subway eating

Options

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The ham sub is surprisingly lower in sodium than turkey, on the cheaper $5 menu and so much more flavourful! Get that, no cheese (cheese is soo gross!) and all if not almost all the veggies to fill you up. It's excellent! I ate a foot long for dinner every night last week during an exam and yes its higher in sodium than making your own but I was still <2000mg everyday and it is so filling and such a treat both in flavour and by not having to cook dinner.

EDIT: I see you are in the US, the chicken breast in the US is on the $5 menu. More cals but much less sodium and even more filling, perhaps a 6 inch + a salad would be a perfect dinner. I always get that sub in the US on vaca b/c it's on the most expensive menu in Canada, $8.50 a foot long, BRUTAL!
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    LOVE Subway!! I get the footlong veggie on wheat with brown mustard. I get every veggie they have. It's around 500 cals, but it's a TON of food. Sometimes I can have it for two meals, depending on how hungry I am. It shouldn't be a every day meal, but when you want something quick without having to cook, it's the best option. :)

You can look up all the nutrition on their website. Subway.com
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I eat there all the time. But I only get the turkey. As far as bread goes, I just stick to the 9-grain wheat because that is what they base their nutrition facts on. The soup is yummy but high in sodium. They carry the Lay's Light potato chips. And the cookies are amazing, but you may want to work out to earn them cals.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    It's absurd the amount I love subway. I usually get ham on wheat or flatbread. Usually with apples or baked lays.
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do eat there sometimes... I like that I can add allllllll those veggies to make the sandwhich heartier but still be healthier then other "fast" food - the honey oat bread is really really good and I like a lot of thier sandwhiches but I would really ecommend looking at the info on MFP before you go; some of them are really high in sodium and fat - higher then you would think!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you don't have to eat there, I wouldn't. If you do have to eat there, I would suggest a salad with just veggies. Their breads are loaded with hfcs and other unnecessary chemicals and their meats are extremely processed and unnaturally high in sodium. You're better off making your own sandwich.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    subway is a decent option, had some last night

I stick with wheat, honey oat, or Italian (which is white I think) bread

I use to eat turkey, now mostly veggie, and last night I had bacon on mines

i keep it simple, tomato, bell peppers, lettuce, spinach, pepperjack/provolone cheese (either one)

and use sweet onion sauce, not as heavy or fattening like other dressings
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I love subway, I usually get the chicken salad..
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like making my own food that way I know exactly whats in it. But if I am on a road trip or out subway is a good choice. Always go for wheat bread or their wrap or salads. Skip the Mayo and go for mustard and a ton of veggies. Stay away from cheese or keep it light. I usually get the 6inch veggie or turkey. The 12 inch has way too many calories but if you do get it eat half for lunch and the other half for dinner. Get baked chips or some fruit as a side as well. :)
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    I get it a footlong every morning before work. I usually get the turkey on wheat with lettuce, cucumbers, onions, green peppers and light yellow mustard. I eat 6 inches for breakfast = 280 calories and then the other half for lunch= 280 calories with a side of veggies or fruit or almonds. So yummy and healthy.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    mmm…turkey on wheat with lots of veggies and just a tiny bit of reduced fat mayo. definitely try Subway. It's a great alternative to normal fast food and makes figuring out the calories really easy.
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    Options
    I only go about once every 2 months. I usually get the 6 inch,sweet onion terriyaki on flat bread. I divide it in half and make two meals out of it. But the sodium level is to high.It is a good treat for me. Just drink a lot of water.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Subway! It's one of my favorite places to eat. I love getting all the veggies and their yummy bread!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    On the occasion that it's what I have for whatever reason, I like to get the spinach and chicken breast salad. I get regular lettuce, baby spinach, a chopped up chicken breast, and all the veggies I want. Then I use oil and vinegar as the dressing. YUM. Once in a while, I'll get a turkey breast sub on wheat. They also have apples or yogurt you can get on the side, and they have baked chips.
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    I eat there all the time. Usually get a subway club on wheat. but I also just started eating their Veggie only salad. Pretty dang good actually. DON'T EAT THE COOKIES!!! They are the devil. Just 4 cookies would put you way high in Cals...lol
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm usually eating there once a week. It's the only place in the mall that I work at that has anything somewhat good for you and cheap-ish.

I love the chicken teryaki.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    There's a lottttttt of sodium in their meats. Make sure you drink a good amount of water after their meals. Even their soups
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    I worked there for a while, and while I still definitely enjoy eating there every so often, be sure to not make it a daily thing. Their wheat breads are actually made with high fructose corn syrup, so if that is something that concerns you, the white bread is healthier. All the sandwich meat is loaded with sodium, but that's kind of a given considering it's all processed food. I suggest if you get meat, go for roast beef, because that's the one meat that isn't processed. Also, all their dressings except for yellow mustard contain high fructose corn syrup.
  • Mrcheeks1
    Options
    If you go to www.Subway.com you can pick your sub, then "build" it by selecting the length (6" or footlong) and toppings. This will give you complete nutritional information which you can then plug into MFP. It is very helpful.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Random Question: Can you get a breakfast sandwich anytime? I haven't been there in over a year, but would if I could get breakfast nummies for lunch :)