ditch too big clothes?

Options
I recently lost 22 lbs (since Jan 1) with the help of you all and MFP. I'm far from my goal weight, but I noticed that my jeans don't really fit anymore and some of my tops are way too big and bulky. I brought some stuff down to the basement, but now I'm thinking why not just donate it all, right? Wouldn't that somehow be more wishfulfilling/positive than saving all the big clothes in case I gain the weight back? What have you done with your too big clothes?

Replies

• karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    donate. Refuse to go back.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I get rid of them as soon as I can fit into something smaller. I don't keep them around AT ALL.
  • bdgstone1
    bdgstone1 Posts: 18
    Options
    agreed...I went form a 50 to a 38 waist and gave away ALL my big clothes....never going back!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    YES get rid of them and get new ones - people really start noticing the difference when you've got nice new stuff that fits well.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I got rid of them all.

Then I gained back 30lbs.

I don't recommend gaining back the weight. Expensive lesson :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I just dropped a big bag at the Goodwill. You can also check your area to see if there are any battered women's shelters or crisis pregnancy homes that could use donations. Makes you feel good in more ways than one. :-)
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I actually saved mine but only just in case I get preggo one more time. After my b day this year - donate!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Take a picture of you in your biggest pants and then get rid of them. You know, holding them out from your waist to show your progress.

I get rid of too big clothes. I can't go back there. It's a big motivator.
  • lissadavis
    lissadavis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Last week I gave away my bigger work clothes (business casual) but kept my bigger "around the house" clothes. That felt about right to me. Enough to celebrate, but not so scary that it triggered some kind of nasty relapse ;-p

13278165.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options
    I use mine as rags to wash shakira (my car lol)
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I haven't ditched them yet. For some reason I feel a bit "sad" at throwing them out?? I am happy with my weight loss, But I haven't adjusted in my head yet to being thin!
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    save something for the pictures later tho...some pants you can put on and hold out to 'there' and say "look what I used to wear" and LOOK AT ME NOW!!!! :glasses:
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I'm about to get rid of the clothes I just bought a couple months back when I went down a size. Everytime I reach that milestone I am getting it out and to Goodwill. Not only do the new clothes fit better but it gives me more incentive to maintain my new size. If I ever did go back I want it to hurt and I want to have to shop and really think about it and hopefully get myself back on track.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Donate them all. Never go back. Keeping the old is like an omen.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've already donated a bunch of my shirts and tops and plan to do the same as I go since there's a ton of donation places around here and I know there's needy people that are big.

However there are several shirts (I'm a huge graphic tee person) I'll be sad to let go of so when the time comes I'm going to make a few into pillows and the rest I'm going to cut out the graphics and stitch them all together and put on a huge canvas (it's like 4 feet tall) I've had for a while and hang it on my wall. That way I can still enjoy the designs and also show off how far I've come.

I think though with the ones I use to sleep in I may just use them as house rags. They're too tattered and covered in paint/glue/bleach to give away.
  • kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would save one pair of jeans only - just so when you meet your goal you can see your progress by slipping them on and letting them fall right off! Or at least take a picture like the others suggested. I wish I would have kept one pair when I lost weight a few years ago, just a reminder of how far I've come when I start to beat myself up! Congrats on your weight loss, btw!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I gave away everything except one shirt and one pair of pants, for my "after" pictures. It's so much fun shopping for new stuff, and I didn't want the possibility of ever needing the old sizes again.

I learned my lesson from the first go-round, too. I won't be wearing a bunch of stretchy clothes now. It's way too easy to grow bigger without realizing it. Now I choose tailored and fitted shapes, so if I start to creep back up, my clothes will alert me before it gets out of control.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I'm about to get rid of the clothes I just bought a couple months back when I went down a size. Everytime I reach that milestone I am getting it out and to Goodwill. Not only do the new clothes fit better but it gives me more incentive to maintain my new size. If I ever did go back I want it to hurt and I want to have to shop and really think about it and hopefully get myself back on track.

^this! I saved one pair of pants, so I can eventually stand in one leg and give a big smile. Everything else GOES
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Get them out of the house! Each size I have dropped I have put all of that size clothes up on freecycle and gave them away. Out of the house so I never have a bigger size pair of pants to slip into. :)
  • tlcamp81
    tlcamp81 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would maybe keep one pair of pants and one shirt that way when you are at your goal you can compare, but them would get rid of all the rest.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!