subway eating

Options
Hi guys I wanted to know your opinions on eating at Subway. I've never eaten there myself but I'm trying to try new things. Have any of you ate there? Any suggestions on what I should try? Let me know also feel free to add me as a friend:)

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I eat there all the time. I usually get a veggie on wheat. Love their breakfast too. They have an egg white sandwich on an english muffin that is yummy.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like their veggie patty on wheat. Love to load up all the veggies and banana peppers. Their southwest dressing is great but high in calories.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    IF I do 'eat out' it's my go to place. Probably the one place that doesn't make me feel guilty! :laugh:

I pretty much always have the 6 inch turkey on their wheat or their italian (the Italian is a little less cals) NO CHEESE, NO MAYO and I usually change up the veggies each time. Sometimes it's turkey with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cucumbers. Sometimes it's red onions, black olives, peppers, tomatoes, etc.

Less than 300 calories.

Edit: you can go to the subway site and under their nutritional info section you can pretty much build a sandwich and you can see how many cals or other things and can plan ahead that way.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I eat there every now and then. I normally get the turkey sub!
  • Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Options
    I eat there quite a bit because it's right next door to my work and I only get a 20 minute break for certain shifts.

I always get a 6inch sweet onion chicken teryaki on wheat bread toasted with american cheese, lettuce, tomato and cucumber topped with sweet onion sauce and lite mayo. Roughly 490 calories and absolutely delicious! Some people have issues about eating cheese and mayo etc, but I eat everything in moderation and haven't had any problems.
  • Camshaft84
    Camshaft84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're not careful with what sandwich you order it'll be loaded in sodium and carbs.

Stay away from ham, salami, most cheese, most dressings.

Honey Mustard and Light Mayonaise are my guilty pleasures - but even they arent the worse for you.

Turkey is probably your best bet when it comes to meats.

Stick with wheat breads or at least dont choose italian herb and cheese.

Edit - I've done some shopping around for fast food sammiches and the best sammich I can put together is from Jimmy Johns. The #4 Turkey Tom, as an unwich (no bread - its wrapped in lettuce leaves). Really good, low sodium, low carb.
  • hiswifetheirmommy
    hiswifetheirmommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating their sandwiches because it's just too much bread and I don't stay full very long after eating. However, I do like their salads and I get chicken breast cut up on top of it and it keeps me fuller longer than the sandwiches.
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Subway is just gross. In most cases there will be a local sandwich shop near you that uses much fresher and higher quality ingredients.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love veggies so my favorite is the Veggie Delight on wheat with no cheese. But that is only a every once in a while treat. Mainly I stick to the Veggie Delight salad with no cheese and I bring my own fat free dressing.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Subway is a good option if you're on the go..... i wouldn't eat there more than once or twice a week, sodium is high on most of the stuff.... but it's much healthier than other fast food places.... the veggie sub is great! :)
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have Subway as a special treat every couple months. I get a turkey and provolone sub on honey wheat toasted with baked bbq chips on it. That's it.
  • ufkw64
    ufkw64 Posts: 5
    Options
    I always had around 600 calories left for dinner and that allowed me to eat a 12 inch Chicken terriyaki! yummy too!:drinker:
  • raines_eric
    Options
    I eat there quite a bit because it's right next door to my work and I only get a 20 minute break for certain shifts.

I always get a 6inch sweet onion chicken teryaki on wheat bread toasted with american cheese, lettuce, tomato and cucumber topped with sweet onion sauce and lite mayo. Roughly 490 calories and absolutely delicious! Some people have issues about eating cheese and mayo etc, but I eat everything in moderation and haven't had any problems.

I'm very similar to this... 6" SOCT on wheat, but no cheese and not toasted. I load up the veggies... lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickle, black olive, and jalapeno... add the sweet onion sauce and I'm good to go! Keeps the calories right around 400 which is within my calorie goal for my lunch time.
  • Essie2511
    Essie2511 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks guys..lol..love the comments..I just moved and its one up tge street from me so I'd just get some opinions first..I'm just tired of salads..lol..but I'm gonna try it out:)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I eat there on occasion. I get the veggie on oat with no cheese or mayo. The chicken salads are good as well just watch with dressing. It is a good alternative if you have to eat out, which I do not do very often.
  • Jessi40
    Jessi40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love subway. I get the oven roasted chicken breast on wheat and add tons of spinach and other veggies and find it very filling. I also am starting to love their breakfast sandwich...

With four small kids in my car, I sometimes wish they had a drive through and I'd be eating there more often :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the breakfast wraps - Egg whites with some peppers, onions & tomatoes!

For lunch - turkey breast on whole wheat or in a wrap - with lots of veggies and regular mustard.
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love Subway as a lunch meal on occasion (or more than that because I love Subway). I use the following link to help me work out the calories, etc eaten ..

http://www.subway.com/Menu/MenuCategoryItems.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=35

Basically you choose the sandwich that is close to the sandwich you had and then hit the 'calculate yours' button on the right and it gives you the option to choose what you had for and on your sandwich, all the way down to the bun type and condiments.

It's an awesome tool that you can use beforehand even to figure out what you can get depending on your calorie level or calories remaining. :)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat there at least 3 times a week. I'm always on the go and it seems like it's the best place for me to get a quick bite that is affordable and healthy.
    I tend to get a 6' inch turkey on wheat bread with lite mayo and lettuce. Sometimes if I can make it work with my calorie allotment I'll do a meatball marinara. I have to stay away from their cookies because they are addictive little buggers! =]
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be loaded in sodium and carbs and probably the best idea is to visit their site to build your sandwich before you go. I normally get the 6" sweet onion chicken teriyaki on italian bread and load it down with fresh veggies. It's lower in sodium than some and is quite tasty with the sauce on the chicken. I think Subway tends to sound a lot healthier than it really is, but there could be much worse things to eat.