CrossFit

Options
124»

Replies

• Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    Also, to become a "certified" Crossfit instructor, you just have to pay $1000 and attend a week long course...no pass/fail test. To become a higher level instructor, you pay more money and attend another course....still no pass/fail test. So pretty much, if you have cash, you're certified to teach Crossfit. Not to mention, most Crossfit gyms cost $100+ a month....no thanks.

Generalize much?

As someone else mentioned Cross-Fit gyms vary widely in cost and quality. IF you are getting a good deal I would check it out. Worst case scenario is you love but the cost goes up 2x to 3x, so you just do it on your own. Might be hard finding a tractor tire to flip but pretty much every other WOD can be mimicked at a standard gym and often times at home.

Are you disputing the fact that all you have to do to become a certified Crossfit instructor is to pay some money and attend a class? That's not generalizing, that's informing. Are there more educated Crossfit instructors? Sure. Are there Crossfit instructors with no other formal training? Sure. That doesn't change the fact that there is no true certification and you really don't know who you're getting to watch over you as you're pushing your body to its limits. Or are you disputing that Crossfit gyms cost $100 a month or more, because I haven't seen one that costs less.

Mine is free....and all of the instructors are Crossfit certified on top of their fitness credentials...But I do agree that a lot of the gyms that chrage are totally raping people at over 100 a month. I go to the website on days I can't make it and they give you the list of exercises and videos that teach you how to perform the movements. www.trinity-fitness.org

Then again this is a faith based gym and some people won't like the prayer or devotion before/after the work out but it works for me!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I think it's awful that people are letting their kids get involved in Crossfit. The YMCA is a much better enviornment for children.

It may be awful letting him go out the house with those pants on, but not getting into exercising at a young age

LOL.

That little dude in your pic has what, a 60lb snatch going on there? Not bad for a little guy. I'd rather have my kids doing that than sitting on their *kitten*.

Our YMCA has weights...and they teach kids how to lift weights...ooooooohhhh no....I guess the YMCA is bad too now...

Are you literate? I was being complimentary not dogging him about lifting and neither was the person I quoted.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Are you literate? I was being complimentary not dogging him about lifting and neither was the person I quoted.

Maybe she didn't intend on quoting that whole post.

I am impressed by that kid though! I can only snatch like 85lbs.

For people that think it causes so much injury... in three years of basketball in school I broke my fingers repeatedly, had tendinitis in both knees so bad from back to back seasons of volleyball and basketball that I crawled out of bed every morning, was forced to run until I had asthma attacks during practice and also had horrible shin splints. This all happened under the supervision of multiple coaches who are supposed experts as well as salaried trainers hired by the school district. So public school sports are unhealthy and dangerous and no one should do them or allow their children to with this "if it causes injury you shouldn't do it" logic. Select/club/off season sports should be banned as well especially because you could get injured doing it and YOU'RE PAYING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS A MONTH TO DO IT! Oh the horror!

Heck, typing at my keyboard 10 hours a day is probably going to give me carpal tunnel syndrome, I should probably stop. Oh wait, then I'd get fired.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I am impressed by that kid though! I can only snatch like 85lbs.

I am definitely impressed with the kid. Power Snatches are more technique than strength, so the snatch is even more impressive to me. :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think it's awful that people are letting their kids get involved in Crossfit. The YMCA is a much better enviornment for children.

It may be awful letting him go out the house with those pants on, but not getting into exercising at a young age

LOL.

That little dude in your pic has what, a 60lb snatch going on there? Not bad for a little guy. I'd rather have my kids doing that than sitting on their *kitten*.

Our YMCA has weights...and they teach kids how to lift weights...ooooooohhhh no....I guess the YMCA is bad too now...

I was going back to the first poster who was stating about the YMCA being a better place for kids...my girls want to lift weights just like their momma...
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The YMCA has lots of great programs for kids, and is a much better atmosphere for children than Crossfit. I honestly don't know what partents that enroll their children in the kids version of Crossfit are thinking It's just another way for the Crossfit franchises to make money, but if I knew anyone that was thinking about enrolling their kids there, I would strongly advise them to do some research on why kids should not be doing some of the activities they push in that program.

At the YMCA, kids learn to swim, dance, do craft projects, and lots of other activities that help them develop physically as well as socially. If they want to lift weights, there's plenty of time to do that when they are adults.

This is what the MayoClinic says on the issue of kids and weight training:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/HQ01010
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Exactly....starting children too young can be detrimental to their health. Now I don't know anything about the Crossfit kids programs, but if they're starting them out with a PVC pipe or lightweight dow rod to teach them form, great. I think sports heavy in running, like soccer or basketball, is more beneficial to kids thant weight training. I wouldn't even consider letting my daughter lift weights until she was 13 or so.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Exactly....starting children too young can be detrimental to their health. Now I don't know anything about the Crossfit kids programs, but if they're starting them out with a PVC pipe or lightweight dow rod to teach them form, great. I think sports heavy in running, like soccer or basketball, is more beneficial to kids thant weight training. I wouldn't even consider letting my daughter lift weights until she was 13 or so.
    THIS. The only strength training kids under 15 should do is bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Cross fit will kick your *kitten*, but if you are diligent it will get you into shape. It is based on competitiveness, so if you have that in your blood it will probably work for you. However, be VERY careful that you get a good gym because your trainer has to know how to teach you how to do all the lifting and such properly so you don't hurt yourself. You will be pushed to do lifts and things when you are under extreme duress and so you have to make sure you don't hurt yourself. Cross fit gyms are usually almost like a cult so you either will love it or hate it, so maybe they will let you check it out first.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    One big problem with Crossfit is that most people going into the program have no idea as to how to determine if a coach really knows what they are doing or is really going to take time to make sure they have sufficient training to do the difficult lifts properly before releasing them to basically do the workout on their own.

Personally, I don't like the extremism and cultish nature of Crossfit, so I will stay clear of it.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    One big problem with Crossfit is that most people going into the program have no idea as to how to determine if a coach really knows what they are doing or is really going to take time to make sure they have sufficient training to do the difficult lifts properly before releasing them to basically do the workout on their own.

like with any gym and/or personal trainer, a person has to do their research before signing up. between the internet and free trial offers that most gyms offer, it is easier then ever to find evaluations.
    Personally, I don't like the extremism and cultish nature of Crossfit, so I will stay clear of it.

if that is what deterred you from joining or even taking an intro class, i'm sorry. my experience with crossfit, and crossfitters, has not been extremist or cultish. at least, no more cultish then any other sports or exercise enthusiast. my brother can be considered extremist because all he does is play soccer. he plays 5-6 times a week, is part of several leagues a year, and is always hounding me to play. he goes on and on about how sports is the best, you have fun, yadda yadda yadda. heys just enthusiastic about what he does.

the same could be said about runners that encourage other people to run, and talk about the runners high and how many miles they've done, and their pace, etc. or body builders, taking about their new best one-rep max, or how they are eating 250g of protein or whatever.

please, rachel, if just to further support your argument that crossfit is super elitist or cultish, sign up for a free class at your local box. to paraphrase my athiest friend in high school that read the bible, "you need to know what you are arguing against."
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I think that is a girl!!
  • melodyking
    Options
    i find no problem getting the kids involved. wish there's a more suitable equipment for them though. i'm looking for medballs and kettle that a 5 year old would be okay with. no luck though at the local bestbuys and walmarts. any ideas? found this page on fb, https://www.facebook.com/WODtoys, but they're not shipping yet. are there alternatives?
  • CindyBretta
    Options
    How about enrolling them in kid's exercise classes or dance classes or sports groups? There are SO many ways kids can get exercise without having to deal with Crossfit. Check with your local community center, YMCA, school, etc and you should be able to find some good options.