of 2.5

You need a lot more weight and a strength training routine to look like Bradley Cooper. Don't worry about looking like the body builder that takes years of hard work and a caloric surplus. (He is training to look like that, it is not an accident and you cannot look like that without trying.)

30 Day shed is more of a cardio circuit training that uses light weights, it is not a strength training routine.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Said already but Stronglifts 5x5. I just started it myself and I am loving it.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Like others have said bodybuilding.com is good. I personally really like Muscleandstrength.com. They have a bunch of routines based on goals and how often you want to work out. Good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    30 day shred?

sorry I couldn't find the emoticon for sarcasm
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I fumbled around a lot until I got Mark Rippetoe's starting strength. It's a good launching point.

A brilliant starting point. I agree.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or
    Strong Lifts 5x5

This. But sadly, Planet Fitness will more or less forbid you from doing this sort of routine.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Planet Fitness = NO DEADLIFTS = I stopped going there.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    wha? No deadlifts? fail.
  • dokihara
    dokihara Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or
    Strong Lifts 5x5

+1
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    At the planet fitness I go to, Im not really sure what its called, they have an 'assisted' deadlift, essentially, you cant drop the weights, because they are in a sliding rack.

Just got done with day two, and I appreciate the suggestions guys. Im gonna see if I can make an appt next week with the trainer there, set up a routine
  • tigersword
    Options
    Smith machines (the sliding rack you're talking about) are pretty much the worst invention in the history of anything, in my opinion. They do most of the real work for you, and you lose a good bit of the benefits of actual barbell training because of that. It's better than nothing, but the difference between using a Smith Machine and doing free barbell training is massive.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Using machines for your deadlifts and squats robs you of so much.