Protein Shakes ladies?!

Options
2fit4fat
2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
I am wondering what protein shakes you use and why?! Any I should stay away from?! (for any reason just tell me why to stay away) are there any that are better for women? does that even matter? lol in my search it doesnt seem to but if you have found anything like that let me know!

Replies

• lauryn86
    lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i dont drink pre made ones but jillian michaels whey protein-(ive had the chocolate) is really good. You can make a strawberry chocolate shake with one scoop protein, a cup of frozen strawberries, sweetner added to taste, and either some almond breeze or FF milk. Its really good.
  • Aleyonce
    Aleyonce Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Optimum Whey protein powder is pretty good. its low in carbs and sugar and protein is about 24 grams. Banana Cream is pretty good!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I get mine from Costco. Premier Nutrition Protein Shakes. 160 cals, 3 fat, 5 carbs, 30 protein. I really like the Chocolate ones, I just stick them in the freezer since I like mine kinda icy (taste like a cho milk shake to me) and the Vanilla ones are really yummy with strawberries!

I started drinking them when I was doing low carb and couldn't get enough protein during the day. Now I just drink them cause I like them and keep me full. =D
  • Missrye
    Missrye Posts: 2
    Options
    I really like EAS advantEDGE shakes, they are a little more expensive (about 5-7 dollars for a four pack) but I think they taste the best and have a lot of nutrients.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I really like EAS advantEDGE shakes, they are a little more expensive (about 5-7 dollars for a four pack) but I think they taste the best and have a lot of nutrients.

These are good too. I used to drink them all the time. I just got tired of paying so much since I have one just about everyday.
  • MelsieK
    MelsieK Posts: 72
    Options
    I've got the BSC Hydroxyburn Pro, rocky road flavour at the moment, around 159 calories for a 40g serve, 30 g protein and 4g carbs. I also use Dymatize ISO 100, don't have the stats for that on hand. But it's around the same as the BSC. These are both on the higher end of cost, but I find they're both good products and don't mind paying for them.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I was using Melaleuca, which was by FAR the best protein powder I've ever had, but they recently changed their formula to sucralose, which my body doesn't tolerate well. So now I'm using the EAS advantEDGE strawberry now.

I've tried other brands and most of them my body doesn't like. My body does like the Vela protein and the Vela whole food optimizer (but it's expensive and, well, it's green and funny smelling, lol!)
  • natalieanthony
    natalieanthony Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask. I'm going to pick up my protein powder tomorrow. I am primarily vegetarian, i sometimes eat seafood and fish. I also don't eat any sugar at all, only a select few natural sweeteners so no splenda or suculose or any of those half sugars. I chose vegasport performance protein because they use stevia to sweeten it and it is vegan. it's also not whey protein which i understand is not very good for you.

I have no idea what its like but I can post again once i try it.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Optimum Whey protein powder is pretty good. its low in carbs and sugar and protein is about 24 grams. Banana Cream is pretty good!

Yup, that is where it is at! The Chocolate is not too shabby either :)
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    Designer Whey protein low cal, fat, and sugar. They have a lot of flavors and their website has a good chunk of recipes including a shamrock shake. I purchase mine from the Vitaman Shoppe.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I drink Herbalife Chocolate Protein Mix with one cup of unsweetened almond milk. Yummy.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I drink the Alive! Apple-Cinnamon shakes which come in soy or pea protein. They're good. Smell kinda funny and are green, but I honestly really enjoy them. I also drink EAS Whey Vanilla (comes in a 5lb bag at BJs). Sometimes I mix the two together and it's even more delicious. The Alive! ones also have a lot of vitamins in them, so that's my breakfast and it gives me a ton of energy.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't a shake, but I have a protein bar that I'd love to recommend...

Quest Bar.

NO sugar alcohols (all natural!), a ton of fiber (like 70% of your daily recommended intake), only 4 net carbs per bar, high quality protein, plenty of flavors to choose from, they're delicious and keep you full and satisfied for a long time!

My favorites are the apple pie and vanilla almond.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Quest Bars!!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Tried a few. Like them all. But I have three flavors in my pantry now and they are all by Syntrax Nectar. Yummy! Add ingredients you like and blend or just add water.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I like the Aria protein shakes sold on Amazon (whey/soy combo). Chocolate with banana, peanut butter or vanilla with mixed berries. I mix both with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Yummy.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    after lots of research and trial and error. I use Vega whole food powder. I only use one scoop, with 1/2 cup of milk(or milk substitute) and 1/2 to 1 cup water and 1 1/2 cups of frozen fruit of choice. blend well and enjoy.

It has None of the following; SOY, wheat or gluten, artificial colours, artificial sweetners, artificial flavors.
    this is important to me, I dont want to consume any extra soy, or gluten. artificial sweetners are also on my do not consume list.

its all natural and very very healthy. It took a try or two to like the taste, but im picky. once I added the fruit and milk(not necessary I just like it) and make sure its cold (thus the frozen fruit) I crave it now, a great fast way to start the day.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No, men and women do not need separate protein shakes. No one NEEDS protein shakes. If you can hit your protein minimum without one, you don't need it.

I use Body Fortress Whey Isolate because it's cheap, taste alright, and I can buy it at the grocery store.
  • Mrsairforce
    Mrsairforce Posts: 130
    Options
    I use AMP 100% Whey in chocolate. I mix it in every morning with almond milk, honey and ice.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Yup, that is where it is at! The Chocolate is not too shabby either :)

I love the Vanilla Creme, it's pretty good and there is no after taste.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am using GNC Pro Performance Amp Wheybolic Extreme. I have had chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. I like them because one scoop is 98 cals and 20 grams of protein. I loved Jillian's premade vanilla shake but it had about 150 cals and only 15 grams of protein.
    I also like that it mixes with water and tastes good, but usually if I am at home I mix it with almond milk.
    The only thing that I don't like about it is that does contain sucralose (which is not sacharine, it is derived from sugar like splenda) but I have still not made up my mind up about whether that is good, so I might switch to Promasil, which I have heard is a good one with Stevia (not sucralose).
    I don't think there is any reason a woman's protein should be different but I don't know...